Carnival Liberty Eastern Review 2013

After the comedy show, we headed to the main theater for "Edge Presents The Evolution." We truly had no idea what this was going to be...I thought it was a song and dance show but it was so much more!

Edge is a former clown turned full-time entertainer. He is a juggler and yo-yo master and a little bit of a comedian, too! We really enjoyed this show. He is super talented and hilarious.

As Dave said, we spent some time at the Red Frog Deck Party. I have a monster case of Plantar Fasciitis (serious foot pain) so I had "used up" my steps for the day. Thankfully, I received a cortisone shot before the cruise so I was in much better shape than usual with my foot pain but after walking around Half Moon Cay and the ship all day, I had to sit out the party and watch from the sidelines. I looked like a blast though!

We went to bed tired and happy!

Hi there. We are cruising in August and I am in the throes of a bad case of plantar fasciitis. I feel so much better when I am wearing my Brooks sneakers which were recommended to me. I'm curious as to what you wore on your feet during the cruise?

Hi there. We are cruising in August and I am in the throes of a bad case of plantar fasciitis. I feel so much better when I am wearing my Brooks sneakers which were recommended to me. I'm curious as to what you wore on your feet during the cruise?

I usually wear my Asics 100% of the time (even when I was teaching). But since I had my cortisone shot to help out, I also wore FitFlops which are very supportive--basically the only other type of shoe I can wear and not die in pain. This worked well for the beach and lido deck when sneakers aren't going to be the best choice.

Hi again! Sorry for the delay. It is truly amazing how unproductive I can be now that I'm on summer break--I am pushing the limits of doing nothing to the absolute extreme:p

We woke up today and hit the Lido for the buffet--mistake! This was the only time I ate there (I think) and it was annoying. I stood in 4 lines and every time it was my turn at the french toast pan, they ran out. Someone was about to get hurt! Thankfully, I had some in the dining room later in the week. Today I had to suffer through some other random pickings.

We were originally going to taxi to Sapphire Beach but after 3 days in the sun we were kind of tired and sunned out. I was also nervous that the kids would be bored because it had been choppy and you can't really wade at Sapphire--steep drop. It's more of a snorkel spot.

We thought about switching to Magen's Bay but ultimately decided to just walk around the port and shop some. It was overcast and we didn't want to get all the way out there and have it rain.

100_2743.jpg

100_2750.jpg

Senor Frogs at the port--we walked by but there was nothing going on. Pool looks straight out of a horror show--GREEN!!

100_2748.jpg

Love how Dave didn't get the words in here!

100_2753.jpg

100_2756.jpg

Once back on board, we ate lunch (Guy's, of course!) and grabbed a spot at the Lido Deck. This was actually a great afternoon--we read and enjoyed the lack of chaos out there. The kids walked around, swam, did Camp Carnival activities. Very relaxed!

I have to give a shout out again to the live music out on deck. The guitarists know a ton of popular songs and I so enjoyed just hanging out and listening to them. They're on You Tube as well! (Andy Ferguson)

I think we ate late at Lido tonight. A few of the nights just didn't sound appealing so we skipped the long dinner in favor of something more casual.

The entertainment staff hosted a Mardi Gras party tonight in the atrium. This is probably not the best place for an event like this because there really isn't a lot of room. They played the usual line dance songs but we had to leave the dance floor because we were getting bumped/stepped on. I applaud the idea but it was just too crazy.

I think we might have watched some of the NBA games on the big screen instead and had some late night snacks. Fun night regardless!

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST REVIEWS I HAVE ever READ ON cruise critic. keep it coming.

Kelly, San Juan is also our least favorite port. Since I heard they are re-opening La Bombonera, we will take a walk there for some mallorcas and then head back to the ship and enjoy the emptiness! Loving the review....it's just the fix I needed!! :)

A new day and we were headed to one of our favorite ports: Grand Turk! We visited GT a couple years back when we sailed on the Valor and were looking forward to returning.

The ship arrived in Grand Turk a bit before 11 and the place was already packed due to one other Carnival ship in port. They had arrived around 8 or 9 and wold depart at 2ish (we weren't departing until 5).

Jack had reservations to "surf" at the Flowrider around 1:30 so we decided to walk down the beach to what looked like a small waterpark anchored in the ocean. My kids LOVE these inflatables and we didn't know they had them in GT.

100_2881.jpg

We walked 5-10 mins down the beach (very easy walk) and a woman approached us to sell us the bands to use the inflatables. She charged the kids $10 each and in return Dave and I were able to use free loungers. Yeah!

100_2860.jpg

This place was actually just a door or two down from Jack's Shack. We loved being down here! So pretty and the water was crystal clear and perfect temperature. I will say the water gets deep fast! Basically three or four feet from the shore you can barely stand (kids would not be able to stand). My kids are good swimmers so it was fine but there are no life vests or anything like that to use.

100_2875.jpg

100_2862.jpg

Dave walked down to Jack's Shack and bought a bucket of the local beer---yum! I think he said it was $25.

100_2879.jpg

I wish we could have stayed here all afternoon but we had to head back to Margaritaville for Jack's FlowRider adventure.

We walked back down to Margaritaville and had absolutely perfect timing. A few folks were packing up and leaving and gave us their chairs which were right next to the pool and the Flowrider!

Jack checked in for FlowRider and I signed his waiver. He was surfing the "deluxe" experience which is 1.5 hours and includes stand up surfing. He did the regular experience last time which he enjoyed (only knee board surfing).

We cooled off in the pool and waited for the action to start.

We didn't have an umbrella and it is very hot so make sure to keep applying sunscreen!

Finally they got started and participants just wait in a line and take turns. You get a lot of turns over the course of the 1.5 hours.

100_2893.jpg

100_2902.jpg

100_2906.jpg

By this time it's 3ish and we were hungry. We knew Margaritaville was expensive so we just ordered nachos to share. Take a look at these $25 nachos. Yes, $25!!!!

100_2898.jpg

Megan and Dave decided to ride a banana boat while Jack finished up. Mistake! I'll let Dave tell you more about it but he did not think this was safe and would not be something we would do again ($20 per person. by the way).

Jack's Flowrider ended going for almost 2 hours so we were sunned out by the time it was over and headed back to the ship for some real food.

Overall a super fun day in Grand Turk. We would return here any time!!!

Here's a few pics of Grand Turk!

100_2908.jpg

100_2907.jpg

I usually wear my Asics 100% of the time (even when I was teaching). But since I had my cortisone shot to help out, I also wore FitFlops which are very supportive--basically the only other type of shoe I can wear and not die in pain. This worked well for the beach and lido deck when sneakers aren't going to be the best choice.

I have enjoyed your review very much...thanks for sharing.

I also have had to endure the pain of plantar fasciitis, but have not had any foot pain for a couple of years. What helped for me was stretching, an ice cold water bottle to rock back and forth on your arch, and inserts in your shoes (see a foot doctor). You can get rid of your pain.;):D

I have enjoyed your review very much...thanks for sharing.

I also have had to endure the pain of plantar fasciitis, but have not had any foot pain for a couple of years. What helped for me was stretching, an ice cold water bottle to rock back and forth on your arch, and inserts in your shoes (see a foot doctor). You can get rid of your pain.;):D

Thanks! I actually just got the custom orthotics and they do seem to be helping. I have literally tried it all at this point (except acupuncture but it's on the list). I'm even taking fish oil capsules:eek: Summer is helping tons since I'm not on my feet as much as I am during a school day. Hoping to heal it by fall:)

Loving your review! I am trying to decide on a cruise for my 40th in 2015 and I think the Liberty has jumped to the top of the list of considerations.

In regards to the foot fasciitis have you ever had a message therapist work on your feet? I go to my message therapist who is able to breakdown the build up of scar tissue and calcium buildup through deep tissue message. Works fantastic and I hardly ever get the pain any more.

Thanks! I actually just got the custom orthotics and they do seem to be helping. I have literally tried it all at this point (except acupuncture but it's on the list). I'm even taking fish oil capsules:eek: Summer is helping tons since I'm not on my feet as much as I am during a school day. Hoping to heal it by fall:)

Ok, since someone asked about our cabin...let's get this nastiness out of the way fast!

We were in cabin 9274...and it sucked!

The location was absolutely amazing--we had this exact cabin on the Valor 2 years ago and I loved it (which is why I booked it on Liberty).

But, it is in need of massive TLC.

-balcony light does not work (front desk said it's controlled by the bridge and interferes with navigation??) I think this is BS as the cabins next to us worked and the Valor worked. Plus the light did not even work during the day.

-SHOWER FLOODED EVERY DAY!!!!! With 4 people in the cabin, this was the absolute worst. Drain was insanely slow and even taking a "military shower" was too long. Bathroom was a pool! Told the cabin steward but it never got better. Total mess!

-Crazy drawers that were near impossible to open. We didn't complain about this one but an hour before we docked in Grand Turk, we came back to someone taking our whole bed apart to fix the underneath drawer (didn't know this one was even broken). I asked them to leave until we were onshore. I guess it was fixed--it wasn't one we used.

-Cabin steward never came and introduced himself. In 9 cruises, I've never experienced this. He did take good care of the cabin but wish we got to meet. Had to leave him notes for ice since never got to verbally give preferences.

This did not ruin our cruise by any means but I would not book this cabin again.

On NO! I just starting reading this and was s excited that we are in the exact same cabin in October! This is our first cruise in a very long time and our kids first one and we are so excited. I am bummed the room sounds like it needs some work. Hopefully by October some things are fixed! Now off to read the rest of your review!

Later on DW and I took in the comedy show. We saw Happy Cole. He was awesome! Here is how I judge a comedian--if my side hurts when I laugh and I start to tear up then its a great show. Yeah Happy Cole got me to that point. Here is why he is awesome--he works in great sound effects. I would highly recommend going to the punchliner comedy club, but just remember to get there early as it fills up quickly. I like how Carnival offers this as an alternative entertainment option--gives you something else to do.

I LOVE Happy Cole. I have seen him on a couple of cruises and he is by far, the best I have ever heard. Best thing, he is from Tampa so we get to enjoy him locally as well.

Loving your review! I am trying to decide on a cruise for my 40th in 2015 and I think the Liberty has jumped to the top of the list of considerations.

In regards to the foot fasciitis have you ever had a message therapist work on your feet? I go to my message therapist who is able to breakdown the build up of scar tissue and calcium buildup through deep tissue message. Works fantastic and I hardly ever get the pain any more.

Yes, IU've had massage and ART (active release). I knew I was in trouble when after a few sessions the therapist was a bit stumped as to how to proceed.

The Liberty is awesome--hope you love it!

On NO! I just starting reading this and was s excited that we are in the exact same cabin in October! This is our first cruise in a very long time and our kids first one and we are so excited. I am bummed the room sounds like it needs some work. Hopefully by October some things are fixed! Now off to read the rest of your review!

Oh no--don't panic:p Really the only thing that I could not deal with was the shower. I wish I had been more vocal about it. I would say if you find it is still flooding, tell the steward and the information desk right away.

Not sure how old your kids are but make sure the liner is inside the lip and the shower mats are down. My son flooded the bathroom big time and it was a total nightmare to clean up.

The cabin did not at all ruin our trip--you will have an amazing vacation!

Archived