Best way to get back to Boston from Quebec City

We are taking the New England / Canada cruise from Boston to Quebec City, and will need to return to Boston to make our flight home to California.

What's the best way to do this - considering cost, time, convenience.

As any flight from YQB to BOS will require a connection somewhere, it doesn't make much sense to go back to Boston. You're better to book an open-jaw into BOS and out of YQB (which will probably mean connecting in PHL, IAD, JFK, YUL or YYZ.

I am beginning to think you are right. We have two-for-one vouchers we could use to fly round trip from San Jose CA to Boston, but it looks as if it will be easier to just pay full fare for an open-jaw.

I am beginning to think you are right. We have two-for-one vouchers we could use to fly round trip from San Jose CA to Boston, but it looks as if it will be easier to just pay full fare for an open-jaw.

Is there no way you can use the vouchers for an open-jaw? If not, consider whether using them to a connecting city would work, then open-jaw the connecting city-BOS and YQB-connecting city part.

How about a one way rental car (watch out for drop off fees) or bus or train. Friends are doing the same cruise and renting a car to go home to Springfield, Mass

Did a quick search of the price with Hertz, the rental agency closest to the port in Quebec. It would cost over $400.

A train would involve going via Montreal and Albany, and would probably take 2 days.

I don't even want to think about the convoluted itinerary required via bus.

Greyhound bus is between 11:40 and 13 hrs. By car, it's just over a 6 hour drive to Boston.

I was afraid there would be a one-way fee for a rental car -- you are crossing an international border. You may find a bus or shuttle across the border and rent a car in the US.

Another suggestion: Look into flying round trip into Montreal -- it may be easier to get from Montreal to Boston and then from QC to Montreal.

Sorry if I'm sending you on a wild goose chase. If you search the threads on Cruise Critic, you may find a solution. Also, call the cruiseline and ask them what services they offer.

Have you looked at one way flights on Air Canada and Porter?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

After much research on way too many websites, we've just gone ahead and booked flights separately. We have a non-stop United flight from San Francisco to Boston and then another a couple days after the cruise with Air Canada from Quebec to San Francisco (one stop in Chicago).

The strangest part is that the Air Canada return flights are actually operated by United, but I couldn't get them together with the outbound as an open-jaw.

No matter how I tried, there were problems with flight times (who really wants to arrive in Boston at 12:30 a.m?) or too many layovers (some in Atlanta and Houston, not exactly a direct line to San Francisco), or just too expensive.

Turned out I booked outbound and return with two different on-line agencies and got better pricing and more convenient times and shorter layovers on the return flights.

Now ... I have to start looking at hotels :eek:

Last weekend we spent 2 nts pre-cruise in Boston at Marriott Copley Place and it was quite nice == Sr. rate of 169 per nt. It was recommended by lady here on CC who lives in Boston. Marriottt is stop #10 on HOHO trolley. Also hotel connected to 2 malls (Prudential Center and Copley Place). Near the Boston Marathon bombing memorial. Other hotels in vicinity were Lenox (more expensive) & Westin which is also attached to Copley Place mall. Shaws is very unique grocery/supermarket across st. from Marriott, where Mike got breakfast items (room had refrig so we had juice & milk -- also got wine to take on ship.) Legal Seafood in both malls. Also Cheesecake factory & PF Changs among others nearby. Shared mini-van cab with another couple to ship cost $15-$18 per couple, as I recall.....

Archived