Question about Star and open decks

shootingstar07

Hello all,

I wanted to find out from anyone who has sailed on the Star if the Lido Deck forward has the open deck above the bridge like is on the Caribbean Princess. I loved that location because you didn't have the high plexiglass to distort photos. I am leaving for Alaska and figure that would be a great viewing area going into Glacier Bay.

However, I do not see any doors, so am concerned it isn't there. If that is the case, does anyone have any recommendations for a great place to "hang" when we are going into Glacier?

Thanks for you help.

Kathleen

It would be a great way to view a glacier. The gate to access that area on the Star was locked on that morning, so we could not view from there. Do not know if that was a weather-related situation (was foggy that morning) or why it was closed. We got great views from the rail. The Captain turned the ship so that both sides could see the glacier.

Here's a photo I took from wing of the open deck above the bridge on the Star Princess. It also shows the outside walkway that leads to it. Just go forward on Deck 15 (one deck up from the pool), along the outside of the spa and gym and you'll get to this area:

3232982732_725b47c5d8_z.jpg?zz=1

Star Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

Here are a few more shots taken in Tracy Arm:

2513051766_f913c1866f_z.jpg?zz=1

Tracy Arm, Alaska by Jasperdo, on Flickr

2513053254_68dedcd4a9_z.jpg?zz=1

2513053308_7502c09c15_z.jpg?zz=1

It would be a great way to view a glacier. The gate to access that area on the Star was locked on that morning, so we could not view from there. Do not know if that was a weather-related situation (was foggy that morning) or why it was closed. We got great views from the rail. The Captain turned the ship so that both sides could see the glacier.
I've had that happen to me on a Hawaii cruise on the Golden Princess. The over the bridge viewing area was closed all 14 days, even in port. I was very disappointed. Luckily though, it's been open on both of my Alaska cruises.

Another good vantage point is Deck 15 above the lido deck with the half-railings and further back near the funnel with more half-railings. We watched all of glacier bay from up there. Most people are under the overhangs on 6 and 7 or on their balconies, so there is plenty of free space up top on the star. And its super convenient if you need a drink or slice of pizza to warm you up as you just walk down to the open pool area.

Best thing about the Star was the movie under the stars in the open pool area on the Lido deck. Despite the cold we were out there bundled in blankets on at least 4 occasions.

Archived