Colosseum to Forum entrance question

sgh20037

We are planning to visit the Colosseum 1st on out DIY day - then walk THRU the Forum on the way to the Pantheon. What would be the best Forum entrance to take after you leave the Colosseum? The Palatine entrance which according to tour books has a path and entrance to the Forum - or is it better to head up Via Dei Fori Imperiali to the main entrance? Has anyone tried both?

Sherry

The Palatine entrance requires a long hike up the hill to get over to where you climb back down to the Forum. If you're not interested in seeing Palatine, it's faster and easier to go to the Via dei Fori Imperiali entrance to the Forum.

Thank you - that's sorta what I suspected but wanted to confirm it.

The Palatine entrance requires a long hike up the hill to get over to where you climb back down to the Forum. If you're not interested in seeing Palatine, it's faster and easier to go to the Via dei Fori Imperiali entrance to the Forum.

Agreed. And easy to lose your bearings on Palatine Hill.

Just cross the road at the Colosseum (a high percentage of folk make it without being run over by the traffic :D) & go in the Forum main entrance.

Walking is level, and there's an exit (but not always open as an entrance) though a revolving gate at the Pantheon end.

A bit of an uphill & downhill by the "Wedding Cake" but again mainly level to the Pantheon, about a ten minute walk from the Forum exit.

JB :)

Um, John, the Pantheon isn't at the Forum.

To get to the Via dei Fori Imperiali entrance from the Colosseum, walk northwest along Via dei Fori Imperiali with the Forum on your left (no need to cross the street). The entrance will be on your left, approximately where Via Cavour dead ends into Via dei Fori Imperiali.

To get to the Via dei Fori Imperiali entrance from the Colosseum, walk northwest along Via dei Fori Imperiali with the Forum on your left (no need to cross the street). The entrance will be on your left, approximately where Via Cavour dead ends into Via dei Fori Imperiali.

Hi, EC,

Lazy posting, "the Pantheon end" as in "the end nearest the Pantheon" ;)

But yep, quite right, no road to cross Colosseum to Forum. For whatever reason I thought San Gregorio continued past the Colosseum.

Which of course, it did :p

About 1500 years ago. :D

Approximately how much time does it take to enter the Forum via Palantine Hill? Our plan was to use this route. We are a youngish group with no mobility issues. When people say "climb" how steep is it? Keep in mind we come from BC in Canada, so a climb here can be pretty strenuous!

Hi, could i jump in here with a question: if we have combo tickets with the underground tour, do we still leave the colossum onto the street as you suggested and go the Forum main entrance?

Also if you know the answer, someone just told me that she believes but not absolutely sure that the last 30 of the 90mins underground tour is letting people wonder and take pictures on the 3rd level. And one can leave the tour at this point without missing much. So the combo tickets supposedly including the Forum and Palatine Hills allow you to access the latter two in your free time?

For whatever reason I thought San Gregorio continued past the Colosseum.

Which of course, it did :p

About 1500 years ago. :D

I think there might have been car traffic through there during Mussolini's time as well, unless I'm dreaming that I saw a picture of that.

Approximately how much time does it take to enter the Forum via Palantine Hill? Our plan was to use this route. We are a youngish group with no mobility issues. When people say "climb" how steep is it? Keep in mind we come from BC in Canada, so a climb here can be pretty strenuous!

You could probably do it in 15 minutes if you don't stop to look at anything. But then, why bother?

Hi, could i jump in here with a question: if we have combo tickets with the underground tour, do we still leave the colossum onto the street as you suggested and go the Forum main entrance?

Also if you know the answer, someone just told me that she believes but not absolutely sure that the last 30 of the 90mins underground tour is letting people wonder and take pictures on the 3rd level. And one can leave the tour at this point without missing much. So the combo tickets supposedly including the Forum and Palatine Hills allow you to access the latter two in your free time?

Yes, you need to leave the Colosseum. Although the Colosseo and the Forum are adjacent to one another, they are not connected. There is an exit from the Forum at Via Sacra that leads right to the Colosseo, but when they reinstated a fee for visiting the forum this became an exit only. Therefore, you need to enter the Forum either from Via dei Fori Imperiali or through Palatine.

You can leave the tour pretty much whenever you want, after the underground portion.

The combo ticket is good for two days so you can go to Palatine and the Forum at your leisure.

Thanks for reminding me! That's pefect! If we leave port at 7:30 and done with St Peters before 11:30 (not doing rest of Vatican as been there before), after we finish the underground tour, it'll be 1:30-2pm. Time for lunch and then we can decide if we want to see/do anything else after.

The thing though, we are limited to 9 hours service with Romeinlimo which means we need to leave Rome around 3-3:30. I wonder how much they'll charge for every additional hour of service.

I enjoyed the 3rd level as much as the underground. There are beautiful views of Rome.

Yes, you can visit the Forum and Palatine Hill on the combo ticket. Although the combo ticket is good for 2 consecutive days, you are only allowed to enter the Colosseum once and the Forum/Palatine once.

A bit of an uphill & downhill by the "Wedding Cake" but again mainly level to the Pantheon, about a ten minute walk from the Forum exit.

Thanks everyone for the input. Everything has helped tremendously. Question: What is the "wedding Cake"?

We are in our sixties. Climbing that hill is no big deal unless you have mobility issues. But bring plenty of water as shade is limited.

We are in our sixties. Climbing that hill is no big deal unless you have mobility issues. But bring plenty of water as shade is limited.

Thanks. We are not in a rush to get through, but previous posts discussing it as quite a climb made me wonder how big it really is.

It's not like climbing a mountain, that wasn't the point. It's just that it will take about a half hour more to go this way rather than through the Via dei Fori Imperiali entrance and on a short port day, time is of the essence. If you are interested in the Palatine hill for its own sake, then it makes perfect sense to go that way. If you're just looking for a way into the Forum, it doesn't make much sense.

It's not like climbing a mountain, that wasn't the point. It's just that it will take about a half hour more to go this way rather than through the Via dei Fori Imperiali entrance and on a short port day, time is of the essence. If you are interested in the Palatine hill for its own sake, then it makes perfect sense to go that way. If you're just looking for a way into the Forum, it doesn't make much sense.

Yes, of course we are interested in Palantine Hill, I've downloaded the walking tour and maps already. I wasn't looking for a shortcut through to the Forum, just was curious about the timing and the terrain.

Perhaps I didn't word my original question adequately. My apologies.

I certainly didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Archived