Holland America secrets they don't tell you about - 2013 edition

Ship's Wake

While perhaps not a secret just something that might not be apparent to 1st time HAL cruisers.... 2 BIG storage drawers under the beds and also the sofa. Additionally, the top of the stool comes off for more storage.

And yes, our TA always gifts us a bottle of wine that we exchange for beer for hubby.

I think the surface of the open bow is painted metal. It's not part of the teak promenade deck altho it's on the same level; you have to know which forward heavy metal doors to go through to get out onto the bow.

This post is meant for first time cruisers with HAL.

These days most new build ships from other lines place an emphasis on what's going on within the ship. It almost seems that the ocean is an afterthought.

With all Holland America ships, the focus is still on what's going on outside the ship.

Lots of open deck space (more so on ships that do not have cabanas), the Crows Nest lounge at the front of the ship that offers tremendous views of ocean and where your ship is headed, the wraparound promenade deck on every ship that goes all the way around the ship - here you can stretch your legs and feel the breeze, watch the ocean for sea life, or grab a deck chair in the shade and really feel like you are at sea.

To me, a cruise on Holland America is more of a journey on a ship as opposed to a vacation on a floating resort hotel - and that's something that keeps me coming back to Holland America.

This is making me even more excited for our "virgin" voyage with HAL next week! We love the feeling of being on a ship.

I think the surface of the open bow is painted metal. It's not part of the teak promenade deck altho it's on the same level; you have to know which forward heavy metal doors to go through to get out onto the bow.

No, definitely not.

We have been on the bow of 14 of 15 HAL ships and ALL have teak bow. It is absolutely not metal and not painted.

That photo does not give anything resembling the natural look of HAL's bows. It is not likely snow as I see no footprints or 'rubbed bare spots'. I think something reflected or its not a good photo.

Edited by sail7seas

Have to agree about a painted surface...this was from one of our Oosterdam cruises..it is some kind of brown color paint. Gives you a great shot of the surface.

CIMG0674.jpg

You can order the diningroom cheese plate for delivery to your cabin if you order after the diningroom opens. It's a much better plate than the regular one on the room service menu.

I ordered the one from room service and was disappointed. So when you call, you request the "dining room cheese plate?"

On days when we have rough seas, one of our favorite places to visit is the promenade deck. The first window is a perfect place to watch the bow crashing into the sea, and the spray may even reach you. FUN!

No, definitely not.

We have been on the bow of 14 of 15 HAL ships and ALL have teak bow. It is absolutely not metal and not painted.

That photo does not give anything resembling the natural look of HAL's bows. It is not likely snow as I see no footprints or 'rubbed bare spots'. I think something reflected or its not a good photo.

The ship in the photo is the Volendam.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2011/12/19/cruise-diary-sounds-of-new-zealand-milford-doubtful-and-dusky/

This is making me even more excited for our "virgin" voyage with HAL next week! We love the feeling of being on a ship.

On the Amsterdam, be sure to go all the way to the back of the verandah or navigation decks and exit out the doors at the end of the hallway. You'll come to a "secret" deck area that looks out over the wake of the ship. You'll find a couple of benches that you can sit on and enjoy the view.

This area gets very little traffic - you may just have it to yourselves for long stretches of time, and is also an excellent area to be outside if it starts raining, since it is covered by the deck above.

To see this area:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/amsterdam-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=173&deck=6

Edited by oysterdam

I have been trying to post a picture of the Rotterdam that I took on March 24,2013 of the bow .... it will not post .... but it is white - the same as the one shown..... we watched the bow camera a lot over the 88 days ... it is what you do when you have an inside cabin.... it is white ...

It's been a long time since we sailed Volendam (she's been Downunder) and clearly there have been changes.

Thanks for bringing me up to date.

I'm so sad to see it is not teak.

We always go to see the bell on everyone of our cruises, every ship. I'll have to pay more attention on all the ships as we 're-visit' the bells.

No, definitely not.

As already posted, painted steel bow surfaces are forward of the teak promenade decks -- just go to the HAL website and click on "Onboard our Ships", then on the name of each ship -- you will see the steel decks in most photos.

The decking of the Rotterdam was painted grey at least as far back as August '03 when "The Wave" hit.

That was the time during a very bad storm when a huge wave hit against the bridge, and breached the water-tight doors on Upper Promenade Deck.

I still have the pictures, and just took a look.

I remember the 'wave'. It did a lot of damage including taking out the tender platform.

Why am I imagining all these bows at the bell areas are teak? Am I imagining it and none are? :confusesd: I was sure they (at least at one point) were teak like the LP.

Edited by sail7seas

No, definitely not.

I've only been on the bow of 5, but I don't recall any of them being teak. The promenade deck is teak, but go through the doors to the bow and it seems to be painted metal.

Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam and Rotterdam: wood.

All others are epoxy on the steel decks,

Are you sure about the Ryndam and Veendam, because two of the 5 that I've been on the bow of, and I don't recall teak wood there.

Are you sure about the Ryndam and Veendam, because two of the 5 that I've been on the bow of, and I don't recall teak wood there.

The photos of the bows of the Ryndam and Rotterdam do not look like teak. Admittedly, they are taken from forward on a higher deck, so don't show detail, but they don't have the lines that would show between the wood planks.

The Rotterdam is grey, and looks to be painted on steel. The Ryndam is brown, and again, looks to be painted on steel.

One photo of the Rotterdam shows another forward deck, overlooking the bow. That is clearly teak.

The photos of the bows of the Ryndam and Rotterdam do not look like teak. Admittedly, they are taken from forward on a higher deck, so don't show detail, but they don't have the lines that would show between the wood planks.

The Rotterdam is grey, and looks to be painted on steel. The Ryndam is brown, and again, looks to be painted on steel.

One photo of the Rotterdam shows another forward deck, overlooking the bow. That is clearly teak.

That's right. The bow on deck 3 is grey. The forward deck on deck 6 is teak.

While perhaps not a secret just something that might not be apparent to 1st time HAL cruisers.... 2 BIG storage drawers under the beds and also the sofa. Additionally, the top of the stool comes off for more storage.

And yes, our TA always gifts us a bottle of wine that we exchange for beer for hubby.

How many beers do you get for a wine exchange?