Not eating in MDR at all, fair to remove part of gratuities?

The last two times I allowed the added gratuity for mdr service but did not really want to pay. I am now thinking I'll have the MDR grat removed on my Dec. 2013 Allure trip. I am not using their services and spending a lot of $$$ in other venues. Why should I pay?

If you want to do that for dining services, fine, but remember you should still tip housekeeping, which is included in the gratuity breakdown.

I don't get all these people saying, 'just pay it'. RC needs to acknowledge their new way of dining for cruisers. The venues are changing but the old system of 'how to tip' is still in place and I'm sorry but it doesn't always make sense.

RC needs to acknowledge their new way of dining for cruisers. The venues are changing but the old system of 'how to tip' is still in place and I'm sorry but it doesn't always make sense.

Agree. But, until they do, I'll just continue to follow their recommended guidelines. The last thing I want to do is have to put thought and energy into tipping. I would just as soon they adjust the fares and be done with it completely.

The extra you are paying amounts to about the price of a drink. I like to think of it this way because then I realize what a great bargain the incredible service is.

That's not really true. I travel with my family of 5 and our gratuities for one night in the MDR works out to about $30. Last cruise we ate in MDR 2 out of 5 nights and I paid all tips +.

I always pay the tips regardless but I do think there should be alternate solutions.

Agree. But, until they do, I'll just continue to follow their recommended guidelines. The last thing I want to do is have to put thought and energy into tipping. I would just as soon they adjust the fares and be done with it completely.

That's your opinion and that's fine but I don't understand the (general) impatience with people who do not want to do that. btw if everyone acted like you there is absolutely no reason for them to change their outmoded tipping system.

Hello Marci Seeing the number of posts you have I am assuming you know a lot about RCI.

As you know ALLURE/OASIS class ships have so many restaurants that you can completely avoid the MDR and WNDJMMR. Access to the Cl helps. I am not suggesting I not tip house keeping or anyone else. Just the dining gratuities.

btw if everyone acted like you there is absolutely no reason for them to change their outmoded tipping system.

I realize that but honestly, it is not my responsibility to worry about how the staff is paid. It is the cruise line's.

It seems like there's a lot of complaints about how annoying these tipping threads are (understandable since I'm sure most of you have seen way too many) but I just wanted to throw in the perspective of 2 completely new cruisers in their 20's:

Seeing all these threads has put gratuities on our radar so now when we are vacation-planning and comparing options (different cruises, land vacations), one of the first things we do is factor in tips as part of the costs. It helps with the planning and reduces the unbudgeted expenses at the end (still plenty of those with shopping ;)).

Also, the prepaid or auto-gratuities system is SO much more convenient for us vs. paying in cash. Cashless is almost always better as far as I'm concerned. Less cash to carry; the extra credit card charge means more points, cash back or miles on your card; and you can apply any leftover OBC towards the gratuities.

Two comments related to recent posts.... You aren't being squeezed if you choose more expensive dining options. You are choosing to pay more and the extra tips is part of that choice. Don't stiff the crew to make your more expensive choices cheaper for you.

I think many cruisers long for the old hand cash to who served me days. We just need to get over it and enjoy our vacation. Pay the recommended tips and extra if you feel like it, and move on.

Just my $3.50 a day worth.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We booked Allure for 2015. We chose MTD and are prepaying tips. Are those not wishing to pay tips choosing TD? Doesn't make a difference to us if we never eat in the dining room. There are other people sharing those tips as well.

There was no line when we went to Guest Services.

When we received our envelopes in our stateroom, the attached paper showed a breakdown of who was getting a tip and what percentage they were getting. We absolutely LOVED our head server (Sylvester). However his name was not listed as our head server. This also happened with our room steward. Thinking maybe their name tag is not their real name we asked. We found out the people named on our gratuity list were not the people who took such good care of us. So we asked the people at our table what we should do. They suggested that we go to Guest Services and remove the gratuities and give them the cash. We didn't care about getting credit for it. We just wanted to make sure that it went to right people. Until I read some of these tipping threads I was not aware of the pooling of the money. Otherwise we would have left it alone and handed them extra cash on the last night. And yes we did give the more than the amount suggested by DCL. They deserved it!!:)

we have taken quite a few Royal cruises the last being this past January before tips were automatically added. I have never seen a list of servers/stewards given in cabin with envelopes naming who tips are going to. Is this something new? I am a firm believer in NOT removing tips - however if I got a list showing my tip was going to Sam instead of Bob Id be unhappy with that.

We booked Allure for 2015. We chose MTD and are prepaying tips. Are those not wishing to pay tips choosing TD? Doesn't make a difference to us if we never eat in the dining room. There are other people sharing those tips as well.

Then the bigger question should be.............why am I paying tips to persons who do not serve me or the areas I frequent? I can understand why waiters and bussers and WNjmmer servers/busser, and housekeeping..but who else is getting these tips?..........RCI can pay their own wages

If you want to do that for dining services, fine, but remember you should still tip housekeeping, which is included in the gratuity breakdown.

I don't get all these people saying, 'just pay it'. RC needs to acknowledge their new way of dining for cruisers. The venues are changing but the old system of 'how to tip' is still in place and I'm sorry but it doesn't always make sense.

Agreed... but what is the solution? I too feel very uncomfortable with removing anyone's gratuities. But hate paying so much in tips considering I pay in the CL and other specialty venues.

Agreed... but what is the solution? I too feel very uncomfortable with removing anyone's gratuities. But hate paying so much in tips considering I pay in the CL and other specialty venues.

I'm not minimizing your situation but you realize that the amount you are talking about is about $6-$7 per day, right? Housekeeping is a separate gratuity.

I'm not minimizing your situation but you realize that the amount you are talking about is about $6-$7 per day, right? Housekeeping is a separate gratuity.

Yes but times 7, and times 2 to 4 people. Add that to all the dining expenses...it adds up..................I know I have always thought if you cant afford stay home....but I love cruising

we have taken quite a few Royal cruises the last being this past January before tips were automatically added. I have never seen a list of servers/stewards given in cabin with envelopes naming who tips are going to. Is this something new? I am a firm believer in NOT removing tips - however if I got a list showing my tip was going to Sam instead of Bob Id be unhappy with that.

The poster was talking about an experience with Disney, not Royal.

What happened prior to the pre-paying and Automatic Gratuity programs?

Envelopes were left in your stateroom for your waiter, busboy and stateroom attendant. I never saw any envelopes for Windjammer or behind the scenes housekeeping personnel. How did these people get paid prior to these tipping programs? Why don't we throw in a few more bucks so the guy who is hanging over the side of the ship painting the rusty spots gets a taste?

Please give me feed back on his one..............

While on Oasis/Allure We get the 4 night dinner package and eat at Chops the first night BOGO. That leaves 5 nights in Specialty Rest. The other two nights we usually play it by ear, either eating off ship or Tapas etc. We take our breakfasts and lunches in the CL. We tip cash every day for lunch and brkfst in the CL We never set foot in the MDR or the WNDJMMR. The am/lunch waiters in the CL are from chops or park rest.

We have favorite servers in Chops and Giovanni's and always over tip while there and always over tip in any specialty restaurant.

The last two times I allowed the added gratuity for mdr service but did not really want to pay. I am now thinking I'll have the MDR grat removed on my Dec. 2013 Allure trip. I am not using their services and spending a lot of $$$ in other venues. Why should I pay?

I'd sign up for MTD. according to cruisenfever (who is a very trusted and knowlegeable source on these boards) if you sign up for mtd and never eat dinner in the mdr (not even one) your dining grats will be split amongst the wj and specialty servers. see post #92

Royal should increase the tips by $2.50 per person. This way $1 dollar can go to the maintenance staff. Another dollar can go to the people who work the guest services desk. And the final .50 cents should go to all the friendly faces that check you in at the port.

I think the cruise lines should simplify the tipping conundrum by adding a Service Charge or Hotel Fee, and it should be a percentage of the fare, just like the 15% on beverages.

Next, they should reduce my fare, because I don't plan on using the pool, the gym, or any of the show venues.

This thread is in regards to traditional tipping when eating most meals out of MDR. It's not about tipping other workers, it's not about paying for the FlowRider.

Lots of comments about RC paying fair wages and not penalizing workers, but what it comes down to is that dining today is not what it used to be. I see requests to tip MDR workers when eating most, if not all meals at specialty or other venues to be double dipping by RC.

Things change; their tipping policy needs to change. And btw I have never removed standard tips when dining in specialty.

Yes but times 7, and times 2 to 4 people. Add that to all the dining expenses...it adds up..................I know I have always thought if you cant afford stay home....but I love cruising

I feel your pain. Often we cruise as a family of 5.

I agree with Marci, but until there is another plan in place, I'll continue to keep the gratuities in place. With everyone doing something different it just doesn't seem like there is an easy solution.

I think the cruise lines should simplify the tipping conundrum by adding a Service Charge or Hotel Fee, and it should be a percentage of the fare, just like the 15% on beverages.

Next, they should reduce my fare, because I don't plan on using the pool, the gym, or any of the show venues.

What do you plan to do on board? Simply eat and drink when you aren't sleeping? If you want to put it like this, maybe someone else should be paying for my share of the food since I'm not eating even half of what most are eating. Probably not even 1/4.

Gina

This thread is in regards to traditional tipping when eating most meals out of MDR. It's not about tipping other workers, it's not about paying for the FlowRider.

Lots of comments about RC paying fair wages and not penalizing workers, but what it comes down to is that dining today is not what it used to be. I see requests to tip MDR workers when eating most, if not all meals at specialty or other venues to be double dipping by RC.

Things change; their tipping policy needs to change. And btw I have never removed standard tips when dining in specialty.

I think you are right. With all the new restaurants, their tipping policy should at least be a lot more clear cut - in writing. As soon as we think we have it all figured out, things change. Maybe dining should be a tip as you go deal, or skip the daily added gratuity charge and become an all inclusive fare. I do know all the arguments against taking the cruise line in that direction, but RCI has taken the cruise line into the direction of all those dining options that it's become a bit ridiculous trying to sort out the tips.

It seems cruising on Vision of the Seas is the only clear cut ship as far as dining room tipping. Either you are eating in the dining room or the windjammer or you aren't really eating.

Gina

What do you plan to do on board? Simply eat and drink when you aren't sleeping? If you want to put it like this, maybe someone else should be paying for my share of the food since I'm not eating even half of what most are eating. Probably not even 1/4.

Gina

Someone is paying your share of the food.

I'll be on shore 6 days out of 7, but that wasn't my point. People keep whining about gratuities, and I say, suck it up. I'm paying for facilities I don't use, but they are there, at my disposal. The same holds true for gratuities. Perhaps I'll eat my main meal of the day in a land restaurant, but the dining room staff remains available to me, as they do for you.

Our pre- paid gratuities are about 7% of our basic fare. Subtract what goes to our steward/housekeeping, and it's less than a glass of wine apiece for dining staff. I have no sympathy for the complainers, especially those who get the loyalty freebies.

And cruisers complain about the cruise lines nickel and diming. Sheesh.

Archived