Bringing Guests on the Ship

Jeanne S

Actually on RSSC this is not true. They do allow guests onboard, however, you must file an application no later than 30 days prior to the date you wish to have guests onboard. If approved, RSSC will then send or fax a pass for your guests. They must provide ID, either passport or DL, which is collected at the gangplank, and they are given a pass to wear around their neck. We've done this twice now and its worked fine. You may also request to have them join you for lunch or dinner (where you might be in port at night) but they don't confirm this until the day of the visit, and if approved, then there is a charge and it goes on the sailing guests account - I think its $15.00 per person for lunch, $25.00 for dinner.There are situations where it is not approved, sometimes, it depends on the Port Authority of the Port you are in and their security situation and rules. We had my Dad onboard a couple of years ago in San Diego, and our daughter and son in law last year in Boston.:) :)

I've had guests on board twice in the past year in the USA (once on the Mariner and once on the Voyager). They must have their guest pass with them that Radisson issues and identification. They are given a small visitor's badge that they wear while walking around the ship. Approximately 1/2 hour before sailing there will be an announcement made requesting all guests to disembark.

The only "port authority" requirement that I am aware of in port of Los Angeles was that the guest request MUST be made 30 days prior to sailing. They are strict about this. I also had guests come onboard in Auckland, NZ and I followed the same procedure....no problem whatsoever.

My wonderful TA took care of all this for me each time I wanted a guest onboard.

Actually on RSSC this is not true. They do allow guests onboard, however, you must file an application no later than 30 days prior to the date you wish to have guests onboard. If approved, RSSC will then send or fax a pass for your guests. They must provide ID, either passport or DL, which is collected at the gangplank, and they are given a pass to wear around their neck. We've done this twice now and its worked fine. You may also request to have them join you for lunch or dinner (where you might be in port at night) but they don't confirm this until the day of the visit, and if approved, then there is a charge and it goes on the sailing guests account - I think its $15.00 per person for lunch, $25.00 for dinner.There are situations where it is not approved, sometimes, it depends on the Port Authority of the Port you are in and their security situation and rules. We had my Dad onboard a couple of years ago in San Diego, and our daughter and son in law last year in Boston.:) :)

Sorry, yes. I'm getting confused with the Princess cruise I did in March. Guests were definitely verboten

Our experience on RSSC has been that for embarcation day or for non U.S. ports it is essential to make all requests for visitors 30+ days in advance. However, once on board the ship, one can make a request to have visitors on board at subsequent U.S. ports. We have made these requests with 24-48 hours notice with all relevant information (name, address, driver's license or passport number) about our visitors and the reception and security staff have checked it out and had the captain approve it fairly quickly. Thus we have had a cousin visit us on the Mariner in Los Angeles and a niece visit us and have lunch on board the Navigator in Key West. Naturally, RSSC did charge our shipboard account for our niece's lunch.

Hubby accompanied me on embarkation and stayed for lunch on the Diamond in Funchal. I had to submit a form about 30 days out, and we received a letter of confirmation. He had to show his passport and was given a badge to wear. We were told there would be a charge for lunch, but it never showed up on my account.

Your TA should be able to arrange this for you. I think it is a personal touch that makes RSSC stand out from the crowd.

Thanks everyone. I had send the request in at the time of final payment in May and just received approval yesterday. On the form I checked off lunch (the embarkation buffett in Portafino). I wish we knew about this last year when sailing on the Navigator.

Thanks also for the info on bringing guests on once in a port as we won't be sure intil a few weeks prior to sailing if someone in BErmuda will be able to visit.

Archived