Bert Stratton

ilovhywd

Many trip reports contain raves for Bert Stratton. They say he is usually in Crooners. I looked up the Crooners Bar on the deck plan and it looks like it holds maybe 50 people.

How do 3,000 passengers possibly get in to see him?

They certainly don't all get to see him. I don't think absolutely everyone is into him. Most of the time by later in the evening the lounge is packed and there is standing room only in the hallway around the lounge filled by people walking by trying to see and listen to Bert. I guess most people will see/hear him at some point when they walk thru the Atrium.

I think Crooner's seats about 45 to be exact. It's not actually an entertainment venue with a stage, more like a lobby bar. However, people pack in and stand and listen. On our cruise (6/11-6/18), they put Bert in the Explorer's Lounge later in the week so that more people could hear him. It was still standing room only. I think he's great.

Bert's the best! He's a very talented pianist and singer, but I think his biggest talent is in the way he can gather a crowd, get everyone participating and laughing, and then maintain the crowd and enthusiasm for the entire evening! To me, he's the epitome of an entertainer. Oh, and to top that all off, he's a nice guy too! :)

Marly

I think Mr Marly should be worried. lol Sure Bert is good fun. But he is not everyone's cup of tea. If you like singalongs he is great . It's the same thing everytime he plays. Sure some songs at different but mostly the same. We were on for two weeks and he played at the Explorers one time each cruise. Cruise Director said it was a one time thing. If you are at Crooners say hi to Hazel and Martin. I think everyone should judge for themselves. Just my 2 cents.

He is the best.He made my cruise very enjoyable . He is a very friendly person also , he has no ego problem , makes you feel like you have known him as friend for along time.He can sing and play the piano fabulous and also is a great comedian . He calls Crooner Lounge " BERTS LIVING ROOM" and thats how I felt like being in his living room with a talented good friend

Bert is indeed very entertaining and very talented. He does a pretty broad range of music and is an excellent (in my non-musically inclined opinion)pianist. He doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, except when he talks of his ambitions to make a living as a writer. He invites the audiance to get involved, which is good about 90% of the time. The downside of this is that, at least on our sailing, there were a few old geezers who thought they had to heckle and otherwise converse with Bert after every song. It reminded me a little like high school clowns. (I guess they might be entering their second childhood.)

Bert seems to be the only Crooner that anyone writes about. I remember a pretty good one on the Grand in 2002 but I don't know his name. Is there a good one in the Saphire this summer?

Whistlespitter in OH

Cabana: My hubby usually thinks I'm nuts most of the time, but I doubt he's very worried! LOL! If you've ever read any of my other posts, you may also know that I have a strong liking for Chris Isaak as well! What can I say, I'm a sucker for a nice smile and a good voice.

Glad to hear Bert isn't everyone's cup of tea -- that means I may get a seat next time I see him! :)

Marly

What kind of music does he sing? Is it cover songs... or his own music?

It's difficult to describe Bert :D you have to see him in action. Everyone should go get "Bertified".

He sings everything from "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" to The "Phantom of the Opera" and everything in between. He "covers" all genres; pop, country and Broadway. He also writes his own songs and performs them as well.

Bert certainly is "one of a kind". We loved him in April and hope he is still on the CB in October when we sail again. I just checked out the website and it brought back a lot of fun memories. I've got to order the CD now.

Archived