My Journey To The Last Frontier via Radiance of the Seas & DIY Land Tours-Pics Galore

Thank you for posting such fabulous pictures! I am even more excited bout going in August!

One question about the drop-offs in Denali - are they really that bad if you close your eyes for a bit? Is it constant as you are going thru the pass or on & off?

Thanks again!

P.S. There is no way that you look almost 70!

Thank you for posting such fabulous pictures! I am even more excited bout going in August!

One question about the drop-offs in Denali - are they really that bad if you close your eyes for a bit? Is it constant as you are going thru the pass or on & off?

Thanks again!

P.S. There is no way that you look almost 70!

My pleasure.

Although not constant, there are a few spots that gave me the willies -- gravel road, sheer cliffs, no guard rails, only one bus at a time can get around curves so that was hairy........didn't bother DH or others though.

Have a wonderful time. It is unbelievable.

P.S. Thanks!

WOW, absolutely beautiful photos and a wonderful review. The scenery is incredible. Never been to Alaska, but will have to add that to my bucket list.

Thanks very much.

Yes, add it to your list. It is spectacular!

Icy Strait Point

Cool day. I really liked this port. We walked the nature trail with a bonfire along the way where you can make a wish and throw in the wood chip given to you by the locals. This was a lovely area and the cannery history was very interesting. Don't waste your time taking a free bus to town as there is nothing at all to see. It was a wonderful visit to Icy Strait Point but we did not see one whale around the ship as others have reported.

Regarding the nature walk in ISP, how does one get there? Once tendered there, is their a trail/sign that tell us where to go for this walk? This would be perfect for my family so I hope it's easy to get there. Thanks in advance for your help!

Loved your notes & pictures, thank you so much.

I am thinking of a DIY tour in Aug 2014. I will be in Vancouver in mid May 2014, the Rhapsody repo from Hawaii. I've been on 2 inside passage Alaska cruises, had thought about doing another and adding the land tour, but wow the prices are astronomical, especially for a single. I will be in Seattle in August 2014 (doing a Grand Circle tour of Glacier NP and the Canadian Rockies), and it seems the air fare to jump over to Anchorage is reasonable. Considering either the rent a car, although I'm a little hesitant since my eyes are sometimes iffy, or doing the Alaska Railroad train tour. Pros and cons of each. Would like the freedom of being on my own, but I would also lose some freedom due to what I can drive to, and driving and looking is not a good idea.:) I will use your notes as suggestions, they cleared up several questions I had.

Thanks again, great travels. The US National and state parks are a priceless treasure. I just did a program on the national parks in northern CA, finally saw Yosemite & the Redwoods. For any one who uses the parks, please consider joining an advocy/support group such as the National Park Foundation, with budget cuts the parks are hurting. Although I have a senior pass, I also contribute whatever I can.

Thank you for taking the time to post the Cruise Compass. I love reading them as they give me an idea of what's going on aboard the ship. We are trying MTD on our Aug trip so reading the various activities, we can figure out about when we will have dinner. Of course everything is subject to change when on vacation.

23 days and counting down......:D

Regarding the nature walk in ISP, how does one get there? Once tendered there, is their a trail/sign that tell us where to go for this walk? This would be perfect for my family so I hope it's easy to get there. Thanks in advance for your help!

Once off the tender, turn left and walk along the water. Just beyond the bonfire the trail begins. Real easy.

Loved your notes & pictures, thank you so much.

I am thinking of a DIY tour in Aug 2014. I will be in Vancouver in mid May 2014, the Rhapsody repo from Hawaii. I've been on 2 inside passage Alaska cruises, had thought about doing another and adding the land tour, but wow the prices are astronomical, especially for a single. I will be in Seattle in August 2014 (doing a Grand Circle tour of Glacier NP and the Canadian Rockies), and it seems the air fare to jump over to Anchorage is reasonable. Considering either the rent a car, although I'm a little hesitant since my eyes are sometimes iffy, or doing the Alaska Railroad train tour. Pros and cons of each. Would like the freedom of being on my own, but I would also lose some freedom due to what I can drive to, and driving and looking is not a good idea.:) I will use your notes as suggestions, they cleared up several questions I had.

Thanks again, great travels. The US National and state parks are a priceless treasure. I just did a program on the national parks in northern CA, finally saw Yosemite & the Redwoods. For any one who uses the parks, please consider joining an advocy/support group such as the National Park Foundation, with budget cuts the parks are hurting. Although I have a senior pass, I also contribute whatever I can.

You are welcome.

Sounds like you have some wonderful trips ahead. The Alaska Railroad to me was priceless.

I visited the awesome Yosemite some years ago.

Enjoy your travels!

Thank you for taking the time to post the Cruise Compass. I love reading them as they give me an idea of what's going on aboard the ship. We are trying MTD on our Aug trip so reading the various activities, we can figure out about when we will have dinner. Of course everything is subject to change when on vacation.

23 days and counting down......:D

My pleasure. I also enjoy reading the Cruise Compasses for upcoming trips.

Hope yours is great!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi...I am ready to book this cruise next summer and found your review....thank you!

Is there any outdoor dining area that is an extension of the buffet area?

Where is the ice cream, is it available all the time and are there toppings?

Is it OK for a teenager to eat at the park cafe with parents?

What snacks are available late at night....cookies, etc?

Yes, I love to eat.....LOL....thanks

Sorry it took so long to answer. I did not get the notification that someone had commented.

Yes, there is some outdoor dining space beyond the Windjammer.

The frozen yogurt machine was at the back of the Windjammer along with some toppings. It is only accessible during the Windjammer open hours (you can see those hours in the Compasses I posted).

The Solarium is for age 16 and older and I don't recall seeing children eating at the Park Cafe inside, but not sure if it is allowed. There weren't many children on our sailing.

The Park Cafe and Boardwalk Dog House are open until 1 am. Park Cafe has sandwiches, pizza, cakes, cookies, etc.

Believe me, you will find plenty to eat!

Do book it. It was an incredible journey. :)

Archived