First time cruiser on celebrity equinox

cyprus0_3

Great to hear so many positive comments on Equinox. We will be sailing her in Sept and It seems everyone loves her.

Can anyone give specifics as to what they love the most?

The Sunset Bar. It's a wonderful place to watch activity in ports, and the perfect venue for sailaway. The staff are great, and make the best cup of Americano on the ship. Mr. Kadek knew to start me on coffee, and he seemed to know exactly when to come around with my red wine.

My butterflies are getting so active, I feel nauseated! LOL

A few questions for Celebrity experienced cruisers......Will there be a 'costume' type dress up party and if so, may I ask the theme! (Left out in the cold the last one (cowboy/western):)as I had packed nothing theme wise. I know some knew in advance as they were dressed accordingly!!). Again, I have heard so many different stories on the best exchange rate, some say use only credit cards, some say only cash, some say get money before you leave, some say wait to get to the airport of country and use ATM machine. If you have some good advice please share. Steve's said max at ATM, and pay cash for everything but that doesn't seem safe. Another couple said they used card the whole trip and had no trouble (hackers) and account of what they had bought.

No dress up nights on our 4 =X= cruises.

As far as money, and this has been discussed exhaustively, the best and easiest is just to use ATM's on shore. Just be sure to notify your bank (and credit card company) that you will be traveling abroad. We have spent months at a time in Europe and always use ATM's, which are everywhere.

My butterflies are getting so active, I feel nauseated! LOL

A few questions for Celebrity experienced cruisers......Will there be a 'costume' type dress up party and if so, may I ask the theme! (Left out in the cold the last one (cowboy/western):)as I had packed nothing theme wise. I know some knew in advance as they were dressed accordingly!!). Again, I have heard so many different stories on the best exchange rate, some say use only credit cards, some say only cash, some say get money before you leave, some say wait to get to the airport of country and use ATM machine. If you have some good advice please share. Steve's said max at ATM, and pay cash for everything but that doesn't seem safe. Another couple said they used card the whole trip and had no trouble (hackers) and account of what they had bought.

Hi,:) Celebrity does not have "theme nights"....they might have a

deck party at the pool (On Caribbean Sailings) but no costume

parties. You are sailing to the MED?...your days will be filled with

wonderful ports:)....I rarely stayed up late in the evenings......tired

after dinner and touring all day.

Everyone has their own way of doing the money thing. I got all

my Euros here at home and I always bring at least 2 credit cards

with me when I travel. Many folks prefer to get their euros after

they land in whatever country they are in.....we all have to do

what is best for ourselves.:)

Thanks so much for replys. Thank goodness no dress up party, really cheesy!!

I guess it doesn't really matter about euros=usd=credit cards. Think we are going to do a little of both.

Yes, we are going to the Med! on Equinox, the 4th! (First time with Celebrity) Last year we went to Ireland on a land tour and loved it. this year the Med. Hopefully next year will be the Baltic. Really want to do Holy Land tour, but the area is just too volatile. We are retired, children married with families, empty nesters. We told the kids we were spending their inheritance and all were good with that......so, we are! LOL

Thought of another question......is it a good deal to book next cruise on this trip? In the past we just ignored the nvite. Thanks

:D

Hi we have our first cruise coming up in September. Not sure what to expect , seen the drinks packages on line are they per day or are they per evening? Also dress code do you wear bikini or a full costume? As I read alot of passengers are older than my 45 years. Many thanks

It is hard to imagine your first cruise, but you could not have picked a better ship! I had my 2nd cruise on her:).

Loved my cabin with the oversized balcony (angled off the hump, no: 8256). The beautiful lounges and the Solarium.

Had the classic non alco package, worked out would need to drink more then four drinks (like coffee, juices and water) a day to get the money back. It worked out for me (just) but not for my Mum, she would have been better off buying individually (as she mostly drank tea).

On the other hand it is great to have the convenience not having to sign for each drink, you only have to give the server your seapass.

Next time I am going to try the premium non alco.

You can wear any kind of bathing suit, except for topless.

For mingling with the other and/or younger guests. First join your roll call. Go to the forum for roll call. Then go the Equinox, find the roll call date for your cruise and post your introduction to join. See if they have a sail away gathering planned. You can also join a Connection party that does a "meet and greet" organised by Celebrity for Cruise Critic members. This is usually a coffee morning on the first sea day. The roll call is also great for sharing transfers to and from port and excursions.

Check out the daily patter for activities that would appeal to the younger guests for meeting a bit more younger crowd.

You might also find that you only would want "to cruise" and will not have much need for activities, as you are probably are doing an intensive Med cruise. Anyway, just enjoy to the max:D:D, because there is only ever going to be that "first one".

Question.......will the ship give out maps of the ports we will be visiting?

Yes, but they are basically shopping maps showing you where the 'ship sponsored' shops are--i.e. they get a kickback. If you are DIY'ing it, you should buy or print out maps or directions of where you want to go.

• 6 months later...
Hi we have our first cruise coming up in September. Not sure what to expect , seen the drinks packages on line are they per day or are they per evening? Also dress code do you wear bikini or a full costume? As I read alot of passengers are older than my 45 years. Many thanks

Hi Cyprus,

We have booked to go on the Equinox in August and this will be our first cruise. I would love to know how you got on and if you have any tips for us as we are around the same age and also from the UK. No. I'm really worried about the dress code:confused:, not a formal person except when going to a wedding. Look forward to hearing from you!

You will love it!! & won't it disappoint you, Don't worry about the dress code, we had 3 formal nights, but not everyone was in black tie, as long as it's smart, or there is the buffet restaurant, which has also has really good food & a lot of choice, just not waiter service, we choose to do our own excursions, we booked a cab when we got off, and did it that way, as there tours can be expensive, one day we didn't get off as we had been to that destination a few times, so had the pool & jacuzzi to our selves, as days at sea can be very busy around the pool, but always managed to get a bed,sometimes we didn't have desert as wanted to catch the show in the theatre & they start at 9 & 11,if you have any questions please ask & il try to answer, where are you going ?

Hi Cyprus, thanks for the information. We are doing the 12night Venice overnight. Really looking forward to the Italian ports and Nice. We have signed up for a couple of trips with a few others that I have been in contact with through the roll call.

My other half is not keen on wearing a shirt & tie every night on his holiday, he always wears short sleeved shirts or polo shirt.

Did you have to book to go to the theatre or is there plenty of seating to just turn up?

thanks again for your help

Class of people - not a lot of children - food much better for most part - management of the ship. Where are you going? We will be cruising Sept. 20th to the Med - can't wait even though this will be our 17th cruise - we never tire of them.

Hi Cyprus, thanks for the information. We are doing the 12night Venice overnight. Really looking forward to the Italian ports and Nice. We have signed up for a couple of trips with a few others that I have been in contact with through the roll call.

My other half is not keen on wearing a shirt & tie every night on his holiday, he always wears short sleeved shirts or polo shirt.

Did you have to book to go to the theatre or is there plenty of seating to just turn up?

thanks again for your help

Cannot book the theater, never had trouble finding a good seat.

A short sleeve short or polo with khakis or slacks is fine for every night except formal night in the MDR.

We will be sailing from Ft. Laud in Feb and if it is anything like our last boat, it will be great. I love Celebrity. However, don't buy insurance from Allianz. In fact I will never buy insurance again. They never pay full refunds and they have so many restrictions, it's better to take a risk. Insurance just makes you feel better and if you have no problems then it seems like a good idea. However, should you have your ship break down.... forget about any refunds. Celebrity, Millennium Alaska Ketchikan August 15, 2013.

The theatre is big, so you should be fine, trousers, jeans, short sleeve shirts fine except the formal nights, you can wear shorts in the buffet restaurant, as long as there in long trousers of some kind, and a short sleeve top rather than a vest,that's ok in the main restaurant, I haven't been to Venice, it's on my list, hope you have an amazing time, the ship or the staff won't disappoint,