"Legends" show questions

bangzoom6877

I'm interested in participating in the Legends show on our upcoming cruise on the Carnival Splendor. A few questions:

1. How do you go about auditioning and what is the audition process?

2. Do they choose which celebrity you will be impersonating?

3. Which celebrities are involved?

4. Generally, at what point in the cruise does the Legends show take place and is it at night or during the day?

5. I sing well (and definitely plan to do karaoke too), but do you have to sing in order to participate or is it a lip sync show?

Thanks in advance! :)

I'm interested in participating in the Legends show on our upcoming cruise on the Carnival Splendor. A few questions:

1. How do you go about auditioning and what is the audition process?

2. Do they choose which celebrity you will be impersonating?

3. Which celebrities are involved?

4. Generally, at what point in the cruise does the Legends show take place and is it at night or during the day?

5. I sing well (and definitely plan to do karaoke too), but do you have to sing in order to participate or is it a lip sync show?

Thanks in advance! :)

1 - The auditioning usually occurs at regular karaoke sessions.

2 - You choose which celebrity you want to audition for.

3 - I don't know if "Splendor" has upgraded yet or not. If not, the celebrities are: Frank Sinatra - Elvis Presley - James Brown - Aretha Franklin - Elton John - Garth Brooks - Ricky Martin - Britney Spears

4 - The "Legends Show" has always been presented on the last evening, one performance, usually at 10:30 P.M., in the BIG LOUNGE.

5 - It is absolutely you singing! No lip syncing, unless no one wants to do a particular artist, then a member of the entertainment staff might lip sync that part.

Let me say that the "Legends Show" is GREAT FUN. You'll be costumed to look like your "Legend", and sing on the big stage, in front of lots and lots of your fellow guests. You'll probably even have dancers with you on the stage, (depending on which legend you are.) I highly recommend auditioning for the show. You'll never forget the experience.

Ken

"SKY"

On 6/2 Splendor sailing, the "Legends" show was held at 10:00 PM and many passengers missed out on it since a good portion of the second sitting in the Golden Pearl dining room didn't get their food until 9:45 PM! A little hard to "leave early" when your main course hasn't made it out as yet! For some reason that night, service was very slow. Normally, "show time" happens right before dessert. That night it happened before our main course.

Be aware, it is only one show for both sittings and it didn't even last 1 hour!

MARAPRINCE

Adding to this reply. Madonna was also in our show ( a passenger). My husband auditioned and was in the show on our last sailing. Its a dedicated audition done karaoke style and you choose which star you want to audition for. There is a set song you need to sing at the audition. If you are chosen then they give you lyrics and an mp3 player and you have the next day to practice. I believe on our 7 day sailing there was one day between audition day and performance day. They held a dress rehearsal on show day in the afternoon.

1 - The auditioning usually occurs at regular karaoke sessions.

2 - You choose which celebrity you want to audition for.

3 - I don't know if "Splendor" has upgraded yet or not. If not, the celebrities are: Frank Sinatra - Elvis Presley - James Brown - Aretha Franklin - Elton John - Garth Brooks - Ricky Martin - Britney Spears

4 - The "Legends Show" has always been presented on the last evening, one performance, usually at 10:30 P.M., in the BIG LOUNGE.

5 - It is absolutely you singing! No lip syncing, unless no one wants to do a particular artist, then a member of the entertainment staff might lip sync that part.

Let me say that the "Legends Show" is GREAT FUN. You'll be costumed to look like your "Legend", and sing on the big stage, in front of lots and lots of your fellow guests. You'll probably even have dancers with you on the stage, (depending on which legend you are.) I highly recommend auditioning for the show. You'll never forget the experience.

Ken

"SKY"

While all the try outs for the various parts are during karaoke....they are not all done on the same night.

So check with the karaoke host to see when the part you are after is having try outs.

It is the most fun .... I recommend it to anyone who loves to sing.

Yes, you do have to memorize the lyrics but it is an abbreviated version and they let you borrow an MP3 and give you the lyrics to practice.

I have been Aretha (only once), Brittney a bunch of times, Gloria a bunch of times, Elton John once ~ when we could not find anyone else to do it, Sonny and Cher twice each (which are parts usually done by staff).

Seems no matter what ship it is, they always have the same list of celebrities and same songs. And for whatever reason, in the last 5 Legends shows I watched, we always got a very poor Britney Spears (which makes me think the real Britney really has talent), a poor to so-so Madonna "Like A Virgin", a so-so Elvis Presley, a good Ricky Martin (but the impersonaters for female latin were usually poor), a great Garth Brooks "Friends in low places", a great great Frank Sinatra "My Way" and the end.

Seems no matter what ship it is, they always have the same list of celebrities and same songs. And for whatever reason, in the last 5 Legends shows I watched, we always got a very poor Britney Spears (which makes me think the real Britney really has talent), a poor to so-so Madonna "Like A Virgin", a so-so Elvis Presley, a good Ricky Martin (but the impersonaters for female latin were usually poor), a great Garth Brooks "Friends in low places", a great great Frank Sinatra "My Way" and the end.

You're absolutely correct! They were supposed to change out all the "Legends", except Frank Sinatra, and Elvis, but I have yet to sail a ship where that's the case. You're also correct about the "talent" of some of the "Legends". I don't really know why it's that way, but you're right on. I like to think that the "Elvis" impersonator, and the "Sinatra" impersonator are almost always excellent. (Hmmmm,,,, I've been "Frank", and "Elvis" many, many times in the show.) :cool:

"SKY"

I would love to impersonate Britney Spears! A lot of people tell me I look like her (in her more "normal" days lol), and it would be so much fun! Anyone know which song I'd have to sing? Does physical resemblance to the celebrity help getting into the show?

They've had chubby Britneys, country Franks(beating out my dad in his second chance), and white Aretha's ! My dad was a very authentic Sinatra. When dad won his role, the DJs chose the performers. Now it's by applause, so bring a cheering section.

I'm glad that I got to do it once (I was Aretha) on the Dream in 2010 but I haven't wanted to do it again since they give you an mp3 player with the song and time spent practicing that plus the rehearsal with the performers and the actual show felt like it took an entire day from our cruise. It was fun though :p

I'm glad that I got to do it once (I was Aretha) on the Dream in 2010 but I haven't wanted to do it again since they give you an mp3 player with the song and time spent practicing that plus the rehearsal with the performers and the actual show felt like it took an entire day from our cruise. It was fun though :p

This is my only concern. But if it's a song I already know, I won't need that much practice time. Is there anyone that can give a list of songs they have used?

They need to stop sitting on their wallet and have profesional entertainment every night and have the legends show during the aftenoon of the last sea day. IMO the song selection is getting tired. (I realize the band doesn't know every song in the book) I'd do it if I could choose the song even if it is canned karaoke music.

James Brown - I Feel Good

Aretha Franklin - Respect

Elton John - Crocodile Rock

Britney Spears - Hit Me Baby One More Time

Madonna - Like a Virgin

Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places

Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca

Gloria Estefan - Rhythm is Gonna Get You

Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock / Hound Dog

Frank Sinatra - My Way

Note that all of these songs are abbreviated versions, so you don't have to learn the whole thing. That's another reason they give you the MP3 player to rehearse with. Once again, LOTS of fun,,,(especially the costumes) :rolleyes:

"SKY

You're absolutely correct! They were supposed to change out all the "Legends", except Frank Sinatra, and Elvis, but I have yet to sail a ship where that's the case. You're also correct about the "talent" of some of the "Legends". I don't really know why it's that way, but you're right on. I like to think that the "Elvis" impersonator, and the "Sinatra" impersonator are almost always excellent. (Hmmmm,,,, I've been "Frank", and "Elvis" many, many times in the show.) :cool:

"SKY"

Elation, in 2012 had The NEW Legends show... I did Bruce Springsteen, which replaced James Brown from the old show... Since then, in 2013, Elation no longer has the Legends Show. In fact, the CD on Elation this past January told me that The legends Show has been discontinued on a lot of ships being replaced by the Talent Show, which to me is a better show anyway. The costumes for Legends were hokey at best, and you were forced to sing the song Carnival wanted for each performer.. With the Talent show, you audition just like for the Legends show, except you can pick the song you want to sing. If the band doesn't know the song, you can have it played from a karaoke CD. Much better to me.

Elation, in 2012 had The NEW Legends show... I did Bruce Springsteen, which replaced James Brown from the old show... Since then, in 2013, Elation no longer has the Legends Show. In fact, the CD on Elation this past January told me that The legends Show has been discontinued on a lot of ships being replaced by the Talent Show, which to me is a better show anyway. The costumes for Legends were hokey at best, and you were forced to sing the song Carnival wanted for each performer.. With the Talent show, you audition just like for the Legends show, except you can pick the song you want to sing. If the band doesn't know the song, you can have it played from a karaoke CD. Much better to me.

I would rather do the talent show, as I have on past cruises. But it's been 13 years since I cruised on Carnival and now I had heard of the Legends Show. I would love to just pick my own song, wear something nice, and sing. But from a recent review of the Splendor (this ship we're going on), they still do the Legends Show. I'm game though...I'm a 'ham' when it comes to all this stuff and I will have fun no matter what...hoping I get in! My family would have a blast watching me if I was in it!

They need to stop sitting on their wallet and have profesional entertainment every night and have the legends show during the aftenoon of the last sea day. IMO the song selection is getting tired. (I realize the band doesn't know every song in the book) I'd do it if I could choose the song even if it is canned karaoke music.

It has nothing to do with the wallet.

Carnival has had some form of Talent Show as far back as 1982.

It is a Carnival staple, like the Love and Marriage Show.

I would rather do the talent show, as I have on past cruises. But it's been 13 years since I cruised on Carnival and now I had heard of the Legends Show. I would love to just pick my own song, wear something nice, and sing. But from a recent review of the Splendor (this ship we're going on), they still do the Legends Show. I'm game though...I'm a 'ham' when it comes to all this stuff and I will have fun no matter what...hoping I get in! My family would have a blast watching me if I was in it!

I agree ... I too prefer the Talent Show.

However, I do understand why they tried the "Legends" Show. This gave them some control on the quality of show that was performed.

I can not tell you how many ACDs hate the Talent Show because they have no idea what (if any) Talent will show up.

If they are going to keep the Talent Show, then they should audition in karaoke so that only the best perform.

I agree ...

If they are going to keep the Talent Show, then they should audition in karaoke so that only the best perform.

I agree with you Linda, but their come back will be that some of the acts that "perform" in the talent show, are not singing acts. I've seen all kinds of "strange talent" done there. Frankly, for the most part, I agree that they probably shouldn't be there, but what the hey, they've got just as much right to be on stage as you and I. (Last cruise, there was a guy who read some kind of "thing" that he wrote, while sitting on the steps to the stage????? Another time, we had a guy who did a Rubiks Cube, really fast???? ) I've seen some outstanding singers, and instrumentalist doing the talent show,,,and then there are some others? :eek:

"SKY"

I know what you mean. Dad complained that he had to give up many "cocktail hours" and even complained that mom and I coming into the cabin were disturbing his concentration!

It was worth it tho when he got a standing O for his performance.

I agree with you Linda, but their come back will be that some of the acts that "perform" in the talent show, are not singing acts. I've seen all kinds of "strange talent" done there. Frankly, for the most part, I agree that they probably shouldn't be there, but what the hey, they've got just as much right to be on stage as you and I. (Last cruise, there was a guy who read some kind of "thing" that he wrote, while sitting on the steps to the stage????? Another time, we had a guy who did a Rubiks Cube, really fast???? ) I've seen some outstanding singers, and instrumentalist doing the talent show,,,and then there are some others? :eek:

"SKY"

They could still audition any kind of act at karaoke. (not just singing)

There just needs to be some kind of audition process so that you do not end up with a couple of drunk girls doing the electric slide to the song I Shot The Sheriff. (yes, that really happened)

(and they did not even know how to do the electric slide)

They could still audition any kind of act at karaoke. (not just singing)

Actually, I've seen them turn down someone at the rehearsal. Only once have I seen this, but it did happen once. (I've seen several times when I would have turned them down, if I'd been in charge!) ;) You're right however, that there should be something more than going to the piano bar and saying, "Yes, I can play the piano, and sing, and tap dance all at the same time, and I'll be in the talent show"! :eek:

"SKY"

Actually, I've seen them turn down someone at the rehearsal.

"SKY"

So have I. In fact, at the sign/rehearsal the entire band was there as well as the CD on Elation. They all voted on who made the show and who didn't. One guy who thought he was funny and wanted to do stand up comedy was quickly sent packing when he did a series of jokes and you could hear a pin drop in the room. They were pathetic. Another singer, or so he thought he was, was so terrible that the CD actually asked the guy if he was tone deaf.

I spent 2 years as a musician in the showband on several Carnival ships. A lot of the musicians do hate doing the Talent and Legend shows, as well as Superstar Live Karaoke. I always liked doing amateur shows on board. It was a way for us to appreciate the talent we were working with on board (The professionals)

Actually, I've seen them turn down someone at the rehearsal. Only once have I seen this, but it did happen once. (I've seen several times when I would have turned them down, if I'd been in charge!) ;) You're right however, that there should be something more than going to the piano bar and saying, "Yes, I can play the piano, and sing, and tap dance all at the same time, and I'll be in the talent show"! :eek:

"SKY"

I've never seen anyone turned down for the passenger talent show and I participated in a few of them back in the day. Then again, it was all singers, and they were very good and deserved to be in it. I remember years ago in the daily activity schedule they specified that no stand-up comics were allowed to participate in the talent show. But I haven't been on Carnival in 13 years so that was a long time ago.

I work in a high school where I oversee a student-run show and I also help out with hair & makeup on the musicals. Our students are very talented (we have excellent theatre, art and music programs here). If I worked on a cruise ship and was in charge of the talent shows, I would be very picky about who I allow to participate.

So have I. In fact, at the sign/rehearsal the entire band was there as well as the CD on Elation. They all voted on who made the show and who didn't. One guy who thought he was funny and wanted to do stand up comedy was quickly sent packing when he did a series of jokes and you could hear a pin drop in the room. They were pathetic. Another singer, or so he thought he was, was so terrible that the CD actually asked the guy if he was tone deaf.

I spent 2 years as a musician in the showband on several Carnival ships. A lot of the musicians do hate doing the Talent and Legend shows, as well as Superstar Live Karaoke. I always liked doing amateur shows on board. It was a way for us to appreciate the talent we were working with on board (The professionals)

Wow, that's awesome that you worked on Carnival! I would imagine that working with passengers could be annoying, especially depending on the passenger's personality and talent level (or lack thereof).

Archived