Stay in Clearwater or Tampa??

island girl22

My husband & I & another couple will be flying into St. Petersburg/Clearwater (PIE) airport in April 2014. We will be there for 2 days prior to our Carnival Legend cruise. What is our best choice on a hotel? Should we stay in Clearwater for the 2 days & then take a shuttle to Tampa the morning of our cruise, or stay in Tampa from the get go? Any help would be appreciated.

and by Clearwater I really mean anyplace beachside from St Pete and the Don Cesar north thru Clearwater Beach ... north of here picken's get slim as the beach front is less developed.

I'm partial to the Maderia Beach and John's Pass areas myself

If going in April make your reservations WELL in advance as this is prime snowbird country.

Edited by Capt_BJ

There are lots of good hotels on the Suncoast that offer different types of accomodations. We enjoy staying at the Alden Beach resort as all of their rooms are suites which include a separate kitchen-dining and living room area, plus a balcony or patio. Having the kitchen makes it nice to save a few $$ on breakfast and sometimes a quick lunch. It is a family owned hotel that is spotless-clean with good Mgt and customer service. If you have a rental car, there is secure garage parking that can only be accessed with your room card. There are plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance as well. In addition, the rates for the suites are the same as a regular hotel room in the same area. http://www.aldenbeachresort.com/

If it's in your budget, The Don Cesar is a 4 star hotel and very nice.

https://www.loewshotels.com/Don-CeSar-Hotel

If you want a Mom & Pop type place on a section of beach that is less crowded, take a look at the Keystone on Pass-a-Grille Beach. This is at the end-tip of St.Pete Beach. http://www.keystonemotel.com/

:) :)

Whatever hotel you decide on, wishing you great weather and a great time. :)

**** Do book early as you are going at a popular time of year ****

and by Clearwater I really mean anyplace beachside from St Pete and the Don Cesar north thru Clearwater Beach ... north of here picken's get slim as the beach front is less developed.

If going in April make your reservations WELL in advance as this is prime snowbird country.

Ditto this.

I personally love the location of the BilMar.

Just my two cents worth, but if you decide to stay in Tampa, close to the port, we loved the Marriott Waterside. It had great rooms and the pool is right on the river with lovely views. The trolley stop is right in front of the hotel and going over to Ybor City for dinner at the Columbia restaurant was quite fun. Just another perspective. Have a great cruise.

That being said the Post Card Inn and Tradewinds are nice beachfront hotels in St. Pete Beach (north of the Don Cesar).

Hello!

If you decide on the Clearwater Beach area and are going to splurge, I would look at the Sand Pearl resort. Another option, possibly a little cheaper than the Sand Pearl, is the Sheraton Sand Key. Sand Key is really nice because it's around the corner from Clearwater Beach, has its own beach, and will probably be less crowded.

I live locally here near Clearwater, so let me know if you have questions about the area. I drive by the St. Pete/Clearwater airport every day on my way to/from work!

Thanks,

Holly

I second the Don Cesar or the Sandpearl. I am from Clearwater. Getting married at the Don Cesar later this year. We checked out nearly every hotel up and down Pinellas county. The Don Cesar and Sandpearl are by far the nicest :)

Don Cesar is the grand historic hotel. Whereas the Sandpearl is more modern FL elegance if that makes sense? Both are nice, just different styles :)

The captain is right, anywhere in yheMaderia-Redington Shores-Indian Rocks area is perfect. Not a lot of typical beach riff-raff. Plenty to do at John's Pass and several places to eat along Gulf Blvd.

• 2 months later...

I would recommend staying in Clearwater Beach. We like Barefoot Bay Resort & Marina because it is small and quaint (probably not for everyone, but we do not like large hotels) but next time we stay there, we will look at staying at Frenchy's Oasis Motel.

We love the Frenchy's Restaurants, there are 4 within walking distance, there is a nice marina and a long pier with nightly entertainment, and the beach is amazing! You can walk to everything, which is what we like.

Capt BJ - headed down to Siesta Key in a few weeks here--never been but hear the area is beautiful. Are you familiar with it?

Have not spent a lot of time there - but the beaches ARE first rate, good shelling if you are into that. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Can't recommend any eating places tho - just made a few day and passing thru trips. Head up to Sarasota one day - there is a branch of Columbia rest' there.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/sarasota.asp

see also

http://www.ringling.org/ art mus'm AND circus mus'm

Edited by Capt_BJ