First time cruisers: MSC Divina

Stoffel1982

Hi everyone,

I traveled all around the world, but in 3 weeks (06/07/2013-13/07/2013) we'll take our very first cruise. We are excited and i do have a few questions. We booked the "MSC Divina" cruise (departure Venice).

- We'll be staying in cabin (12207), this is a "category 6" balcony cabin. What's the difference between a "standard" and a "superior" balcony cabin? I assume they are smaller, but i'd like to use the balcony so i hope there's enough space :-)

- We pre booked the Alligrissimo drink package which seems like a pretty good deal. Do we have to let MSC know in which "shift" we'd like to eat? I'm traveling with my boyfriend, so i guess we have to sit with other people?

- I heard they could serve the (continental) breakfast in the cabin. Is it good or do you suggest eating at the buffet?

- How is "boarding"? Does it take a lot of time? We'll be in Venice all day long so what do you suggest? When should we go to the ship?

Thanks for your answer!

Greetings from Belgium,

Christophe

Hi everyone,

I traveled all around the world, but in 3 weeks (06/07/2013-13/07/2013) we'll take our very first cruise. We are excited and i do have a few questions. We booked the "MSC Divina" cruise (departure Venice).

- We'll be staying in cabin (12207), this is a "category 6" balcony cabin. What's the difference between a "standard" and a "superior" balcony cabin? I assume they are smaller, but i'd like to use the balcony so i hope there's enough space :-)

- We pre booked the Alligrissimo drink package which seems like a pretty good deal. Do we have to let MSC know in which "shift" we'd like to eat? I'm traveling with my boyfriend, so i guess we have to sit with other people?

- I heard they could serve the (continental) breakfast in the cabin. Is it good or do you suggest eating at the buffet?

- How is "boarding"? Does it take a lot of time? We'll be in Venice all day long so what do you suggest? When should we go to the ship?

Thanks for your answer!

Greetings from Belgium,

Christophe

qestion 1: We pre booked the Alligrissimo drink package which seems like a pretty good deal.

YES it is a good deal

question 2: Do we have to let MSC know in which "shift" we'd like to eat?

That is usually done at the time of booking, contact your Travel agent and get them to sort 1st or 2nd sitting for you. 2nd sitting does tend to be quite late.

It is possible to try and arange sittings once on board , but it involves a long queue to see the maitre d' and you don't always get what you want

queston 3: I'm traveling with my boyfriend, so i guess we have to sit with other people

There are a few tables for two but mostly there are tables for 4, 6, 8, and possibly 10.

again get your TA to sort that for you before you go

it is also possible to go "casual dining" which can involve waiting for a table to be available or pre-booking(I think)

here is a quote from the online brochure

Complementing the elegant dining experience afforded by MSC’s waiter service and specialty restaurants, guests can now enjoy a more casual dining experience, with the buffet restaurants introducing an evening service with no fixed sitting times.

Thus passengers are now free to dine at a time to suit them, whether they fancy a spontaneous, early evening dining solution before or after a Spa treatment or a late night feast prior to enjoying some of the outstanding leisure facilities on board.

question 4: I heard they could serve the (continental) breakfast in the cabin. Is it good or do you suggest eating at the buffet?

BReakfast in you room between 7:00 and 10:00 is free but from a very limited continental breakfast menu.

the best place for breakfast is the Main Dining Room with waiter service. this is also true of lunch

question 5: How is "boarding"? Does it take a lot of time?

It is much quicker if you complete the "express boarding " on line form.

You will still probablly have to elbow your way to the front of the crowd ,waving you piece of paper to "queue jump"

I would expect it to take 20 - 30 mins with "express boarding", and a lot lot longer if you don't have that option, but less so later on in the day

question 6: We'll be in Venice all day long so what do you suggest? When should we go to the ship?

leave your luggage at the left luggage office by the bus station and make use of your time to explore a bit of Venice.

SEE THIS THREAD FOR MORE INFO:-------http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1801709

In my opinion make sure you are at the check in 90 min before sailing time

Catch the people mover from the bus station

cost 1 euro, time ~ 15 minutes and a 5 minute walk to the terminal

Pete

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your answer!

Greetings from Belgium,

Christophe

Hi Christophe,

We were on the same cruise on 1st June and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Allegrissimo package is a real bargain - well worth the price - even just being able to enjoy all the options without worrying about the price.

Being on the Allegrissimo package you will probably be seated at dinner with other people having taken it - and they do try to match home languages. Your dinner seating should be on your confirmation - we were happy with 21h00 - 18h30 is far too early for dinner.

We happened to prefer breakfast in the buffet - as long as you timed it to avoid the rush. You can get the excellent premium coffee there which is not available in the restaurant - only standard there.

There is usually plenty of space in the buffet towards the stern - with lovely views.

Lunch in the MDR was far better than the buffet - and probably the best meals we had.

Boarding was not easy for us as we took a vaporetto to Pizzalle Roma and then took the People Mover. The walk to Divina was very long, poorly signposted, and tough with all the luggage. Check in was ok - good once we got through baggage check in - but we were pretty exhausted when we finally got on board - I would certainly recommend trying to get a transfer right to the ship.

After the cruise disembarking was smooth - but we also decided to spend a day in Venice and as RCL and NCL had both disembarked at the same time the People Mover was like rush hour on the London underground and we had to queue for over an hour in the sun to check our bags into the left luggage.

We had a lovely day in Venice - but would not recommend that experience to anyone after a relaxing cruise.

Archived