Avomine/Sea sickness tablets

Radiance OTS cruising out of Sydney on 10.12.2013 will be our very first cruise and I'm planning on stocking up on avomine or any sea sickness tablet that will work... Just in case!

Anyway, we are also quite seriously considering the premium beverage package but have read on somebody else's post not to mix alcohol and any sea sickness tablets.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Thank you in advance :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Radiance OTS cruising out of Sydney on 10.12.2013 will be our very first cruise and I'm planning on stocking up on avomine or any sea sickness tablet that will work... Just in case!

Anyway, we are also quite seriously considering the premium beverage package but have read on somebody else's post not to mix alcohol and any sea sickness tablets.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Thank you in advance :)

I can't say for ALL tablets...not a doctor. But I had prescription sea sick tablets, one a day, taken early evening. Although I was not a heavy drinker (a scotch in the cabin while dressing for dinner, maybe a cocktail later on), certainly didn't affect me (I cluck like a chicken before the tablets).

Only joking.

I think that is a catch all 'warning' - yes it does affect people and it can potential increase that effect with alcohol...but like alcohol, it is all down to build, metabolism, age, even sex (maybe). Bottom line is if your nervous..don't drink (or take the tablets).

use the sea sick bands that go around your wrist and put pressure on an acupoint in your wrists Sounds weird but they work

Google them and you can purcash on-line

I got mine for $2 at The Reject Shop. :D

When it comes to sea bands even the manufacturer says they only work for about 50% of the people so if it is your first time using them they may not work for you.

Keith

I agree. I personally wouldn't rely on them because my motion sickness is caused by an inner ear problem not psychological reasons.

I asked my pharmacist for advice re drinking alcohol while taking seasickness pills, as again friends had said that you could with some varieties, she said there were no seasickness pills that could be taken with alcohol. The problem being, as we all know, what do you do if it comes on after you have had a drink ?

Kwells work really well for me, these are available over the counter in a pharmacy in the UK. The effective ingredient is hyoscine hydrobromide, 300 micrograms. They do cause drowsiness.

when we did the voyager at xmas time my daughter suffered for the first few days... not my bands, not my kwells ... nothing worked poor kid... though staying up half the night at the nightclub may not have worked in her favour....

on about the third day she was so over feeling sick so she came and found me early one morning and we went down to the medical centre... it was too early for anyone to be there but there was this box full of sea sick tables .... they are American Medi Meclizine ( I think they have the same active ingredient as avomine ... but don't quote me )

she took the tables went back and had a couple hours sleep and when she woke she was a new person for the rest of the trip.... she did go down and grab a couple of handfuls incase of emergency ....

She now swears by them... some times some people just need the hard stuff!!

Thanks for everyone's input once again.

I completely understand what you're saying about the bands - if we choose to take them with us we will also be visiting Chemist's Warehouse before to stock up on the best pills we can get! You can never be too sure. :)

The meclizine described above is called Bonine and is only available in the States, but I have read you can buy them online. On another thread some posted that they are called Antivert in Australia and are prescription medication.

When we cruised last year we did no take the chance that we would wait and see if we get seasick, so I got a friend to buy Bonine in the US for me and we took one a day at night two days prior to the cruise and up to 2 days after. My son felt slightly dizzy on the first night and the seas out of sydney head were very rough, so we gave him 2 on the first night, within 20 minutes he was fine.

If you research sea sickness and the use of Bonine it is a medical issue related to the brain / inner ear, so I agree with another poster that seabands are psychological and may not be useful if you are susceptible to seasickness.

Taking a pill as a precaution is a lot better than waiting to see if you get sick and then trying to address it and ruining your holiday.

BTW I did drink cocktails and other alcohol each night, not excessively and Bonine had no effect, I did sleep well at night though!

Archived