Has anyone else had anxiety attacks taking their kids on their first cruise?

txponycruiser

Yes, we did CC. DS loved it. Lots of parties, especially during "adult" time in the evenings. We only wish they had better/extended hours during the day on sea days.

Some people just don't understand what it's like to live with kids with anxiety issues. For example: first time we went to Sea World = HORRIBLE 2nd time = BEST FAMILY VACA EVER (from the mouth of a 9 year old). It takes the 2nd time for it to be really fun and we had to remind ourselves that each day. DH and I ALMOST took a 4 day after wards just so we could have some fun w/o the stress.

I have a review of our trip with a lot of CC in it. I'll see if I can find it.

Yes, we did CC. DS loved it. Lots of parties, especially during "adult" time in the evenings. We only wish they had better/extended hours during the day on sea days.

Some people just don't understand what it's like to live with kids with anxiety issues. For example: first time we went to Sea World = HORRIBLE 2nd time = BEST FAMILY VACA EVER (from the mouth of a 9 year old). It takes the 2nd time for it to be really fun and we had to remind ourselves that each day. DH and I ALMOST took a 4 day after wards just so we could have some fun w/o the stress.

We have found that letting them know what will happen/is expected to happen goes a long way. DD hates crowds, avoids them whenever possible. She was able to cope at muster when we told her what was going to happen. We handle her other issues the same way. Had to do a lot of explaining to her over the years, lol

There is hope:), mine is now away at college in Italy.

My son (9) has ADHD and we are going on a cruise in Nov. This will be his 4th cruise. The first was when he was two and he did fine. Don't worry so much about it:) My son really enjoys camp carnival but I always make sure we go with him to the dance party that first night of the cruise. The party will give him a chance to meet friends before the camp begins. We always stay with him and dance too- its kinda fun!!!:p

I would love to read your review. Hope you can find it!:D

My daughter has not been diagnosed ADD but she also has trouble with new things. The story of the dolphin swim reminded me of two very similar experiences we had.

Once we went to he top of a water slide when she melted down and decided not to go. It was our third time going up and walking down. I got so mad I picked her up and put her on the slide. She cried all the way down and then said "that was fun !" and proceeded to ride that slide all day. I got the dirtiest looks from the parents at the top of the slide, but I knew that is what my kid needed.

Second time was parasailing. She freaked out in the boat. I told her remember Kelsi, sometimes I just have to throw you down the slide. And I made her do it. She cried the entire time. But ask her about it now and it was her favorite excursion.

Moral of the story, OP, I can relate. :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That was us on Splash Mountain last year. DS watched it...I mean....you SEE the plunge....but once we were in the boat he was totally freaking out. Once we went down he wanted to go right back on but for some reason it was roped off. We went back a few times the rest of the day b/c he NEEDED to go on it again...and no such luck. So out of one ride and 6 days he only wanted to go on that one (once the terror was over) and only got to go that one time since it was out of commission the rest of the week. If anyone asks him about Disney his "favorite ride" is Splash Mountain....and the poor guy only did it once. The pic is funny....I'll try to post it..but you can hardly see him.

Yes, you are not alone. I stressed like crazy that my then 2 1/2 year old was going to fall through the railing, find a way over the balcony, get out of the cabin to roam the halls and then fall down the stairs, drown in the ocean, etc. etc. All turned out totally fine, but he watched him like a hawk. Now I am stressed because we are leaving him behind this next cruise with Grandma so we can finally have our honeymoon 3 years late. It never ends with me...I can imagine almost anything. :mad: Wish I could turn my brain off sometimes. Good luck and relax, as long as you keep an eye on them like you always would then it will be fine. And expect meltdowns from time to time. They want to have fun like you and will be tired. We would take ours to our room and pull the curtains shut and force him to take naps.

I'm seriously freaking out inside my head right now. DS is ADHD/ODD and is much better behaved now than 2 years ago when we went on an adult only cruise. He really is a good boy. But for some reason I'm having all of these horrible situations that could happen on the ship run through my head. Is this normal or am I losing it? I'm more stressed out right now with the thought of him going with us than I was when we left him for the first time 2 years ago.

I have just the opposite we are leaving our kids home for our first adult cruise. We have sailed 10x with kids since they were 4 and 7 (they are now 16 and 19) and always had a great family vacation. They spent most of their time with us because they did not like the kids clubs, but that was ok as these were family vacations and spending that time together with my kids was priceless. I'm kind of nervous that DH and I won't know what to do with ourselves for 7 days on a ship without them:o.

Our oldest is 6 and she has ADHD and odd and we do not medicate on vacation she has a blast they're her in cc so it makes out to be very nice

HORRIBLE advise!!! Please, please, please ask your pedi first. Most med's cannot just be stopped. and some kids do not react well to being off.

Mil thought she'd try the week without sil on her med's. OMG. I found out when I said something to mil. I noticed the change, and I had no idea.

It's really not fair to her or the poor staff/other kids at cc who have to deal with her. Depending on how she is.

I didn't blink when dh brought up a cruise with dd, 14 months. I have no fears or worries. She's not going to jump ship. But I'm not a worrier. I've actually never checked to make sure she's still breathing motn. She's fine.

I'm having panic attacks about taking my (at the time of sailing) 13 month old on his first cruise, but not because of him. He is a very well-behaved kid, we actually had him at a wedding this weekend and half the guests commented at the reception that they didn't even think we'd had him in the ceremony. I'm worried though that something will happen to his dad or I on the ship or that there will be an emergency like with the Concordia or some of carnivals recent issues. I'm the "checking my 10 month old 5 times a night" type of mom and I am beginning to think cruising with a toddler will be a dangerous mistake...

I have just the opposite we are leaving our kids home for our first adult cruise. . . I'm kind of nervous that DH and I won't know what to do with ourselves for 7 days on a ship without them:o.
DD is 18YO and will be heading off the college next year and I often wonder the same thing about DH and me! Will we be able to travel without her? I'm willing to try! :D

I'm having panic attacks about taking my (at the time of sailing) 13 month old on his first cruise, but not because of him. . . . I'm worried though that something will happen to his dad or I on the ship or that there will be an emergency like with the Concordia or some of carnivals recent issues. I'm the "checking my 10 month old 5 times a night" type of mom and I am beginning to think cruising with a toddler will be a dangerous mistake...
And any of a thousand things could happen to you, your DH or your DS if you stayed home! Plan for what could go wrong and be careful and 99.9% chance absolutely nothing bad will happen (and even with the .1% most of the "bad" stuff really isn't all that bad :))

I would say I'm an overly anxious person! We have been on many cruises with our young dd, but i still find something to worry about!

I started making a list of all the things that were worrying me. I made sure I had a game plan for the things I could control. For things I couldn't control...I just had to keep reminding myself to just have fun!

Try to settle yourself before the cruise so your child isn't 'feeding' off you.

I know it is a cruise but try to make sure the child is making good food choices. I notice a huge difference in my child when he has too much junk food vs eating a healthy protein rich diet.

• 2 weeks later...

We took my dd then 8 on our first cruise two years ago. I was terrified because she had run away on past vacations (Disney World) and it was a horrible experience to go through. We actually got advice from Autism on the Seas before travelling. We only had one panic moment when dd fell asleep watching a movie on lido deck with dh and other dd. They all got up to head to the cabin and dd ended up laying back down and falling asleep. Dh didn't realize until halfway to the cabin that she was missing :rolleyes: and he finally found her sleeping in her chair. Otherwise it was a great experience, kids had a blast!

I have not taken my kids on a cruise yet.... too young....but we do drive to Florida once a yr I get bad anxiety for a week prior to our trip. We drive its long 24 hr trip. I freak out over anything I can imagine our first cruise together will be the same. I'm no help I'm always a mess when it comes to vacations with kids. It will be ok. Even though it doesn't feel like it. Good luck!!!

Archived