MSC Ship Choice

ticktoneer

I usually travel Royal Caribbean but would like to try MSC.

I like larger newer ships with many amenities, bars, large theatre, stunning dining rooms and a wow feel.

Which MSC ships would you suggest and why?

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

I usually travel Royal Caribbean but would like to try MSC.

I like larger newer ships with many amenities, bars, large theatre, stunning dining rooms and a wow feel.

Which MSC ships would you suggest and why?

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

I would recommend one of the Fantasia class in particular one of the two newer ships Divina and Preziosa, particularly if you can see your way into the Yacht club.

If the YC is not for you and you like a larger cabin then a grade 12 cabin on Splendida or Fantasia is brilliant. But be aware there are only eight of these cabins on each of the two ships.This type of cabin is not available on Divina or Preziosa

Partly you choice will come down to itinerary as they are stationed in diffrent areas of the world.

There are a large number of bars, the deck plan claims 20 ,but some of these will be exclusive to the Yacht Club.

most of the bars have live music , in a wide variety of tastes,in them

The restaurants will not have the same visual wow as a large RCI ship has, but the ship as a whole will have a very, very classy Italian BIG WOW factor.

Here is a link to my review of a cruise on Divina ( in the YC) with a further link to lots of images of the bars etc .

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=4472

Pete

I agree with Pete, with your description of what you want, has to be a Fantasia class ship. Newest is the Preziosa, Fantasia the oldest but really not that old.

Next size down is Musica (Magnifica is the newest, Poesia, Orchestra and Musica). they have some of the features you want and at around 90000 tonnes still a reasonable size.

You'll want to avoid Lirica Class (Armonia, sinfonia, Opera and Lirica) with your preferences. Lovely ship's but probably too small and lacking the extras that you want. They do however have more interesting and unusual itineraries.

Hi, we too have mostly sailed RCI, and really enjoy the larger ships. Our requirements are a bit different, in that we do not tend to spend much time in bars other than the c & a lounge before dinner, and we have two teenage sons who enjoy RCI facilities more. For us therefore, for the same price and itinerary I would choose RCI. However, we enjoyed our Poesia Western Caribbean cruise this year so much that we have booked 17 nights from Brazil to Venice next March. The ship was beautiful and kept in better shape than any RCI ship I have been on. The grade 11 balcony we had was much bigger than a D1 on RCI. The bars are fantastic, as is the music and dance in each. I felt the quality of the live music was far superior to anything on RCI. The theatre was large and nicely decorated (if you like purple!). The food was every bit as good as RCI, which I do not class as great, but good. The buffet is open from 6am until 2am, unlike windjammer which closes for a while before dinner and shuts at 9pm. Not sure about the Fantasia class, but on Poesia there was no other food option like Sorrentos, cafe promenade, park cafe etc, but buffet had loads of choice and much better fruit and salad options than RCI. Burgers were 100% meet unlike RCI. You will as mentioned above be disappointed in the dining rooms. On Poesia at least they have no Wow factor. I love the RCI dining rooms. The other thing I did not like about Poesia and from pictures of Preziosa it looks similar, was the outside top deck. It feels really cramped, and during sea days the ship does feel much busier and crowded than any RCI ship I have on.

Prices are great, particularly for grand voyages, and I think in general their itineraries are more interesting. Wish our Preziosa cruise had a stop in Africa though!

Archived