Alaska Interior heating up..finally

narsibvl

Fairbanks is reaching 80's next week when we are there with no rains(as of now). The temps are finally looking up.

What do you mean by "finally?"

We were there May 22 and 23 and got sunburned! The weather was glorious.

It was the same in Denali and in Anchorage.:)

We left home (Fairbanks) on April 9th, and returned on May 20th (we were on a cruise vacation of course!). It was snowing the day we flew out and the whole time we were gone the weather was unusually cold. It was a late spring for Fairbanks. Just days after we returned home Fairbanks hit the mid-80sF. We had some cooler weather several days ago, but we should be back into the 80s tomorrow. And the forecast for Sunday calls for the 90s.

The current forecast for Interior Alaska calls for highs in the 80s and 90s for the next two weeks, with little rain. Heaven only knows how accurate that forecast is. Unfortunately we are very dry, and if we have some dry lightening storms we will have forest fires.

We left home (Fairbanks) on April 9th, and returned on May 20th (we were on a cruise vacation of course!). It was snowing the day we flew out and the whole time we were gone the weather was unusually cold. It was a late spring for Fairbanks. Just days after we returned home Fairbanks hit the mid-80sF. We had some cooler weather several days ago, but we should be back into the 80s tomorrow. And the forecast for Sunday calls for the 90s.

The current forecast for Interior Alaska calls for highs in the 80s and 90s for the next two weeks, with little rain. Heaven only knows how accurate that forecast is. Unfortunately we are very dry, and if we have some dry lightening storms we will have forest fires.

I don't want it like this; :mad: I want it cool for when I'm there in late August. If I wanted hot weather, I'd go to the Caribbean or stay here in San Diego. I would love the 60's. Can someone look into this please? :D

I don't want it like this; :mad: I want it cool for when I'm there in late August. If I wanted hot weather, I'd go to the Caribbean or stay here in San Diego. I would love the 60's. Can someone look into this please? :D

I'll relay your concerns to the Fairbanks North Star Borough mayor! But you know how politicians are -- hiz'honor may just pass the buck!

But seriously, the fact that Interior Alaska can be quite warm in the summer can surprise visitors. It is a very dry heat though. Fairbanks is described as being an Arctic desert.

I'll relay your concerns to the Fairbanks North Star Borough mayor! But you know how politicians are -- hiz'honor may just pass the buck!

But seriously, the fact that Interior Alaska can be quite warm in the summer can surprise visitors. It is a very dry heat though. Fairbanks is described as being an Arctic desert.

Oh, yes, the infamous "dry heat". :p That's what they say in Arizona. Just like standing in front of an open oven door :D

I'll be in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Denali and finally Fairbanks. I'm only in Fairbanks for one day. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have sunshine and I won't complain if it rains. Looks like my pasty skin is going to be slathering on the factor 80 sunscreen. :)

Oh, yes, the infamous "dry heat". :p That's what they say in Arizona. Just like standing in front of an open oven door :D

Well, not only do we have "dry heat" here in Fairbanks we also have the infamous "dry cold." So minus 50F doesn't reallllly feel thattttt cold. You know how it is -- anything colder than -20F just feels the same.

What do you mean by "finally?"

We were there May 22 and 23 and got sunburned! The weather was glorious.

It was the same in Denali and in Anchorage.:)

Hehe..I guess I will just ship our thick coats onto the ship directly and depend on multi layers for the land part.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well, not only do we have "dry heat" here in Fairbanks we also have the infamous "dry cold." So minus 50F doesn't reallllly feel thattttt cold. You know how it is -- anything colder than -20F just feels the same.

I can't even phantom how any temperature in the negatives feel.....a born and raised Floridian :cool:

I didn't even see snow until I was in college! ;)

Hehe..I guess I will just ship our thick coats onto the ship directly and depend on multi layers for the land part.

In the summer you wont need any thick coats in Alaska. A sweatshirt or a sweater, plus a good rain jacket, would be all that you need.

In the summer you wont need any thick coats in Alaska. A sweatshirt or a sweater, plus a good rain jacket, would be all that you need.

Even in Hubbard Glacier ? Seward Kenai Fjords ? Or while whale watching in Hoonah ?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Bad news for you guys looking for cooler weather in Fairbanks. I just was taking with a guy who says they expect it to be over 80 for the next 3 weeks up there....

They are talking record heat in Juneau too here is the 10 day forecast. Note this week end will be almost 80 down there!

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Juneau+AK+USAK0116

Bad news for you guys looking for cooler weather in Fairbanks. I just was taking with a guy who says they expect it to be over 80 for the next 3 weeks up there....

They are talking record heat in Juneau too here is the 10 day forecast. Note this week end will be almost 80 down there!

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Juneau+AK+USAK0116

We had a last minute packing changes to make yesterday because of this. Its all done now...Phew...I guess Chena hot springs trip looks more and more in doubt now....maybe we will hit that place later in the day..

We had a last minute packing changes to make yesterday because of this. Its all done now...Phew...I guess Chena hot springs trip looks more and more in doubt now....maybe we will hit that place later in the day..

Yeah nothing like soaking in hot water when it is 80 degrees! :p

Our forecast for the next 5 days has me cringing. There's a reason we stay here in the summer rather than travel to warmer climes. I hope all those who will be here on land the next 5 days are bringing shorts and sandals!

Archived