Jeans and jacket in MDR on formal night

I was on the Allure (with a full boat) last week and the MDR was very casual all nights. Less tuxes and coats that I have ever seen. I wore Khakis and an oxford on formal night and nice summer shorts and a golf shirt on casual night the rest of the cruise. Asked the head waiter if he had any issues and said "no". Jeans and a jacket are perfectly fine.

Many women do dress up more, but I think that is just because they can and want to.

On the way to work this morning, someone passed me going about 20 mph over the speed limit. The speed limit is meaningless.

I know, speed limits and dress codes are very different, but to say that something is meaningless, because you observed people ignoring it without consequence, is not good logic. :cool:

But it is meaningless. On my Allure cruise last fall there was a Q&A in the Aqua Theater with senior officers, including the Hotel Director and the Captain. Someone asked why people were being permitted into the MDR in shorts, t-shirts, and baseball caps. They said they had complained to the Maitre'D and the Maitre'D told them that the dress code is just a suggestion. During the Q&A the Hotel Director (in front of the Captain) agreed with the Maitre'D and said that there is no dress code, just suggestions made of what to wear, and that people are free to wear whatever they want and nobody would be denied entry to the dining room based on their clothes.

At this point there is no dress code. RCI suggests attire for the MDR just as they suggest various shore excursions, spa treatments etc. Based on my Allure cruise it is truly anything goes; you will see lots of people still adhering to the "suggestions" but many who opt to don clothes more casual than I would be comfortable sporting at a fast food venue - even on formal night.

During the Q&A the Hotel Director (in front of the Captain) agreed with the Maitre'D and said that there is no dress code, just suggestions made of what to wear, and that people are free to wear whatever they want and nobody would be denied entry to the dining room based on their clothes.

At this point there is no dress code.

Yet you will have some here that just insist on arguing that there IS a dress code. It doesnt matter to them what the Captain, Hotel Director or Maitre'D or even the waiters say. They still insist on holding on to the "good ol days" days of cruising and forcing their opinion on others about what or what not to wear.

Codes are generally enforced. "Suggestions" are not.

With all that said, me and mine will abide by the suggestions. :) In fact, I tend to go a little "overboard" no pun intended.

cruisepictures101.jpg

But it is meaningless. On my Allure cruise last fall there was a Q&A in the Aqua Theater with senior officers, including the Hotel Director and the Captain. Someone asked why people were being permitted into the MDR in shorts, t-shirts, and baseball caps. They said they had complained to the Maitre'D and the Maitre'D told them that the dress code is just a suggestion. During the Q&A the Hotel Director (in front of the Captain) agreed with the Maitre'D and said that there is no dress code, just suggestions made of what to wear, and that people are free to wear whatever they want and nobody would be denied entry to the dining room based on their clothes.

At this point there is no dress code. RCI suggests attire for the MDR just as they suggest various shore excursions, spa treatments etc. Based on my Allure cruise it is truly anything goes; you will see lots of people still adhering to the "suggestions" but many who opt to don clothes more casual than I would be comfortable sporting at a fast food venue - even on formal night.

Again, enforcement is not really the measure of whether or not something is meaningful. That was my point. There is a dress code, which is a set of guidelines on how to dress. (The term "Dress Code" does not necessarily require enforcement. In fact, it is often used to refer to unwritten rules of the appropriate way to dress for work and other situations, where there is no formally written guideline at all.) That is not quite the same as suggestions of spa treatments you might enjoy. Your comparison there is off the mark.

I agree with the fact that you don't have to dress according to the recommended guidelines. But they are still meaningful in communicating what is expected.

And when you take things out of context, they may seem like that.

Now let's include the Question and the first paragraph of the answer that you have conveniently deleted and preceed the text you have included.

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

When you place it into full context RCI is stating that there is a dress code. It is NOT suggested that there is a dress code. However, because peopled do not know how to dress appropriately, they also provide example (suggestions) of what types of attire is appropriate. It is not stating that the dress code is suggested.

The RCI webpage that explains the dress code (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334) even goes further to tell how many formal & smart casual nights are on each cruise.

Everyone - start complaining. Tell RCI that you are upset because the dress code is not being enforced. When enough people complain, RCI will begin to take it seriously. Until then, there is no incentive for RCI or its employees to do anything.

I must be reading this wrong and seeing different from you. It doesn't say they have a dresscode. It says it has different types of evenings and its suggested.

OP should just run up and down the hilltoon a few times

If the President and CEO of RCI says that there is a dress code, why is everyone still questioning it? But the problem, as he states, is in its enforecement.

From Adam Goldstein:

"Enforcing the Dress Code in the Main Dining Room

I receive emails asking “why did you let so and so in the dining room with that on?” and other emails asking “why didn’t you let me in the dining room?” Our intention is to establish reasonable rules and then to enforce them. This area involves degrees of difficulty that can challenge us and create frustration for our guests. If the dining room staff notices guests entering the dining room who are not dressed according to the guidelines they should notify the guest. If the guest is already seated, it is more difficult to broach the subject with him/her.

Across the fleet we follow the formal night dress guidelines that are printed in the Cruise Compass. What we consider appropriate dress for formal nights has changed over the years due to style trends. For example, baseball caps and hats are not permitted at dinner, especially on formal nights. But on some itineraries we have a guest mix that prefers to wear cowboy hats when they dress up so we allow it. In addition, shipboard teams may struggle with enforcing the formal night dress code due to the itinerary, especially on days when we remain in port until late in the day as guests may have limited time to get back to their staterooms to dress up.

Please rest assured that we will continue to focus on the most appropriate way to enforce our dress code."

Source: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/enforcing-the-dress-code-in-the-main-dining-room/

In answer to an above post:

I must be reading this wrong and seeing different from you. It doesn't say they have a dresscode. It says it has different types of evenings and its suggested

The answer RCI have provided is to the specificied question "Q: What are the dress codes onboard?" RCI could have easily stated that there are no dress codes. But alas, they did not (reinforcing the fact that there is a dress code), and actually explained what the three dress codes are.

And when you take things out of context, they may seem like that.

Now let's include the Question and the first paragraph of the answer that you have conveniently deleted and preceed the text you have included.

Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

When you place it into full context RCI is stating that there is a dress code. It is NOT suggested that there is a dress code. However, because peopled do not know how to dress appropriately, they also provide example (suggestions) of what types of attire is appropriate. It is not stating that the dress code is suggested.

The RCI webpage that explains the dress code (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334) even goes further to tell how many formal & smart casual nights are on each cruise.

Everyone - start complaining. Tell RCI that you are upset because the dress code is not being enforced. When enough people complain, RCI will begin to take it seriously. Until then, there is no incentive for RCI or its employees to do anything.

In your response, you further muddied the waters by inserting things like muster drill, policies on weapons and explosives, age restrictions and such. These are quite different from "rules" that are mostly about courtesy to other passengers.

Many on these discussions have said that if RCI really cared, they would enforce. They often do not police and enforce the things that ggo85 pointed out (reserving deck chairs/seats, taking drinks out of the CL). So, much like the dress code, these are up to the individual to either respect or not, whether you label it as a rule or a guideline. Shorts for dinner in the MDR is similar. They are expressly called out as not allowed (a rule, using your style of analysis), yet people often wear them, anyway, because they think, as long as I can get away with it, that's all that matters. :cool:

Rules vs. suggestions. The bottomline is that there is a difference. A large difference. You can pretend there isn't, but that is just putting your head in the sand.

I vote that you guys take out your calligraphy pen sets, write an 18-page letter to company, seal it with your wax logo ring, fetch a courier, pay him a shiny nickle, and get this fixed in a jiffy! Put on your tuxedos, pretend to be rich/famous, and in no time at all RCI will grant all your wishes! They install a constabulary to guard the doors to the MDR. No riff-raff or hooligans will be allowed to cross the sacred threshold!

Those items are actually rules. You don't need quotes around them. They are not suggestions. They are rules.

Let me show you the difference

The only difference b/t a rule and a suggestion is enforcement. Period.

All guests must attend the mandatory muster drill, and follow all other safety instructions issued by the Captain. This is a rule.

Actually, it's the law for ships that call in US ports. And may be the law in other jurisdictions as well.

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, is permitted onboard. Items not permitted onboard will be taken by ship’s Security. This is also a rule.

It's a rule b/c it's enforced. If there were no effort to screen passengers, it would become a suggestion. Because it involves passenger and crew safety, it's enforced. Ironically, so is the prohibition on bringing alcohol aboard but that's enforced for business reasons.

Guests are strongly encouraged to wash their hands with soap and hot water after using the restroom and before eating or handling food.

This is a guideline or suggestion.

And impossible to enforce. They do make some effort to enforce use of sanitizers at entry to dining locations.

Adult Night Club/Disco - Age 18 and over. (See alcohol policy.)

This is another rule. They will remove you if you aren't 18.

Given that the drinking age on RCCL ships is 21 . . . I don't think it's all about alcohol. This is an odd hybrid. I think it's basically b/c RCCL wants an adult atmosphere in the disco and is willing to enforce it for any number of reasons, alcohol probably one of them.

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Yet another rule. This is black/white.

I've probably done 15 RCCL cruises and have NEVER seen this enforced. It's very clear but, as with the dress code, is not enforced.

The bottom line is that ships enforce the following (in the following order):

1. Weapons (security)

2. Lifeboat drill (the law or STRONG policy)

3. Alcohol limits (law or STRONG policy depending on where ship is sailing)

4. Other "rules," "guidelines," "suggestions," etc. Enforced only if the desire of the line to encourage this behavior outweighs their lack of desire to annoy some passengers who are in "violation."

Rules vs. suggestions. The bottomline is that there is a difference. A large difference. You can pretend there isn't, but that is just putting your head in the sand.

I vote that you guys take out your calligraphy pen sets, write an 18-page letter to company, seal it with your wax logo ring, fetch a courier, pay him a shiny nickle, and get this fixed in a jiffy! Put on your tuxedos, pretend to be rich/famous, and in no time at all RCI will grant all your wishes! They install a constabulary to guard the doors to the MDR. No riff-raff or hooligans will be allowed to cross the sacred threshold!

You obviously have a deficiency in reading comprehension that has led you to errantly conclude that I really care whether RC enforces their dress code or not. However, I agree that there is a difference between rules and suggestions. For example, in dress code, formal wear on certain evenings is a suggestion; no shorts in the MDR in the evening is a rule.

There is also a difference, a large difference, between rules about things like saving seats and rules about muster drill, bringing on weapons or underage drinking. You can pretend that there isn't, but that is just putting your head in the sand.

the "suggestions" are merely examples of what the cruiselines deem appropriate attire for a particular evening. The shame is that adults need to have written examples given to them.

The crew is hesitant to enforce those rules and we don't blame them. We've seen some pretty ugly exchanges between crew and pax who were denied entrance to the MDR because of what they were wearing.

We also remember the days when the MDR doors were closed fifteen minutes after the designated seating time and no pax were admitted to the MDR after that. You could hear the arguments through the closed doors.

I don't blame the crew for giving up. I also don't blame them for not confronting pax for saving seats in theaters...or at the pool. The same boors who would cause a scene at the MDR doors wouldn't hesitate to do the same in those other venues.

So what we have are people who will do as they please and dress as they please and the lines will tolerate them as long as they can muster up the price of their cruisefare. The lines have had to lower their standards in order to fill their ships.

I've probably done 15 RCCL cruises and have NEVER seen this enforced. It's very clear but, as with the dress code, is not enforced.

I have seen the chair thing be enforced several times. Much more in the last year. They have been very active.

The clouds miss you.

For example, in dress code, formal wear on certain evenings is a suggestion; no shorts in the MDR in the evening is a rule.

I am not sure if you have cruised in recent years, but you seem fixated on what used to be, not what is. Shorts have been permitted in the MDR for at least the past couple of years now on RCI and during the past year have become extremely common. Sure there are still old signs with the verbiage of years gone by, but at least on the Allure the Hotel Director, Captain and Maitre'D all said shorts are perfectly fine when someone complained about this in a public Q&A. Personally I find the MDR too cold for shorts (and I eat in the specialty venues most nights anyways), but the meal I did have in the MDR there were lots of people in shorts. Not a majority by any means, but a sizable number. Your comments would have been spot on four or five years ago but are now dated and inaccurate with what is the new reality.

What I do wish they would enforce is not storing strollers (especially double wides) in the hallways and not using balconies as storage units (some Central Park and Boardwalk balconies had so much crap out on them it looked like a flea market). :eek:

I am not sure if you have cruised in recent years, but you seem fixated on what used to be, not what is. Shorts have been permitted in the MDR for at least the past couple of years now on RCI and during the past year have become extremely common.

I cruised in April of this year on the Navigator. From what I saw, nothing has changed. You see some people in shorts, even though the Cruise Compass still says no shorts (not just old signs). That was true four of five years ago, as well. It was not then a rule that was strictly enforced.

I am not bothered by it, but again, lack of enforcement is not the same as it not being the rule. I'm not sure why you're so determined on this, but whatever.

Edit: Checked a recent Allure Cruise Compass that someone had posted from a January cruise. It, too, has a reminder that shorts, bare feet etc. are not appropriate in the evening. Seems the only change may be that more people simply ignore this rule, not that the rule has changed.

I don't care who wears what. However of you come to my table reeking because you deemed you don't care then I will complain same goes for naked. LOL

But if you want no rules then why stop at shorts and such, why not allow bare feet and bathing suits, wet or not? And strollers in the hall, who cares if it inconvenience you, go around it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

^^^^

I highly doubt it. Think of it this way . . . you're invited to a formal evening wedding. You wear jeans. Will the bride/groom or their families send you home? Of course not. But dressing appropriately shows respect for your hosts and your fellow guests.

Unless for health/safety reasons, dress codes are always suggestions. You really have to make the personal decision whether your desire to wear what you want outweighs the desire of others, including the hosts and fellow attendees, to create a certain atmosphere/environment.

Quite honestly, this is somewhat akin to the other "rules" on cruise ships -- no deck chair hogging, no saving seats at shows, no taking drinks out of the CL or DL, etc. The reason they exist is to create a pleasant experience for all. Most people "obey" these "rules" because they want to contribute to that positive experience. For those who put their own needs and desires first, cruise lines have to weigh the pros and cons of turning their staff into a "police force."

RCCL has generally decided to let things slip. Those who cruise RCCL frequently know this and still cruise with them. Those who don't obey the "rules" on the theory the rules are stupid, they are on vacation, etc. . . . there's really nothing that will change that -- except enforcement -- which isn't happening.

So the two camps remain entrenched and the debate rages.:(

Recently we held my oldest son's 21st birthday party and the theme he set for it was "Formal". A few of his friends balked at the idea of dressing in formal attire at first, but out of respect to our son and ourselves, they dressed accordingly.

These same boys came to us during the night and said that they felt quite good about themselves in their nice clothes and had gained the confidence to speak with older people in attendance, knowing that they would not be frowned upon for wearing jeans to such a special occasion.

It set the tone for a fantastic night, with people of all age groups mingling together.. without the older generation worrying about young ones in their rough looking clothes and giving the wrong impression.

We certainly appreciated the effort that these young men went to and it showed to us the respect that they have for our son.

I realize that still some will think that they do not have to show respect for the event that they are going to and can turn up to a formal event dressed like they are ready for a barn dance. But that is their choice.... to have respect or not.

Really how hard is it to do something different for a change, out of respect to your fellow cruisers and for the rules/guidelines put forth by the cruise line? They are only there to enhance the experience and if you do not want to take part -go to the buffet.. simple.

Really how hard is it to do something different for a change, out of respect to your fellow cruisers and for the rules/guidelines put forth by the cruise line? They are only there to enhance the experience and if you do not want to take part -go to the buffet.. simple.

That is the problem. People do not have respect. One of the weakest arguments of the antiformalist movement is that formal night is an antiquated throwback from the 50's. I guess to those people so is the "out-dated" notion of respect and courtesy towards your fellow passenger. Maybe cruise ships should be all-buffet or all specialty restaurants (for an extra fee) since that is the trend and in the 50's they ONLY had free MDR waiter service. Maybe do away with room stewards and only have someone come and clean the rooms at the end of the cruise (the room stewards are also a throwback from the 50s).

The shame is that they do not understand why there is a formal night or why anyone would want to take part in it. I really feel sorry for some of them - especially if they have children of your own for two reasons: (1) they are teaching the children that to break rules/guidelines (or whatever you want to call them) is okay, and (2) because they are also teaching them that courtesy to others does not matter.

For the passengers that do not comply with the dress code simply because they do not know what it is, or that it even existed, or even those passengers that wear their "Sunday best" but does not exactly fall under the guidelines, I really could not care what they wear - as long as they try to stay with the "spirit" of formal night. For those of you that intentionally wear something to violate the dress code, you are disrespecting me and your fellow passengers. Wouldn't logic dictate that if you know that there is a dress code on a specific cruise line that you would choose a cruise line with a more "casual" dress code?

Just as an aside - some above members have also posted that getting dressed up is not fun or relaxing. I and many others do. In fact, it is an "activity" on my cruise vacation that I make sure I attend. We even packed suits/gowns/dresses on our last cruise to Europe so we can enjoy formal night (and we did).

Maybe cruise ships should be all-buffet or all specialty restaurants (for an extra fee) since that is the trend.

That is exactly where we are headed. The cruise lines make more money that way.

I really could not care what they wear - as long as they try to stay with the "spirit" of formal night.

And in the "spirit" of formal night, I will continue to wear khakis and polo shirts. I doubt I'll emotionally scar the droves of tux- and dress-wearing children. Their parents, on the other hand...

That is the problem. People do not have respect. One of the weakest arguments of the antiformalist movement is that formal night is an antiquated throwback from the 50's. I guess to those people so is the "out-dated" notion of respect and courtesy towards your fellow passenger. Maybe cruise ships should be all-buffet or all specialty restaurants (for an extra fee) since that is the trend and in the 50's they ONLY had free MDR waiter service. Maybe do away with room stewards and only have someone come and clean the rooms at the end of the cruise (the room stewards are also a throwback from the 50s).

The shame is that they do not understand why there is a formal night or why anyone would want to take part in it. I really feel sorry for some of them - especially if they have children of your own for two reasons: (1) they are teaching the children that to break rules/guidelines (or whatever you want to call them) is okay, and (2) because they are also teaching them that courtesy to others does not matter.

For the passengers that do not comply with the dress code simply because they do not know what it is, or that it even existed, or even those passengers that wear their "Sunday best" but does not exactly fall under the guidelines, I really could not care what they wear - as long as they try to stay with the "spirit" of formal night. For those of you that intentionally wear something to violate the dress code, you are disrespecting me and your fellow passengers. Wouldn't logic dictate that if you know that there is a dress code on a specific cruise line that you would choose a cruise line with a more "casual" dress code?

Just as an aside - some above members have also posted that getting dressed up is not fun or relaxing. I and many others do. In fact, it is an "activity" on my cruise vacation that I make sure I attend. We even packed suits/gowns/dresses on our last cruise to Europe so we can enjoy formal night (and we did).

lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg?7f6c82c4e3ebc52dbf2e980dcc8631719b6d5f11

Carnival, royal and Norwegian ARE the casual dress cruise lines. None of them enforce a dress code and are moving away from formal attire.

And really someone could say the same to someone who wants the formal atmosphere. Maybe you should pick a line that enforces formal dress like Cunard.

The reality is it is not a secret that the mass market lines aren't going to force people to dress up. The choice is to accept it and continue to sail them or pick a line that does enforce it. Telling people here that they are disrespectful and should eat at the buffet isn't gong to make a bit of difference.

Put on your tuxedos, pretend to be rich/famous,

Speaking only for myself, my choice to wear a tux to the MDR on formal night has absolutely nothing to do with pretending to be rich or famous. I actually like dressing to the nines because I simply never get a chance to. I generally will even wear most of the tux the rest of the night sans the jacket. No since in not getting my moneys worth from the rental fee.

With all that said, I DO NOT CARE what anyone else chooses to wear to dinner as long as they are wearing something. I do not think wife beaters, caps, and shorts should be allowed but if someone wears jeans WHO CARES. To categorize ALL jeans as "garden clothes' is just stupid IMO. I wouldnt even notice anyway. Those that act like these people are a disgrace to cruising are ridiculous and they really need a life if all they do at dinner is sit and gawk at what people coming into the MDR are wearing.

Speaking only for myself, my choice to wear a tux to the MDR on formal night has absolutely nothing to do with pretending to be rich or famous. I actually like dressing to the nines because I simply never get a chance to. I generally will wear most of the tux the rest of the night sans the jacket.

With all that said, I DO NOT CARE what anyone else chooses to wear to dinner as long as they are wearing something. I do not think wife beaters, caps, and shorts should be allowed but if someone wears jeans WHO CARES. To categorize ALL jeans as "garden clothes' is just stupid IMO. I wouldnt even notice anyway. Those that act like these people are a disgrace to cruising are ridiculous and they really need a life if all they do at dinner is sit and gawk at what people coming into the MDR are wearing.

Agree. We dressed up and purchased formal pictures but I don't care if other people do it or not. At the table next to us there was a girl probably about 19-20 that wore short short shorts and flip flops every night. Didn't phase me because I don't spend my dinners staring at other people to make sure they are dressed how I think they should be. As long as goodie bits are covered and you don't smell I don't care what you chose to wear. If it really bothered me or I felt it had an impact on my experience I would sail a more formal line.

lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg?7f6c82c4e3ebc52dbf2e980dcc8631719b6d5f11

Touchy, touchy.

But I bet that Sgt. "Big Toe" Hulka would get dressed in his dress uniform on formal night.

That is exactly where we are headed. The cruise lines make more money that way.

RCI is a corporation. The goal of a corporation - all corporations - is to make money. This is especially true in the entertainment sector - cruise lines (main stream and yes, the upper level cruise lines), hotels, amusement parks, etc. Stating that cruise lines maintain formal nights solely for profit is a misnomer - they will keep them because if a cruise line only had pay-for food venues, they will lose most of their customers (with very few exceptions, most people I have talked to will only eat one meal in a specialty restaurant during an entire cruise, or none at all). However, RCI and other lines will continue to have specialty restaurants as long as a percentage of people are willing to pay the extra cost. Just keep in mind that the extra income that is generated by these specialty restaurants, tuxedo rentals, pictures, alcohol, casino, etc., is what keeps the cost of the cruise down for the rest of us. If RCI took away those things, the price of the cruise goes up. [Think of it this way -- a movie ticket at $10 - $15 seems very high. However, if they took away sales from the concession stand, the ticket prices would more than double.]

And in the "spirit" of formal night, I will continue to wear khakis and polo shirts. I doubt I'll emotionally scar the droves of tux- and dress-wearing children. Their parents, on the other hand...

You are not going to listen to anything anyone says (writes) anyway.

Archived