Seattle: Train-Stn to Cruise-Terminal ?

Sailor1959

Hello "Sleepless in Seattle" hi.gif

Looking into taking a last-minute cruise.

We're tinkering with the idea of taking a train from CA to Seattle.

Amtrak arrives at the Seattle King Street Station.

The cruise departs from the Bell Street Pier Cruise Terminal.

Google Maps says the two locales are 1.7 miles apart.

I don't think a cab would want to bother with such a short distance.

Gmap recommends(Walking & Bus):

Seattle King Street Station

Walk to S Jackson St & Occidental Ave S About 3 mins (0.2 mi)

99 Bus LOCAL towards Waterfront, Pioneer Square (10 stops)

Alaskan Way & Clay St

Port of Seattle 2711 Alaskan Way

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc.

would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Taxis are in business to take you where you want to go - even short distances. Just take a taxi and arrive relaxed.

Appreciate your response!

In actuality, taxis are supposed to take fares to their desired destinations.

In practice... many cabbies choose not to.

I had two occasions that demonstrate this attitude:

• While living in San Francisco, I walked to a supermarket and before I knew it, I purchased two large grocery bags full. I TRIED to flag a taxi but even tho several slowed down... once they saw me carrying groceries, they knew I didn't live far away... and zoomed off.

• Another time while staying at a hotel, I walked to the first cab in line outside the hotel and told him my destination. He refused to take me. I complained to the hotel and was told that the drivers wait their turn in line and don't want to take passengers to short-distance destinations. After dropping me off a few miles away, they would have to get back in line.

I can't speak to other cities but I have not run in to that problem here in Seattle. Both locations are downtown where other fares will be near by. It's been my experience that as long as they aren't stuck in an area where they can't get another fare they are pretty cool. Seattle is almost the perfect sized city when it comes to cabs. Big enough that there are plenty but small enough that you don't have people using them all the time for their main means of transportation like you would in other cities.

Many citiesa have rules that taxis aren't allowed to be choosy. They have to take anyone in their turn, however short the journey. You can always give an extra tip as long as the driver doesn't show any signs of sulking.

We're tinkering with the idea of taking a train from CA to Seattle.

Amtrak arrives at the Seattle King Street Station.

The cruise departs from the Bell Street Pier Cruise Terminal.

Doesn't the train from CA (the Coast Starlight) arrive in Seattle around 8:45 PM (that's in the EVENING)? What were you planning to do between then and the next morning? Just askin'. :-)

Doesn't the train from CA (the Coast Starlight) arrive in Seattle around 8:45 PM (that's in the EVENING)? What were you planning to do between then and the next morning? Just askin'. :-)

Thanks for your input.

However, this has been resolved.

I decided to fly to Seattle and take the Coast Starlight home AFTER the cruise.

Thanks folks.

This issued have been resolved and closed.

Thanks for your input.

However, this has been resolved.

I decided to fly to Seattle and take the Coast Starlight home AFTER the cruise.

Thanks folks.

This issued have been resolved and closed.

Are you doing a sleeper?

If so you'll love it. The parlor car and wi-fi make great perks.

Enjoy your trip.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I know the OPs question has been resolved, but I just saw this thread and the issue of short distances for taxis caught my attention.

I had this happen in Vancouver, a taxi driver being reluctant to take me from the hotel to the port, said that I could catch the subway just down the street. It turned out to be a difficult obstacle course, up and down stairs, going to another station, etc. In the future, I won't take a taxi driver's brush off despite his wanting a longer fare.

Are you doing a sleeper? If so you'll love it. The parlor car and wi-fi make great perks. Enjoy your trip.

YES.. it's an estimated 21-hour trip, so others implored to get a sleeper.

It was an expen$ive upgrade of $390 but... every once in awhile we have to enjoy life.

Last time I had a "sleeper" was back while in the service, circa 1959.

I imagine lots and lots of changes since back then.

Question:

• Am I expected to "tip" ?
  • Who and how much ?

I know the OPs question has been resolved, but I just saw this thread and the issue of short distances for taxis caught my attention...... I had this happen in Vancouver, a taxi driver being reluctant to take me from the hotel to the port, said that I could catch the subway just down the street. It turned out to be a difficult obstacle course, up and down stairs, going to another station, etc. In the future, I won't take a taxi driver's brush off despite his wanting a longer fare.

JamesSemaj:

AMEN !!!

Refer back to my post (#3)

YES.. it's an estimated 21-hour trip, so others implored to get a sleeper.

It was an expen$ive upgrade of $390 but... every once in awhile we have to enjoy life.

Last time I had a "sleeper" was back while in the service, circa 1959.

I imagine lots and lots of changes since back then.

Question:

• Am I expected to "tip" ?
  • Who and how much ?

Tipping is appreciated, but not (yet) expected. I usually put a little something in my "goodby" handshake if my car attendant has been helpful & available. I also tip $1-3 dollars at meals if they are served graciously. The staff are union & well paid, but the hours are long & some passengers are a pain. So I like to give a tangible thank you when I can.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Tipping is appreciated, but not (yet) expected. I usually put a little something in my "goodby" handshake if my car attendant has been helpful & available. I also tip $1-3 dollars at meals if they are served graciously. The staff are union & well paid, but the hours are long & some passengers are a pain. So I like to give a tangible thank you when I can.

Thanks Katree...

I'll do the same.

Archived