Radiance Alaska Review (WITH LOTS OF PHOTOS)

Hi Daniel! Almost missed this review as I have been spending more time on the Celebrity and Asia boards now for our cruise in Jan. Glad I came across this one. Fantastic effort, quite a monumental undertaking to post everything, and its kind of weird seeing a review on CC with photos where I actually know the people in them! Anyway your pics are great and it really sounds like it was an awesome trip.

Hi also to Dizziedi!! (I saw a little cameo from you on one of the pages - I sent you an email a few months ago but never got a reply and I didn't resend for some reason) - If you read this I hope you're well and enjoying your cruising adventures.

Love

Caron

Edited by Cassicruiser

Thank you, Daniel, for such a fantastic review! I've only just started my research into an Alaskan cruise, with my own 7 year old DD (to turn 8 a month after I hope to cruise next year) and I wondered about activities for kids. I can definitely see us going whale watching and doing the panning for gold excursion (minus the salmon bake, thanks to you!). And knowing that there's a covered pool with family hours is of great interest to me, as my DD LOVES to swim.

I'm wondering if your children, particularly your youngest, visited the kids' areas on board? And whether or not your children enjoyed the experience?

Thank you!

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

We had the Radiance and a NCL ship in port at the same time, and customs was quite busy and slow, HOWEVER, we got there an hour before you are expected there, (at 1pm) and it seemed like this was a peak time.

I reckon the crowds will have thinned out a bit by the time you get there.

Once you get through customs, then they ask which ship you are on. One way for radiance and another way for NCL in our case, and once we got through to the Radiance check in, it was really quick and easy. The customs area itself is for all passengers on all ships in port.

Another thing to point out, is that apart from the 6 September sailing, for the rest of this season there will only ever be one other ship in Vancouver on the same day as Radiance, and that is the Amsterdam that was there when I left. It is a smaller ship with about 1300 guests on board, so you will be okay.

Good to know.. we are on the Sept 6th sailing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi travin1234,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply but I have been away from these forums for a while so never saw your questions.

My kids loved the cruise. This was the second time on Radiance in 6 months though, and I think they loved the first cruise more for the following reasons:

1. It was their first cruise so everything was new.

2. It was a summer cruise to the Soith Pacific, so they got to use the pools much more.

3 there was a very different crowd on board last time. It was a much you get crowd, mostly Australian, and I think the kids were just more used to that. They found that even the activities which are geared more to adults were more plentiful on the December cruise.

Having said that, even though we all, kids included, love the sea days, the ports were much more to the kids tastes on this cruise because the December cruise was to various beaches in the South Pacific whereas here they got to see and do very different things.

As far as the kids clubs are concerned, my kids have never really been kids that make use of these facilities. I booked them into kids club in December and after half an hour they were out and never went back. On this Alaska cruise I did not bother to book them in, and then 5 days into the cruise my 7 year old asked to go to kids club. I took he'd but that also lasted half an hour.

I have however only heard positive things about the kids clubs on board.

The waiters in the MDR were amazing, and to this day all three of my kids consider dinner time in the main dining room as their on board cruise highlights.

I hope I have answered all your questions about the kids activities.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Danirltanne@gmail.com

Your review couldn't have come at a better time. I returned last week from a cruise of the Adriatic on Celebrity Silhouette and am considering Alaska but don't know where the best places are. All I need to do now is persuade my eldest two (21 and 18) that they are too old for a family holiday next year so the airfares from the UK don't cripple us.

• 1 month later...

Have loved reading your review. My DH an I booked this cruise yesterday for August 2014 with a Rockies land tour at the start. You have posted so much helpfull info that I am going to save it ready to use when booking trips etc.

many thanks.

---------------

Gaynor

Independence of the Seas. 08/09

Oasis of the Seas 08/13

Glad I could help. I enjoyed so many reviews before my cruise and found them so helpful that I wanted to help others in any way I could.

You will love this cruise. I wish I could do it again but my family want to experience and explore new places we have not been to before. But I will get back to Alaska one day for sure.

• 2 months later...

Hello I have been on many cruises and thinking of taking one on the Radiance from Seward, Alaska. I know the cruise lines get you to try to book with them, but I was wondering if anyone out there has been to this property Orca Island Cabins. I think it looks beautiful from the pictures and was considering staying there before or after my cruise. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic review and pictures. Thank you!

Your daughter looked like she wanted to take that Husky puppy home. Don't blame her. Cute!

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise from Seward to Vancouver in August. Looking forward to it much more after seeing your pictures.

I would love to do an Australian cruise sometime, but that's probably a long time in the future.

Edited by moposh

I am glad you enjoyed and thanks for your comments.

You are right, my daughter would have brought that husky home if she could.

Feel free to ask any questions before your cruise and I will answer whatever I can.

As for an Australia cruise, you should try plan it. This is a beautiful part of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just discovered your fantastic review of your Alaskan cruise on Radiance of the Seas.

We sailed on her in August 2012 on the southbound route from Seward to Vancouver. We still talk about it as the best cruise we have been on so far.

It was really nice to relive our cruise through your review.

Thanks and happy cruising wherever you go!

I will be doing this exact cruise with my boyfriends family this year. It was wonderful to see everything as how to expect things to be when we go. This may also help plan excursions and such. I know we are doing a helicopter to in one of the ports but everything else is up in the air right now. The ship looks beautiful. I'm just hoping that I haven't been spoiled too much from Allure to enjoy the uniqueness of this ship!

Hi

Great review. We are from Adelaide, Australia and will be doing a trip similar to your this august including LA, Disneyland, Vancouver and two weeks on radiance in Alaska. I love all your tips and will find all your information very useful. We love radiance too and can't wait to sail on her again. Thank you for writing your review. Ally

Hi

Great review. We are from Adelaide, Australia and will be doing a trip similar to your this august including LA, Disneyland, Vancouver and two weeks on radiance in Alaska. I love all your tips and will find all your information very useful. We love radiance too and can't wait to sail on her again. Thank you for writing your review. Ally

Hi OzKruser,

I travel to Adelaide for business quite often, and in fact have a trip planned for 4 days in about 2 weeks time.

I am happy to help you with any questions you may have and offer any tips that are not covered in my review.

I usually stay at the Rydges in Adelaide. We can catch up for a drink if you have any questions.