Carnival stock...does it work like this?

Our onboard credit always belongs to the shareholder if we have separate accounts for the S&S account. If only one account for the room then the account gets the credit. I always do the booking but Dh is shareholder. Sometimes we use separate credit cards for onboard spending, sometimes we don't. Never had a problem with Carnival.

So at today's rate, one has to buy over $3300 in stock to get $100 OBC. :rolleyes:

I bought mine before my transAtlantic cruise in 2011 and have used it enough that I have about $2000 in onboard credits, Almost $175 in dividends ($25 per quarter) and my stock is still up several hundred dollars over what I paid for it. Not a bad deal if you use it enough.

Sparky2,

Does Carnival give u a hard time for having the entire OBC in just your name/account??

I've had issues with OBC'S and them not wanting to put them in just my name

The fine print states "per shareholder occupied stateroom" & that it can't be used for gratuities.

I bought mine before my transAtlantic cruise in 2011 and have used it enough that I have about $2000 in onboard credits, Almost $175 in dividends ($25 per quarter) and my stock is still up several hundred dollars over what I paid for it. Not a bad deal if you use it enough.

CRZCRAZY, I purchased 200 shares CCL this past March. Will I only receive one dividend for $25.00 or two @ $25.00? Also how, where, and when will I see the dividend?

It's 25 cents per share. Subject to change at the companies discretion, although cutting dividends is generally something companies try to avoid. But Carnival has done so in the past.

You'll see in on your brokerage statement if you still get them. I'm paperless so I go online to look at my history. They were just distributed a week or two ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky2,

Does Carnival give u a hard time for having the entire OBC in just your name/account??

I've had issues with OBC'S and them not wanting to put them in just my name

I am #1 on our cruise folio (using my cc) and it appears only on my folio. We have 2 different last names so that might make a difference. His folio only shows the OBC that we got for past FCC or booking onboard. Of course, he also shares the price drop OBC's.

If my wife and I each own 100 shares in individual accounts and we sail together do we each get 100 OBC or is it just 100 OBC per stateroom?

Also if we have OBC from a promotion and have OBC from a credit voucher and have stock for the OBC does Carnival honor all three OBC on our cruise?

Cheers!

For those of you knowledgeable about these things, when is a good time to buy? My cruise isn't until November. I should have done this a long time ago!

Edited by lucigo

My advice would be to NEVER purchase stock just to get a side benefit. You purchase because it's a good investment. And unless the good folks here are investment advisors (I'm not!), I wouldn't really want to rely on our recommendations.

I had cash in an IRA account, but not enough to purchase 100 shares, so I bought 50 back in October 2008 at around $28/share (it was dropping, as were many stocks). I sold an underperformer in that account and purchased the other 50 shares in November at, I believe, just under $16/share. For once in my life, I actually bought at the bottom instead of at the top! :p

Of course, they had suspended dividends then, so the only benefit was believing the stock would recover when the overall economy started back up. And the onboard credits. I usually sail a couple of times a year, so they've added up.

Since my purchase, I've received $1,100 in OBC on Carnival plus $200 for my 14-night Hawaii cruise on HAL, with another $100 to come in November. Plus, they reinstated dividends and the 50 shares I bought at $16 have about doubled.

So, yeah, for me, it's been a good investment. But people need to look at the big picture, not just envision how many DOD's a $50 OBC will buy for that $3,000+ you shell out to purchase the stock currently!

If my wife and I each own 100 shares in individual accounts and we sail together do we each get 100 OBC or is it just 100 OBC per stateroom?

Also if we have OBC from a promotion and have OBC from a credit voucher and have stock for the OBC does Carnival honor all three OBC on our cruise?

Cheers!

You will only get OBC once per cruise for owning shares. So, you have no benefit from owning more than 100 shares, other than the dividends and market appreciation. In Sep. we are doing B2B2B on the Legend for a total of 39 days. We have been credited $450 for SHC OBC for the 3 legs ($100, $100 & $250.)

Be aware that each year Carnival Corp. must approve the continuation of the SHC program. I doubt that they will discontinue it as the stock would take a huge hit if they did as cruisers would dump the stock.

You can have OBC from many different programs. On leg 2 of our upcoming Legend cruise I used FCC, SHC and ES to have $500 OBC so far. I might still get more from ES if the price drops again.

Some asked about using SHC OBC for gratuities. The rules say you can't, but the ships have not taken the time to track all the OBC; thus, it has been used for gratuities in our case.

So at today's rate, one has to buy over $3300 in stock to get $100 OBC. :rolleyes:

And you get the credit for each and every cruise. That is a 3% return. This is my 3rd Carnival cruise this year and got the credit for each cruise. Plus stock dividends. No other company gives me this much benefit for owning their stock. To me this is a good investment.

Cheers!

On our upcoming cruise, we have the $100 shareholder's OBC, $100 FCC OBC, the old $50 MasterCard OBC that transferred from our cancelled Triumph cruise, and a $250 OBC from a rate promo. I have yet to see any OBC offered by Carnival that is not combinable with another!

Meredith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as the IRS chasing you down because you got a $50 or $100 OBC, The IRS has bigger fish to fry than looking for OBC from IRA's.

That and there's no practical way for them to enforce it even if they wanted to.

I bought 100 shares on a Monday, faxed the information to Carnival on Tuesday, had the OBC on Thursday, and sold the stock on Friday. Overall had a small gain plus the OBC.

Technically, I'm not sure that is legitimate. I thought you needed to OWN the stock while you were sailing to receive the benefits. If you already sold it, you will not own it on the cruise.

I mailed mine through post office about 10 days ago and have heard nothing yet. Also it doesn't show up on my druse documents page. Does snail mail still work for anyone else?

I always snail mail mine and wait 10 days or so and call them to confirm the credit.

• 4 months later...

For those who follow the stock market and stock market options.

I have a cruise coming up in February.

What I am thinking about is selling an in the money put for December expiration. That way I buy a hundred shares of CCL stock at a small discount.

Apply for the $100 obc with December brokerage statement.

Collect the January and April Dividends.

Then sell an in the money call to get a small bonus on the sell price.

There is risk to my strategy, especially with CCL reporting earnings in Dec.

Thought I'd share, any thoughts?

For those who follow the stock market and stock market options.

I have a cruise coming up in February.

What I am thinking about is selling an in the money put for December expiration. That way I buy a hundred shares of CCL stock at a small discount.

Apply for the $100 obc with December brokerage statement.

Collect the January and April Dividends.

Then sell an in the money call to get a small bonus on the sell price.

There is risk to my strategy, especially with CCL reporting earnings in Dec.

Thought I'd share, any thoughts?

WHAT dividends? I haven't seen any dividends for years. And that seems like an awful lot of work to get a 100 OBC. Just get yourself a good TA and you can get the same.

WHAT dividends? I haven't seen any dividends for years. And that seems like an awful lot of work to get a 100 OBC. Just get yourself a good TA and you can get the same.

I have a good TA, this has nothing to do with TA.

A lot of work, no about 10 minutes

Dividends have been getting paid quarterly (2.8 current annual yield), so for two quarters on 100 shares at 35 per share equals about $48 before taxes.

The extra money for selling the put and call instead of just buying the stock is about $120 after commission.

So if the stock price remains the same (the risk part), it adds up to $100 OBC + $168 cash.

So if the stock price remains the same (the risk part), it adds up to $100 OBC + $168 cash.

Not sure how you came up with $168; maybe I am missing something. The dividend is $1 per share so at 100 shares, it is $100 per year. As someone already mentioned, buying a cruise stock is a lot of trouble to go through for a $100 OBC. Every cruise I have booked on RCL and Celebrity in the last 5 years gave at least a $100 OBC simply by asking for it.

So, I know if you own 100 shares of carnival stock, you get OBC. This is probably a dumb question, but could I have the company who contrrols my 401k purchase 100 shares of Carnival stock? Would that get me the OBC, or doesn't it work that way?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes that would work as long as your 401K plan allows you to buy individual stocks. Some 401k plans don't allow that. So you'd need to check with your 401K plan. If they allow it, that would be acceptable.