Direct tips vs prepaid.....

happy cruzin

That's too bad. I purposely gave extra cash to the people who did an outstanding job. I never realized they would have to pool it. :(

Makes sense to me .. when I used to work in the restaurant industry.. all tips from wait staff was put in a jar and then split with the kitchen staff.. It's not only the waiter/waitress that makes the dining experience ya know.. the food comes from somewhere..

Makes sense to me .. when I used to work in the restaurant industry.. all tips from wait staff was put in a jar and then split with the kitchen staff.. It's not only the waiter/waitress that makes the dining experience ya know.. the food comes from somewhere..

I kind of got the impression that they didn't pool the tips that went on the s+s account and that's why they liked them done that way better.

I kind of got the impression that they didn't pool the tips that went on the s+s account and that's why they liked them done that way better.

This is what I was looking for.. hope it helps :)

The total amount will be $10 per guest, per day, which breaks down as follows:

• $5.50 pp/pd for Dining Team Service (Headwaiter and Waiter)
  • $1 pp/pd for Bistro Service (Waiter/Cooks)
  • $3.50 pp/pd for Cabin Services (Cabin Steward)

Tipping the Maitre D' is strictly at guest's discretion, based upon services rendered. For guests who wish to extend this gratuity in cash, an envelope will be available on the last evening of the cruise.

Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service.

Bar Waiters, Deck Stewards and Bell Boys - Certain personnel, as noted above, may be tipped as service is rendered. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received.

Note: Guests under two years of age are not required to extend gratuities

So just so I'm sure of the etiquette... I should either bring some envelopes with me or get some from the purser, and then when do I give out my cash tips at the end?

Last evening's meal for the wait staff?

When should I plan on seeing my cabin steward? What if I hardly see them at all for the cruise, will he make a point of coming by and being seen on the last night or the last morning?

How do y'all handle it if you can't find them?

That's why the Reverse Gratuity is so convienent. Just leave it on your S&S. Then if you feel you must you can adjust it down or UP at the pursers desk.

.........However, on Carnival, I will have my prepaid tips removed on my upcoming cruise and pay in cash because we usually don't like eating in one dining room night after night.

ONCE AGAIN...:D...just to get the correct wording about tipping:

"Pre-paid" tips are paid when you make your final payment for the cruise.

These cannot be adjusted.

"Automatic tipping" will be the first item on your S&S account.

These can be adjusted up or down or removed.

------------------------

MRG, you might want to reconsider? Just because you don't have all your meals in the dining room every night, you DO eat somewhere. Most of the dining room waiters ALSO work different shifts in the Lido buffet area when they aren't in the dining room.

Remember that the $10 per person per day ALSO includes your cabin steward, so if you remove all tips, you're removing them from the cabin steward as well as the wait staff.

I always have conversations with my stewards and waiters. Each one I've asked that question of, said they like the tips on the S&S account. Two of them told me they have to pool any cash tips.

I'm sure this is what Cotton meant, but

If you keep the automatic tipping on your Sail'n'Sign card and tip extra in cash, the crew member can keep the extra cash.

However, if you choose to have the automatic tip removed from your Sail'n'Sign account, any cash tips you give are supposed to be pooled.

From an Article on NCL switching to a service charge.:

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/nf40726.html

"As part of their research to see if this was going to be a problem for their customers, they looked at how many people ask to have the charge removed from their account and why. They found that 95% of the people never change the charge. Of the 5% who do ask that the amount be changed or removed, they gave three reasons: (a) At the end of the cruise they say the service was not acceptable. (b) They prefer to tip the crew members in cash. © They don’t want to tip or they just don’t want to tip that much.

Then they delved into things a little further. For reason (a) about unacceptable service, NCL doesn’t want to know about it at the end of the cruise. They want the feedback up front as soon as a passenger is unhappy so they have an opportunity to correct the problem and the customer will go away with a positive experience. Since the service charge is mandatory, it should, in theory, drive people to the front desk to talk about unacceptable service rather than letting them put up with it and remove the gratuity.

They found something interesting about (b) those who said they preferred to tip in cash. Since for pooling purposes, they track what those people actually give the crew members in cash, they found that usually those who SAID they prefer to tip in cash, actually do not tip AT ALL.

And for those in the third group who just don’t want to tip, they’re not doing their part. In America, people providing service expect to be tipped, and those who prefer not to, according to NCL, are just getting a "free ride."

With those things in mind, NCL decided to go ahead and make the service charge mandatory on the internationally-flagged ships."

I imagine if Carnival did the same research they would find the same results.

Personally I find it offensive that NCL is stating that passengers that don't tip are getting a free ride. Tipping is a personal decision between the server and the servee, period. The implication that those that don't tip are NOT DOING THEIR PART is beyond belief! What part is that, the one where NCL pays such a poor wage that the customer is expected to pay the staff?

Sorry, that just doesn't jibe. If this is REQUIRED, then it is not a tip. If this is their story, and if they are going to make it a service charge, and it is not adjustable, then make it part of the damn fare because that is what it is.

Cheers,

Peter

I'm sure this is what Cotton meant, but

If you keep the automatic tipping on your Sail'n'Sign card and tip extra in cash, the crew member can keep the extra cash.

However, if you choose to have the automatic tip removed from your Sail'n'Sign account, any cash tips you give are supposed to be pooled.

Let's see if this makes sense, if you tip the wait staff on the S+S card, the ones that serve you get the whole amount. If you give them extra on top of that, they get to keep it for themselves. If you remove it, and give the entire amount to them in cash, they have to pool it, WHY?

This makes so much sense, NOT!

Cheers,

Peter

Let's see if this makes sense, if you tip the wait staff on the S+S card, the ones that serve you get the whole amount. If you give them extra on top of that, they get to keep it for themselves. If you remove it, and give the entire amount to them in cash, they have to pool it, WHY?

This makes so much sense, NOT!

Cheers,

Peter

Because they are going to make sure that everyone involved in the team, gets paid... it's simple... makes sense to me, completely... none of us know who all gets tipped within the team... there are many times people that we never see, are responsible for making our cruise enjoyable. If the S&S tip is removed, they still get pooled tips, minus any deductions people made, plus any additions people made... then they would get the ENTIRE cash amount you gave them? Now THAT wouldn't make sense. If you sit and really think about it, it makes complete sense.

Hi all,

I too have a question on tipping.

If you have prepaid for your gratuities are you expected to tip whie having dinner at Scarlette's?

The $30 charge includes the gratuity... however, I tipped extra, just because the charge was so small considering the meal and service we received.

Archived