My Journey To The Last Frontier via Radiance of the Seas & DIY Land Tours-Pics Galore

We are getting a rental in Fairbanks.....did you take their insurance options. Normally when we rent we just use our own insurance company but wondered whether we should get additional insurance.....also what about the gas ....did you choose to fill and end or buy theirs?

Appreciate your help.

:confused:

Have another question regarding when you boarded ....I understand we go through customs and you said it just took 45mins.....but I have also read other folks say 2hrs......we are taking a 4hr city highlights tour from 10 to 2 with drop off at the pier....check in time is 11 to 3. Do you think we will have any problems time wise with the tour?

:confused: :eek:

thank you

Loving this!!! Alaska is on my bucket list and want to duplicate your DIY land portion!!! Thanks for taking time to post this fabulous review! I do have question. You said you drove 15 miles into the park that was allowed without a permit. Do you get a permit to travel on or what?:)

Debbie

At mile 15 the road is no longer paved and a permit must be acquired to venture further. I believe permits are available up until Memorial Day and then in September until snow falls and you can drive 30 miles in. Then in mid-September they have a lottery and award permits to 1600 vehicles which are allowed to drive the entire 92 miles into the park. I think this is right but you should check on the park website.

You must go to Alaska -- it is amazing!!

We are getting a rental in Fairbanks.....did you take their insurance options. Normally when we rent we just use our own insurance company but wondered whether we should get additional insurance.....also what about the gas ....did you choose to fill and end or buy theirs?

Appreciate your help.

:confused:

We did not take the rental car insurance option - we always rely on our regular auto insurance policy. We never buy their gas but instead fill up before returning. Enjoy!!

Have another question regarding when you boarded ....I understand we go through customs and you said it just took 45mins.....but I have also read other folks say 2hrs......we are taking a 4hr city highlights tour from 10 to 2 with drop off at the pier....check in time is 11 to 3. Do you think we will have any problems time wise with the tour?

:confused: :eek:

thank you

We got to the ship early so I'm sure that had something to do with the quick boarding. Maybe at 2 pm most people will already be on board?? I have heard the busiest time is between noon and 2 pm but can't verify that. We always arrive about 11 - 11:30 am.

Southbound we headed with all day to get to Anchorage for our very late flight to Baltimore ($275 each).

The things we saw..........astonishing.

Our first stop was Broadpass Cafe in Cantwell. It was connected to a gas station and looked a little iffy, but there isn't much along this stretch of road and we were hungry so we went for it.

9097534486_2abaf622cd_b.jpg

What a joy it was. Good ol' folks and really good food. My pancakes covered the entire plate and were so scrumptious I scarfed down what I could like a mad woman. DH ended up eating half of them.

Look at em'!!

9097441356_3c051bf89b_b.jpg

Tummies full, it was back on the highway.

We pulled over to the North Denali Lookout but thought it highly unlikely Mt. McKinley would be visible a second time. Lo and behold, we were blessed with another view!! How fortunate we were. 20 more photos (I'll only make you look at one) and off we went.

9194640737_d34a29f878_b.jpg

To the right.

9147218728_579f262ccb_b.jpg

We came upon a very interesting place called Wal-Mike's in Trapper Creek.

9184899591_446b7ded2c_b.jpg

There she is again under that tree.

9097533086_4d123d2634_b.jpg

It was filled to the brim with anything and everything you could imagine and we had a good time browsing the endless array of items. The owners were quite interesting; he sported a long, out-of-control beard and his wife/partner flitted here and there in a hot pink bikini (yep, it was that warm and nope she shouldn't have been wearing it). He was quite talkative and informed us the Palins had a place just across the road. It was a fun stop.

Further down the road......

9095299859_c7154c9d2d_b.jpg

You sure don't look "mature"! Great picture of you all perky. You have a great sense of humor and I have really enjoyed your trip. Thank you for your suggestions and answering my questions

:D

Thanks, but I'm only a year away from the big seven-0. Yikes!! :eek:

Suddenly, just before the old mining camp, a road block abruptly ended our journey. Uh, you can see why.

9097531628_c554f7e7dc_b.jpg

We backtracked to the highway feeling extremely lucky to witness this astounding scenery.

On the way out.

9097530876_d5ce01736f_b.jpg

Further south we traveled, stopping briefly in Wasilla. Nope, didn't see Sarah.

Next up was the Musk Ox Farm in Palmer. We browsed the visitor's center and saw these Ice Age creatures from a distance. The cost to walk out in the field closer to them was way too pricey so I took this distant shot.

9097532092_afdbcab140_b.jpg

From there it was straight to Anchorage with three hours to spare before the rental car was due back. We looked around town and shopped for more "stuff" which we had to cram in our personal carry-ons as we definitely could not squeeze another thing into our overstuffed bags.

I had read recommendations for Humpy's, of Man vs. Food fame, so we stopped there for dinner.

It was exceptionally busy on this Tuesday evening. I had the best chicken burger ever!! Why is all this food so good? I must say we had truly marvelous food during this entire journey.

9101002839_710faef70f_b.jpg

9103232200_88fc6b741e_b.jpg

9203185211_ca6735cee7_b.jpg

We arrived at Anchorage Airport and turned in the car in plenty of time.

9103231136_4abedee6fc_b.jpg

We checked in for the long flight home and my mind was overflowing with recollections of the incredible last two weeks. It is difficult to capture in photos the beauty of Alaska or to describe the awe-inspiring experiences of this captivating and wondrous Last Frontier. If only I was a gazillionaire and could send every American to this majestic land. They would be, as my granddaughter says, lucky ducks!

Bye Alaska - I Love You

9101001743_f1dbd28370_b.jpg

Our trip was nothing short of phenomenal, and if I never see another beautiful thing and do not mark another thing off my Bucket List, I am fully satisfied.

I love life.

Now back to that list!

Great review! I really really enjoyed it! :D I have been fortunate to go on two Alaskan cruises and can't wait to go back for a land tour!

Thank you for sharing! :D

You are quite welcome. The trip was so awesome.

Thank you for this review and thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. I just returned from Alaska as well and I found the scenery breathtaking. We really lucked out on the weather. :)

My pleasure. I hear it is so hot now they are calling it "Baked Alaska!"

Awesome, excellent and inspiring review....thanks ever so much!

I bet you agree with our fellow CC member...your camera just isn't good enough!

Come September!!!!!!!!!

Right, you just have to see it to believe it. Hope your trip is as wonderful as mine was.

Archived