What can my teens expect on RCI?

rm1247

We are cruising this September on Brilliance of the Seas. It will be our third cruise on RCI, but the first time using the teen programs. We'll have 2 teens along, ages 13 and 15. Because of the timing of the cruise, I don't expect many other teens to be on board.

When they were younger, they loved AO. How does the teen program compare? I read somewhere that the teen activities are only in the evening. Is that true? Are there any daytime options?

My dd usually shows up on the first night to make some friends to pal around with the rest of the cruise. Neither she nor her brother tend to follow the teen group activities. From what I've seen on the daily sheets, the activities might start in the late afternoon and go to late night. The activities are dependent on kids showing up though. If not enough kids show up, the activity won't be held.

Even if there aren't planned activities, is the teen room open during the day? We were on NCL when my oldest was 14. He rarely used the teen program, but I thought the room was open during the day (it had xbox, air hockey, etc.) even when there weren't planned activities. I think they might use it more this time since they will both be in it.

That's another question. If just the room is open, is it for both groups? I know their ages will put them in different groups, but since I don't expect many teens on the cruise I'm guessing they'll be combined most of the time??

I used it over ten years ago as a kid, from my current research/things I have seen: they have a tv, Internet and video game area in the teen area. Some even have their own "bar" for smoothies and sodas. I have never been on the Brilliance so not sure exactly what they have there. Activities vary by ship but they have dances, scavenger hunts, movies and other activities. Check the member cruise reviews and you might find some more detailed info from someone who sailed with teens, mine were babies so I only saw some of these things.

My kids have been enjoying RCI's programs since they were very little, and we've now experienced all the age groups, lol. The teen group is just as fun according to them, and I had to enforce a family curfew with my middle DD, otherwise she'd stay out until the teen curfew at 2:00 am :eek: I agree with the previous poster who said to be sure to go the first night...they do lots of icebreaker activities. Most of the activities are at night, probably because during the day they'd rather be at the pool, or on an excursion on port days. The area called The Living Room was open but not necessarily supervised I think, not totally sure about that though, my DD would go there to play Wii games with friends, I think there may be a counsellor there, but it's just open play if I remember right.

I'm sure your teens will have a good time...my oldest has now "aged out" of the program, and she was disappointed she couldn't join in on the fun anymore.

My DD 13 had a great time at the Teen club on RCI (Legend). There was a meet-up on the first night, where she made tons of friends. There were some organized activities, but mostly she said they just hung out. One thing we were not ready for is how late she stayed up each night -- although she always came back to the cabin before the 1 am curfew, it was much later than we would have allowed her to stay out at home. However, we always knew where she was and anytime we managed to go by the teen club area we would hear or see her (we did not want her to see us).

There were some activities in which awards were given (little medallions) for fooze ball, treasure hunt, etc. - but my DD only "competed" in a few activities when her group of friends had agreed to it as a whole.

It has only been a week, but she is still virtually talking/texting with these other kids who live in different parts of the world.

Being a European cruise, we were afraid that there would not be many kids, or she would have difficulties with the language barrier, but most of the kids she became friendly with spoke English as a primary language.

DS did the teen program at age 15 and 17. he loved it. they do have some scheduled activities in the afternoon but even though there is no scheduled activities the kids like to just go there and hang out, during the day the will have a time to take over the ice rink, rock wall, basketball court, they do scavenger hunts. every night they have a dance, it usually has a theme. there is a pajama dance so you will want to make sure they have something appropriete to wear, sometimes they have a black light party so yu will need something white, and on the last day they have a prom so make sure to bring something nice to wear ( its not formal like a real prom but the girl seem to dress up some) DS was prom king on the last cruise haha

DD was 16YO when we cruised on Brillance last August in Baltic. She stopped by the first night meet-and-mingle kind of party and there were only about three other kids there. There were other teens on board and she spent some time with a group from Portugal playing board games and stuff but outside of the teen program. I have found that she really hasn't been into the organized activities as a teen.

Archived