Sapphire Review – Southbound Alaska June 8th, 2013 – 1st Time Princess and Alaska

JohnBoy in NC

Thanks for posting this detailed review. We leave in one week.

Two uick questions since I'm on my phone - what did you do with your luggage during the PWS glacier tour? We are driving in, so different than what you did. Did you leave your luggage with MM or was princess accepting luggage early?

Also, how did you bring your bottles of wine on board? I read that a lot of people pack them in their suitcases, but I'm kinda nervous to do that. Plus I don't know if we'll space.

Hi emeltee

great questions...I tried to glean from the boards before our trip as well. Since we took the Alaskan RR - when we arrived via cab from the hotel - the white tent area to the side of the train station was the luggage check-in - Princess reps were there and took our 3 bags (we had one large suitcase and 2 carry-ons). I transferred my wine before-hand to my backpack (which contained our camera/kindle)...so on the train and Major Marine boat I had just my backpack....as well as Princess check-in.

Hope this helps - have a great trip!

John in NC

Thank you so much for the awesome review.

One quick question: did the Sapphire stay in the true inside passage the whole time? Sometimes they call the cruises "inside passage" sailings but they go into the open waters anyway for part of the time.

We'd like to do this cruise but only if it stays in the interior between the little islands the whole time because my mom gets extremely motion sick.

Thanks! Katherine

Thanks Katherine.

True passage.....we were following a Holland ship at the time and they took a different turn...we went around Black Knee - which our naturalist on board was excited about (more opportunities for wildlife) that captain's choice. A few hours later the Holland ship came in behind us. Calm seas. The only really open seas was from Whittier that night/day cruising to Hubbard glacier it seems....

John in NC

Thanks for answering my questions. You have been so helpful!

So it just sounds like you hand carried your wine onto the ship, right? Well, hand carried in your backpack, that is vs checking it in with your luggage? Do you think we should bring some reusable shopping bags and carry wine on that way? We are a party of 5 adults and might have 5 bottles of wine with us.

Another question - this time about clothing.

What did you wear during the boat cruises? PWS & H&M? Did it get really cold/windy?

How about during glacier viewing aboard the Sapphire?

Thanks for answering my questions. You have been so helpful!

So it just sounds like you hand carried your wine onto the ship, right? Well, hand carried in your backpack, that is vs checking it in with your luggage? Do you think we should bring some reusable shopping bags and carry wine on that way? We are a party of 5 adults and might have 5 bottles of wine with us.

Another question - this time about clothing.

What did you wear during the boat cruises? PWS & H&M? Did it get really cold/windy?

How about during glacier viewing aboard the Sapphire?

No problem--glad to help!

1) yes---carried wine in backpack. I bought wine diapers on amazon (3 pack) and put in my checked luggage all the way from NC...these are reusable and work great....so they stayed in this package (like big zip-lock bubble wrap) in my backpack while boarding the ship....rest of luggage already in stateroom when we arrived after Major Marine. Shopping bags may work---assume you are buying in Anchorage or Vancouver (wasn't sure which itinerary you are on)?

2) clothing - well we were blessed with sunny skies---no wind at these locations. On PWS it was maybe 60 or so, but of course the water is cold...so as the boat moves if up front you will need layers or a jacket. I did not wear a jacket on PWS but my wife did. I just wore a long sleeve shirt with a T-shirt over that. On Harv/Marv tour--I just wore one long sleeve shirt and was fine, even with fast motoring on small boat. Again it was sunny. Glacier Bay and Hubbard were colder - at least in the morning for me....I wore silk thermals and a jacket until the afternoon...and then I went to the room to change into a bathing suit and tank top. Again it was sunny and no wind.

BTW both excursions (boats) had insides/protection in case it is raining etc.

We were prepared (luggage wise) with layers and waterproof jackets and gloves/hats for cloudy/cooler/windier conditions. However never wore the gloves the whole cruise...wife did not either. I only wore my cap/hat at Glacier Bay (morning/early afternoon). Wore my jacket Hubbard/Glacier Bay only.....maybe during inside passage early morning out on the Promenade.

Hope this helps!

John in NC

John, Could you please tell me which deck you were able to go out to when you did the sanctuary viewing? we do not have a balcony and viewing Glacier Bay is a huge priority for us. I am wondering aside from doing th sanctuary experience where the best viewing area would be.

John, Could you please tell me which deck you were able to go out to when you did the sanctuary viewing? we do not have a balcony and viewing Glacier Bay is a huge priority for us. I am wondering aside from doing th sanctuary experience where the best viewing area would be.

Hi---the Sanctuary is at the front of the ship--top deck (right above Lotus pool/spa). The public space that I ventured to for unobstructed picture taking was immediately adjoining it. So if you look on the deck map it is the Sports deck I believe...there are glass panels/waist high swing doors that separate the Sanctuary...and there you have some rail space for viewing and there are some regular lounge chairs.

If I was going again on Sapphire and did not do the Sanctuary---this is where I would be if it was a nice sunny day. However the Promenade Deck circles the whole ship...so I have to imagine there would be some space for viewing...close to water and is covered....I just did not make it down to Deck 7 on this occasion.

BTW the captain will rotate/spin the ship in front of Marjorie Glacier....we hit Marjorie around 1pm...and around 3pm you pass nearby Lamplugh glacier...gorgeous in itself.

Hope this helps....have a GREAT time!!

John in NC

Loved your review...the weather from your photos looks unbelievable!!

Welcome to Princess...we love the Sapphire...wish she wasn't exclusively on the West Coast and Pacific!

Appreciate the comments and the Princess welcome. :) I trust my upcoming Crown will be a great cruise too, but the Sapphire will always have a special place. If the Diamond gets the same upgrades in 2014...hope to try her sometime in the future,

Thanks!

John in NC

John, It looks like we had almost the same sort of experience on the Sapphire. We took the Sapphire on an April California Coastal cruise a few months ago. We also stayed on Plaza deck and loved the location, although our room was also very warm and we had them out a couple of times to try and fix the temperature issue. They claimed it was cold in the room (based on the computer thermometer) and said it was as good as it was going to get. They did bring us a box fan though and that helped out alot. We also loved Alfredo's and pretty much ate there everyday with IC items added to the meal. I think it's going to be hard to go on another Princess ship and not have Alfredo's available to us! Thankfully, we are booked on one more Sapphire cruise this October before it leaves the west coast next year.

We were also very impressed with the anytime dining and the efficiency. We had cruised on Carnival three times before going on the Sapphire, and the dining experience was much more refined, efficient, and better quality on the Sapphire than our last few Carnival cruises. I LOVED the fact they don't do any song and dance in the dining rooms and just work efficiently without all the hoopla of the dancing waiters, singing, etc. I guess we are "boring" like that, but it's hard to ever go back to Carnival and their atmosphere. We enjoyed our Carnival cruises, and paid VERY low prices for those cruises, so I am not trying to slam them...they have a place in the market for sure, but it's Princess for us mostly in the future!

I am also looking at sailing on the Crown when she comes to the West coast next year, but it really will be disappointing without having Alfredo's. We loved having that alternative casual, but elegant option of eating there. I wish they would implement Alfredo's in all their ships somehow.

Thanks for the review.

Edited by jbobst

Enjoyed reading your review. We will be on the Sapphire in October to Hawaii and Tahiti. We are taking the sailing this year just to be on the Sapphire. Our first time on her.

Also looking forward to the Crown in January as well. Maybe our paths will cross!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also loved Alfredo's and pretty much ate there everyday with IC items added to the meal. I think it's going to be hard to go on another Princess ship and not have Alfredo's available to us!

I agree ....and hope they do implement Alfredo's on some future drydocks!

We were also very impressed with the anytime dining and the efficiency. We had cruised on Carnival three times before going on the Sapphire, and the dining experience was much more refined, efficient, and better quality on the Sapphire than our last few Carnival cruises.

Hopefully the Crown will be the same way. I was impressed all week (food and fast service).

We enjoyed our Carnival cruises, and paid VERY low prices for those cruises, so I am not trying to slam them...they have a place in the market for sure, but it's Princess for us mostly in the future!

me too...I enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises....may sail them in January 2015 for daughter's college grad celebration with her friends....(Breeze/Miami, Sunshine/Port Canaveral or Pride/Tampa)...depends on which itinerary.

Thanks again for your comments - have a great trip on her this fall!

John in NC

Enjoyed reading your review. We will be on the Sapphire in October to Hawaii and Tahiti. We are taking the sailing this year just to be on the Sapphire. Our first time on her.

Also looking forward to the Crown in January as well. Maybe our paths will cross!

Wow---you are going on my ultimate trip....sigghhhh. That is wonderful---very excited for you!

Yes I hope to meet you on the Crown in January ....I see your list of cruises and I would love to hear about some of them! (on my bucket list)

John in NC

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, so much for your detailed report on your cruise and also the Princess Patter. We are doing a cruise/tour with Princess to Alaska in August and our cruise portion is on the Sapphire. There will be eight of us, I've put this together for all of us and enjoy the planning part so all your information is helping me plan our trip. Thanks again!

• 5 months later...