Enterprise - Sydney

Looking to rent a car in Sydney on July 26th from Enterprise. From what I've read on Cruise Critic, we would need to call Enterprise to arrange for a pick up. Are there pay phones where Carnvial docks that would be easy to locate? I tried to book with Budget and Discount and both are sold out for that day. If Enterprise doesn't work, are there any other car rental places near the Carnival dock that pickup?

Thanks in advance!

I just returned from the area, and found those below as my pre-trip research. I used Discount. I did not look, but have to believe a pay phone would be available in Sydney's pier complex (pretty nice, modern facility). If not, borrow a fellow pax's cell phone? A Canadian roaming call cost 70 cents per minute on my American Verizon cell phone.

GL

1. Discount, on 195 Prince St., Tel. 902-563-2806/2807; call them upon arrival, but only <1K from pier, one minute car ride

2. Budget, 224 Welton, 902-564-2610; no call needed, continuous running shuttle b/w pier and the lot (about 3 K).

3. Enterprise, 440 Grand Lake Rd., 902-539-6700; call upon arrival. 10 min. car ride to lot.

No one offers rental car delivery on pier and no booth or kiosk on pier.

The location of the p/u shuttle is near where the tour buses park.

Dan,

Thank you so much for the information. Hope you had a great time during your visit. We reserved Enterprise for the time being before they sell out. I guess if we can't find a phone we could take a taxi. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive for the distance.

I do not know if there is a pay phone but we Maritimers are helpful people. Someone will be able to make the call for you or lend you their cell phone. Just have the number handy.

Check this thread which says Enterprise had a shuttle at the pier to pick them up. That may be the case for you as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1863606

Nautica: if you get off the ship early enough and go to the tour bus/pick up area. I am certain you will see fellow pax waiting for Enterprise pick up van or the van's there waiting. BTW, I had a great trip, and am sure you'll enjoy your visit.

with re to taxi - there are plenty of them in every port we stopped at.

Nautica: if you get off the ship early enough and go to the tour bus/pick up area. I am certain you will see fellow pax waiting for Enterprise pick up van or the van's there waiting.

This was true for us also. Several people waiting for the shuttle. The driver said that the 2nd Enterprise shuttle was also on the way. It sounded like they keep coming back until everyone is transported.

Thank you! I was under the impression from what I read that Enterprise does not provide a shuttle bus but a pick up service where we'd have to call for pickup.

your impression is right, that was the instruction given to me as well, but you will not be the only pax booked with Enterprise which derives bulk of its business from cruisers. Most cruisers want their car as early as possible, and will return their cars roughly at the same time. We behave like a herd!;) This occurred on every one of the 3 ports I had a rental car.

Downloaded a nice port guide, plan on putting in the stops on GPS, and exploring. Want to see the miner museum for sure.

Googled Sydney NS port guide and it showed up.

Also got one for Halifax, renting car there too.:D

Makes you wonder :confused:

they know a cruise ship is docking

they know there are several people booking rentals ...

sending a shuttle to the port makes more sense than to have a dozen+ people calling them for pick up

Please let us know how it works out ..we are going in 2014

I wonder if you have a Enterpise account if it will speed up the process??

Lyn

Makes you wonder :confused:

they know a cruise ship is docking

they know there are several people booking rentals ...

sending a shuttle to the port makes more sense than to have a dozen+ people calling them for pick up

Please let us know how it works out ..we are going in 2014

I wonder if you have a Enterpise account if it will speed up the process??

Lynn, we filled out some stuff online, drivers license # etc. Which is supposed to save time. My advice would be to book your rental early. We waited and a few other companies we checked were sold out.

Lynn, we filled out some stuff online, drivers license # etc. Which is supposed to save time. My advice would be to book your rental early. We waited and a few other companies we checked were sold out.

When did you book?

I was going to wait for Sept for a May booking..maybe should do it now

Lyn

My experience with car rental agencies from disembarking to putting a key in the car range b/w 35 min. to 60+ min, with various factors - had to wait a bit on disembarkation from the ship in Sydney (on the relatively small Veendam), waiting behind several customers, then waiting for the last available car to be washed in Halifax. PEI was the smoothest - no wait to disembark, we're the first customers on the lot, and rental agency was close.

My advise is not to be too ambitious on your itinerary, don't count on a fast car pick up and drop off. On the other hand, I've not heard of a pax not getting a car he/she reserved, and the Discount agent in Sydney told me, they have never "lost" a cruise pax in X amount of years.

Bon Voyage

When did you book?

I was going to wait for Sept for a May booking..maybe should do it now

Lyn

We booked last week for July 26th. I wanted to book much earlier but the person I'm cruising with said there was no need to rush. He checked into rental a couple of weeks after out of curiousity and sold out. If you're not leaving to May, you should be fine waiting to September or early next year.

We booked last week for July 26th. I wanted to book much earlier but the person I'm cruising with said there was no need to rush. He checked into rental a couple of weeks after out of curiousity and sold out. If you're not leaving to May, you should be fine waiting to September or early next year.

Thanks for that

I usually book tour guides very early but was not sure about car rentals & DH is not sure if he wants to drive to Louisbourg or not

They say women cannot make up their minds:D

Louisburg is a very easy drive, and an historic site not to be missed. We plan to rent a vehicle and drive to the fort, and then visit a local lighthouse. My DSIL is buried in a local cemetary, so will also stop enroute to the fort to lay some flowers.

Marilyn

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 weeks later...

Is there specific locations (address) that I should be looking for to rent a car.

I have an account with AVIS, see that they have a location in Sydney but have no idea how it relates to where the cruise ship's dock. (126 Seaview Drive, North Sydney)

I here about Enterprise and another Discount, are they the closest to the port?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers

Len

Is there specific locations (address) that I should be looking for to rent a car.

I have an account with AVIS, see that they have a location in Sydney but have no idea how it relates to where the cruise ship's dock. (126 Seaview Drive, North Sydney)

I here about Enterprise and another Discount, are they the closest to the por

Check post #2 on this thread. closest is Discount - about 1 mile from the pier. North Sydney is outside of city of Sydney - not going to be very close.

Archived