Question for Terry in Ohio

Hi from Perrysburg. I enjoy your pictures as I previously stated. I started a thread in the camera section of Cruise Critic asking about 18-135 vs 24-105 lenses and my concern for the wide angle end, and got some good opinions. I'm curious about your camera (I've got a Canon 7D) and the lens that you use on the wider angle shots. I really only want to take one lens with me for convenience. What is your opinion? Anyone else can add their opinion, too, please.

I'm sure Terry will come on and give his thoughts. We are going to the Baltics next year, and as others have pointed out in your Camera forum thread, we can expect to be shooting a lot of interiors as well as huge churches and other buildings from the exterior.

I'm a Nikon shooter, so I'm not familiar with your Canon; is it a full frame or crop? If the latter, then I think you will want to consider also taking an ultra wide lens with you. I'm like you-- I'd prefer to carry only one lens when walking around in ports. (Mine is either the Nikon 18-200 or 18-300.) But for ports like these, I'm also going to bring my 12-24mm, as my camera is a crop sensor and I want to be able to get those expansive inside shots. Below, by way of example, is the interior of Salisbury Cathedral, shot at 12mm, the equivalent of about 18mm on a full frame camera. If I'm not mistaken, Terry (also a Nikon shooter) brings an ultra wide with him; again, I'm sure he'll come on here to say!

SalisburyCathedral_zpsb23bd6d2.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Hi from Perrysburg. I enjoy your pictures as I previously stated. I started a thread in the camera section of Cruise Critic asking about 18-135 vs 24-105 lenses and my concern for the wide angle end, and got some good opinions. I'm curious about your camera (I've got a Canon 7D) and the lens that you use on the wider angle shots. I really only want to take one lens with me for convenience. What is your opinion? Anyone else can add their opinion, too, please.

Will post more later on the photo board of CC on your camera lens question. There are always . . . "TRADE-OFFS"!!?? Plus and minus factors. You'd like one lens to do it "ALL". But, one lens doing a wider range tends to have more weight and compromise a little on quality. There is no one right, perfect answer.

Yes, know Perrysburg very, very well. Had shared this in response to one of your posts. Understand Perrysburg, both, the earlier, older town, plus the newer high-growth areas that exist in and around there today. My mother grew up in Perrysburg and graduated from the old, downtown high school in 1936, plus other of her family members lived there and nearby. PLUS, have worked with a number of public officials and media folks in that area in recent years. My mother and family were not on the rich, River Road side of the town there. Just, regular working folks! Almost like home for me!!

Glad you've got past Europe travel experiences, plus are planning some pre-trips options for Paris, Belgium, etc. Can share lots and lots of great tips and secrets for there, etc. Let me know what is of help or value to you and your family. Have lots of great visuals from those areas, including Paris, Bruges, Ghent, Brussels, etc. Visited Amsterdam way back in 1970 when in college.

Keep firing away on those good, smart questions. Happy to communicate directly if that is of help.

Great above, as always, picture and info from turtles06. Wonderful sharing. I am, like turtles06, a Nikon guy. About 40 years, plus, with Nikon. Getting ready to maybe get a new Nikon D7100, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,075 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From my experience, what you need in cities/churches/museums is wide angle. Canon 7D has a crop factor of 1.6x. Sony-Minolta Alpha (that I use) and Nikon have crop factor 1.5x. I have noticed that I can handle most objects with my Sony 18-70mm lens (comparable to 17-66mm for Canon) and I'm mostly working near the wide end of the lens. I sometimes have a Minolta 35-105mm with me but I rarely find the need to change to it.

Archived