SZ or SY on the Oosterdam?

MR NW GUY

I have noted just a few SZ cabins and many more SY cabins on the Oosterdam. Is the SZ considered better or more expensive than the SY? IF so, anyone know why?

There are just 2 SZs on this class of ship (I just booked one on the Westerdam). Personally, I like the SZ better than the SY, since they seem to be a bit larger and have an angled balcony and area in the cabin. The SYs however are a bit more mid-ship, which is nice. Both categories are on deck 6.

The SZs are a bit cheaper than the SYs. HAL normally "holds back" the SZ cabins and they can be difficult to book, since HAL likes to use this limited category for sales price promotions and only offers them as a "guarantee" (so they can easily upgrade you to an SY or better to fill up the ship). IF you book an SZ guarantee, most of the times you will not get one of the two SZ cabins. I was lucky and actually got to book one of the two SZs on my sailing, but this is an exception, not the rule.

DaveOKC

I have noted just a few SZ cabins and many more SY cabins on the Oosterdam. Is the SZ considered better or more expensive than the SY? IF so, anyone know why?
The SZ are always cheaper as they are used as the advertised "starting at" price for Signature suites.

On the Vistas and Signatures there are always two. Originally on the Eurodam 5093 and 5098 were SY, but they were downgraded to SZ when 10005 and 10006 were upgraded to SU. After 3/30/14, 6106 and 6111 will be downgraded from SS to SZ ... so no, there is no real difference between SZ and SY,

Thanks for the insight and information! I am on a Guar. It will be interesting to see what I get.

You might get an UPSELL offer to a Neptune suite. These offers come out about 2-3 weeks before sailing and of course are dependent on how many (if any) Neptune suites are available. If this interests you, you should let your Travel Agent know to watch for it. The costs can vary, but should be in the general area of $299 more per person for a week cruise. Well worth it IMO.

DaveOKC

My parents had an SZ on the Westerdam (6117). Absolutely LOVED it. The stateroom is larger than other Signature Suites and the angled balcony was wonderful for sightseeing (you have a much more panoramic view of your surroundings), plus you have much more space. At one point in time, there were 10 of us hanging out in the balcony. :o

We called a few days before sailing when we saw some price drops for our sailing, and the HAL agent told us to hang on to this specific stateroom over any other higher category Signature Suites because these SZ's are hidden gems. I was VERY glad I took her advice.

I had asked on this board when I booked this stateroom if there would be any issues with wind since the balcony opens forward, and even though some people said yes, that bit of information was incorrect. We were able to use the balcony all week long, even when we were sailing at full speed. We had more wind issues with our standard VC balcony on the Verandah deck forward.

My parents had an SZ on the Westerdam (6117). Absolutely LOVED it. The stateroom is larger than other Signature Suites and the angled balcony was wonderful for sightseeing (you have a much more panoramic view of your surroundings), plus you have much more space. At one point in time, there were 10 of us hanging out in the balcony. :o

We called a few days before sailing when we saw some price drops for our sailing, and the HAL agent told us to hang on to this specific stateroom over any other higher category Signature Suites because these SZ's are hidden gems. I was VERY glad I took her advice.

I had asked on this board when I booked this stateroom if there would be any issues with wind since the balcony opens forward, and even though some people said yes, that bit of information was incorrect. We were able to use the balcony all week long, even when we were sailing at full speed. We had more wind issues with our standard VC balcony on the Verandah deck forward.

Tapi - you just made my day!! This is the cabin I have booked for my next cruise! I had heard good things about it, and the potential negative of the wind, so I really appreciate your first hand knowledge.

DaveOKC

Tapi, thanks for the post. We have an SZ booked on the Zuiderdam in a couple of weeks, and have been second-guessing our choice ever since as this is our first cruise and weren't sure of what we were doing. Now we can relax about this issue and obsess over other ones!

Still no room assignment.... Now I am really hoping that we get the SZ with the angle balcony.

Just for your information, the two SZs have different angled balconys, one faces aft, the other angle faces forward. Pros and cons to each.

Since you are new to HAL I will give you a tip - for some strange reason the room assignments are posted on your luggage tags about one day before you see them on the website under your reservation. So, go into your account with HAL and pretend to print off your luggage tags and se if it is on them.

DaveOKC

Just for your information, the two SZs have different angled balconys, one faces aft, the other angle faces forward. Pros and cons to each.

Since you are new to HAL I will give you a tip - for some strange reason the room assignments are posted on your luggage tags about one day before you see them on the website under your reservation. So, go into your account with HAL and pretend to print off your luggage tags and se if it is on them.

DaveOKC

Thanks for all the insight and tips...

Everything worked out very well!

We were assigned and SY room this am and moments later the Upgrade Fairy sent an offer. We had our choice of several Neptune Suites and chose our favorite Aft corner cabin. We don't really use the Neptune lounge that much, so being on the Aft is our location of choice.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the insight and tips...

Everything worked out very well!

We were assigned and SY room this am and moments later the Upgrade Fairy sent an offer. We had our choice of several Neptune Suites and chose our favorite Aft corner cabin. We don't really use the Neptune lounge that much, so being on the Aft is our location of choice.

Thanks again!

Glad it orked out well for you. Do you mind sharing how much more they wanted to upgrade to the Neptune suite? We are looking at doing this in Sept.

I would not give up my SZ angled room unless it was for a corner aft like you got. Good job IMO.

DaveOKC

Archived