Ft Lauderdale Hotels and Price Line

chopper825

I am trying to book a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale in January and not coming up with many of the nicer hotels you guys talk about as available. So many people speak of using price line and I have never done that. Am a little apprehensive. Any tips or anything I should be aware of. It looks like you choose the number of stars you want and bid. How do you how much to bid? Is there a guideline? Will they give me hotel close to the pier and how can I be sure if I have no say as to what hotel it is. Thanks for your help. I am a little nervous about this. What if I get stuck in a dump.

Chopper, I am going through the exact same thing right now looking for a hotel in January. This is high season. Yesterday I made a bid on Priceline and it wasn't accepted even after adding "free zones" (zones that don't even have a 4 star hotel within them). You can learn a lot by reading http://www.biddingfortravel.com This will tell you which hotels are what stars, in what areas. This is based on what other winning bids have received but remember hotels can always change.

For a cruise out of Port Everglades, I've learned that you can't go wrong with either the Beach area or the Downtown area when you select an area on priceline. Don't be too concerned about free shuttle either as it is only about a $5-7 cab ride to the pier. If you want something very economical, I've heard recommendations for Amerisuites too in the same general location (it is a 2 1/2 star property).

We too are looking for a hotel in Jan. Prices are much more than what people are talking about on priceline. I keep checking everyday on hotwire as well, maybe I should just book it as it seems I'm not going to get any 3 star for around $100 or even under $125.

We too are looking for a hotel in Jan. Prices are much more than what people are talking about on priceline. I keep checking everyday on hotwire as well, maybe I should just book it as it seems I'm not going to get any 3 star for around $100 or even under $125.

We booked 2 rooms (for 4 couples) at the Embassy Suites on 17th for our precruise night in January. I will be trying Priceline as it gets closer but I've been told this is very high season in January so wanted to have a cancellable backup. I think it's a wise idea to at least book SOMETHING so you have a room if your Priceline bids don't work out. Two other couples that are traveling with us are hemming and hawing about booking a room and I hope they aren't making a mistake. Just be sure whatever you book is completely cancellable.

I'm actually trying to pigeon hole the Hyatt Pier 66 on Priceline by bidding 4 star only and adding the free zones where I know no 4 stars exist. I bid up to $115. and was rejected so now I'm waiting the 72 hour period before trying again. The best price I've found for the Hyatt on our night is $220. I agree....the prices in January certainly aren't what others are getting on Priceline for other times of the year!! (I'll add that I'm probably pickier than many because I want windows that open or a balcony for ventillation and I've found that many of the hotels have inoperable windows even in the nicer hotels).

Just for everyone's information.

The Embassy Suites will be beginning a massive renovation program this September. The top 5 floors are going to be completely done over. Even though all 5 floors will not be closed down at the same time, they will have less rooms to offer.

I tried to book Embassy Suites through their own website and it came up unavailable. I also tried Marriot Marina on their own website which was unavaible. So far Holiday Inn Express looks about the best I am gonna get. I was also trying to book a hotel and than try priceline later, but no luck.

I got the Comfort Inn, Ft. Lauderdale with free shuttle from airport and to port for $109 with a military/government rate for January and February. They wanted $189 for the old folks rate! What a joke. Not the greatest place in town but a roof over my head and a coin-op washer to do clothes between cruises.

Tucker in Texas

petlover -

I finally got the Hyatt Pier 66 (4* Beach) for $110 on Priceline for Nov 4th after a few rejections over the last two weeks. I used all 4 rebid zones. My friend also was able to get the Hyatt for her December cruise for $119 on Priceline. I also used the advice on http://www.BetterBidding.com.

Good luck.

Chopper, rather than try to book Embassy Suites on their website, I'd call the 800 number just in case there was a glitch for the date you're looking for. I had no problem booking a room there yesterday for January 9th. I wanted to have a back-up if all else fails with priceline.

Beachlovergirl, I'm so happy to hear that someone is getting the Hyatt Pier 66 on Priceline. Maybe I'll have better luck a month from now. Thanks for sharing the good news!

I tried to book Embassy Suites through their own website and it came up unavailable. I also tried Marriot Marina on their own website which was unavaible. So far Holiday Inn Express looks about the best I am gonna get. I was also trying to book a hotel and than try priceline later, but no luck.

What dates are you needing? There is a marathon in Miami on the 30th and a few hotels are holding block of rooms from Jan 28-30 for the runners.

I too was apprehensive about priceline, but now I am hooked on it.

To better understand how priceline works, please read these two web sites: http://www.biddingfortravel.com and http://www.biddingforfun.com both are great sites for first time priceline users.

I like to bid 3* downtown and so far have gotten the Marriott Hotel and Marine, great hotel. I have never paid more than $75 for this hotel through priceline. The Marriott does not have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, but does, however, have a shuttle from the hotel to the pier the next morning. But please do be concerned about the shuttles, everything is so close in Ft. Lauderdale that a cab ride from the airport to the hotel is about $13 per cab. This hotel is great and if you ask for a tower room (which they are always very accomodating is one is available) you will wake the next morning to see all the cruise ships docked across the water way.

Hope this has helped and you will give priceline a try. Its a little early for bidding for January right now, but be patient.

Archived