Just got back from the CARNIVAL VALOR!!!!!

RMcoolX

I won't be writing out a big long review, but I will give a quickie version instead.

Let me start by saying that after reading several posts related to Carnival and cutbacks, I went on the trip expecting the worst. Well, I'm glad to say that I saw no cutbacks when it came things I cared about...the dancers were all there performing several shows, the meal selections were better than ever, the live bands were still live. The only cutback that I wish would have happened was the lifeboat drill. It was the longest, steamiest, and most cramped ever out of all my cruises. I guess it had a lot to do with the recent incidents on Carnival and Royal Carribbean, plus the fact that they had to say it in English and Spanish being that we were in Puerto Rico.

Embarkation/Disembarkation- Went super smooth, especially getting off. We had a 10:45am flight out of SJU...we were sitting at the gate at 8:20am! We left the ship at 07:20 as part of the self disembark program, flagged a cab, flew through security, only to find out that our flight was delayed by 2hrs to 12:45pm! That sucked!!!

Stateroom - We had a balcony cabin on Lido deck. It was nice, but I think I'll stick to the lower decks from now on. We tired of having to walk passed half the ship when occasionally taking food back to the room. Plus, it seemed like we were too far away from the action on Promenade deck. We will stick with balconies on decks 6-8 from now on. The room steward was great, all except for the unexpected intrusions she would sometimes make in to our room.

Entertainment - Great cruise director; good dancers; great production team...overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the shows. We enjoyed the live bands, not to mention the live band that played along with the singers on karaoke nights (that was really cool and unexpected).

Dining - Carnival has really made great strides over the years when it comes to their food quality and choices, and I must say that this cruise clearly raised the bar again in my opinion. The lobster, prime rib, lamb, and filet mignon were all great and cooked better than ever. The side dishes and dessert choices were about what we've come to expect. No cutbacks to report coming from the kitchen...that for sure!!! For the first time, I will rank this particular cruise dining experience right up there with Disney, who had been the best that I've had out at sea. Our wait staff was great, but the service we received up on Lido was below average.

The Ship - It definately is in need of its 2.0 upgrade, but even without out it, it is holding up well. I could see that some things needed to be fixed, adjusted, or painted, but nothing stood out as a real eyesore. Crowds were never too bad, as we never felt like we had to stand in any long lines for anything. For a ship that had 3600 passengers on it, it sure felt like a lot less!

Ports - I am a professional amatuer (LOL) photographer, so I judge the ports by their scenic beauty. Hands down, St Kitts was the best, but you have to get a full island tour to see the real beauty. It reminded me a lot of Maui...ok, ok...not nearly as beautiful, but it had similar elements like the volcanoes, stunning views (to a lesser degree of course), and nice beaches.

Overall...Carnival does it again! They gave us a great cruise for a relatively very small price.

Awesome quick review!! I've been a bit nervous about the quality of the cruise but now I'm really excited and can't wait to sail her in August. I'm happy to hear that there are still live bands and the shows are still good. Is there still a sailaway party? Also, I'll have my daughter with me so can you tell me anything else about the muster drill? Like where it's held? Do they still make you stand at your particular muster station on the decks or is it handled in the theatre? Thanks again for the helpful review!

Check my countdown below to see how soon I board VALOR at Barbados.

Nice to have your positive review....one of the few I read these days

because so many of them just trash the ship, the everything!

VALOR-533.jpg

I stopped reading reviews because I found they set me up for disappointment

- and that never panned out

so I came to realize that all the negativity you read on these message boards is distinctly People's Perception

fueled mainly by their Unrealistic Expectations! :cool:

Thanks again for a nice summing-up.

I'm interested in who you used for your tour in St. Kitts.
It's fairly likely he picked up the first or second taxi guy he met right there in Port Zante

they're all eager for your business, especially in off-season (now...mid-year)

I'm sure you'll have no difficulty with any of them: I never have. ;)

If you can find Henry Whyte, he's a good guy.

Henry-065.jpg

Heeeeere's Henry! - he took us out to Cockleshell Bay and back!

Last time we picked up with him (near The Circus)

he had a 14-seater,if you have that many in your party

(it was just four of us) -he's cool.

Hey tell me something....

I'll be on VALOR in under 48 hrs. ..boarding at Barbados!

I'm hearing there are two Elegant Nights? Tuesday and Thursday?

Is that right? Can anyone confirm/deny?

We did the May 9th Mother's Day cruise on the Valor last month..great cruise, great ship and awesome itinerary. Loved St. Lucia and St. Kitts...both reminded me of the South Pacific, especially St.Lucia where we did a 7 hour land and sea tour..which was fantastic..loved the Pitons.

I also did the four hour ship tour and met the captain up on the bridge. Tour was interesting. Got to go in the areas where the public cannot go. I highly recommend it.

Glad you had a nice cruise (and muster drill is tough to handle, especially at 9:30 at night along side people who have been drinking all day and night...lol).

Ports - I am a professional amatuer (LOL) photographer, so I judge the ports by their scenic beauty. Hands down, St Kitts was the best, but you have to get a full island tour to see the real beauty. It reminded me a lot of Maui...ok, ok...not nearly as beautiful, but it had similar elements like the volcanoes, stunning views (to a lesser degree of course), and nice beaches.

Same here, regarding photography, as well as St. Kitts' resemblance to Maui. We took the train, and wow! It's one island that I'm considering flying to. I have an additional reason, being a photographer of insects and other creepy crawlies -- that island was loaded with butterflies.

Thanks for a great review. I'm thinking about a Valor cruise in 2014. It's still my favorite ship.

Hi I am going in 2 weeks. Can you let me know what you did at each port. Thanks for the information.

We just got back from this cruise also. GREAT time...no complaints.

Barbados -Swimming with Sea Turtles - Calabanza Tours

St. Thomas - Coki Beach in morning - Snuba at Coral World in the Afternoon

St. Kitts - Carnival Fan-ta-Sea

St. Lucia - Private water tour with Cosol

St. Maarten - Oriental Beach in the morning, Maho in the afternoon

Is there still a sailaway party? Also, I'll have my daughter with me so can you tell me anything else about the muster drill? Like where it's held? Do they still make you stand at your particular muster station on the decks or is it handled in the theatre? Thanks again for the helpful review!

Yes, they did a sailaway party on the second night being that it left so late on the first night. It's on Lido deck. As far as I could tell, all 3600 passengers were squished like sardines in a can for a good 15 minutes. Felt like an hour!!! Go to it late so that you're not caught up in the crowd with less air.

Hi I am going in 2 weeks. Can you let me know what you did at each port. Thanks for the information.

All we did was take a taxi tour around each island. Just walk down off the ship and they'll find you...trust me. They make various stops for refreshments and picture taking opportunities. It cost about $15 to 23 PP for a 2-3hr tour. If they want more than that, keep looking. At St Marteen we went to see the planes landing at Maho Beach.It's not really a taxi tour, but the taxi 'service' takes you on a 25 minute scenic ride to the spot for $8 PP if you have at least 6 people. Wait there at the pickup point for others to join you...they will be there. Maho is a great place to get in some beach action, plus the thrill of watching the planes come in. There is a bar and grill there for those that want to see it all from a safer distance.

SM66_zpsbcce7b1b.jpg

SM44_zpsa6ebfe48.jpg

I'm interested in who you used for your tour in St. Kitts.

TIA!!

I just walked out into the shopping square right off the pier and there was a guy out there with a sign offering tours for $15-20. $20 got us a 3hr full Island tour, and he stopped for at least 20 minutes wherever we wanted him to stop along the way.

These two pics are pics of where the Carribbean Sea meets the Atlantic ocean. Notice how the waves are moving in different directions.

SK98_zps308c3da0.jpg

SK100_zpsbf296c02.jpg

Hey tell me something....

I'll be on VALOR in under 48 hrs. ..boarding at Barbados!

I'm hearing there are two Elegant Nights? Tuesday and Thursday?

Is that right? Can anyone confirm/deny?

Yes, there are two...on Tue and Thurs.

Same here, regarding photography, as well as St. Kitts' resemblance to Maui. We took the train, and wow! It's one island that I'm considering flying to. I have an additional reason, being a photographer of insects and other creepy crawlies -- that island was loaded with butterflies.

Thanks for a great review. I'm thinking about a Valor cruise in 2014. It's still my favorite ship.

I like the nature shots too. I took these two in Barbados.

B55_zps9c588083.jpg

B54_zpsbb4dba55.jpg

I like the nature shots too. I took these two in Barbados.

Beautiful!

I don't know if you've ever seen this yourself, but if you get up just after sunrise and check under under the ship lights, beautiful butterflies and moths often congregate there. It appears to me that these are creatures that are traveling out over the wide open seas, because I've found them on sea days as well. They're probably attracted to the lights at night -- and happy to have a free ride!

B55_zps9c588083.jpg

:eek: :eek: I will look out for these! If I see one, just get out the paddles to shock my heart! Surely I will have a heart attack, and need to be revived! :eek: :eek: YIKES.

OP...Thanks for the review. I can't wait to be back on the Valor again.

Beautiful!

I don't know if you've ever seen this yourself, but if you get up just after sunrise and check under under the ship lights, beautiful butterflies and moths often congregate there. It appears to me that these are creatures that are traveling out over the wide open seas, because I've found them on sea days as well. They're probably attracted to the lights at night -- and happy to have a free ride!

Never notice it or even thought to look for it. I will next time!

Archived