Need some info from my New Orleans friends,

Planning on coming down on Sept. 16th, riding the train and would like some info on hotels close to the port. Thanks in advance.

I'm not from NOLA nor do I live there, but the Embassy Suites, Harrah's, Hilton New Orleans Riverside, New Orleans Downtown Marriott, Wyndham New Orleans Riverfront, Courtyard Convention Center.

Try those

We stayed at the Drury Inn, it is very beautiful inside. It was very close to the train station. Still took a taxi, but if you are adventurous you can walk it. Loved the 3 free drinks and all the food they have in the evening. Price was great too!

Here is another vote for The Drury. We stayed there in January and have booked it again for this coming October. A short walk to the French Quarter and you can't beat the free drinks and food, along with free WiFi.

I've never stayed at the Drury in NOLA, but is it close to the port That is what the OP asked for. I made the assumption that they wanted hotels close to the port because they were going to walk to it from their hotel vs catching a cab.

But I'm not the OP and have no clue why they wanted to be near the port. But if the Drury's proximity to the point isn't a factor for you, I would recommend the hotel based on my stays at properties in other states.

I also like the Astor Crowne Plaza; you walk out of the doors in you're right in the middle of the action on Bourbon street. You can also walk to the port from there; a longer walk than the other hotels I mentioned, but it is doable.

Additionally, you may want to ask this question in the Ports of Call section.

We also liked the Drury Inn but love more being closer to the French Quarter. We've taken the train before, taxi's right there when you get off.

It's about $7 per person to get from any hotel in the French Quarter or Drury Inn (which is in walking distance of the quarter)

Have fun!

go to hotwire. and choose downtown or warehouse area hotel. We got a nice hotel across from the port with warehouse district and it had a free shuttle to the port. It might be hilton, but I get them mixed up.

We got the room at the Westin off of Hotwire for a ridiculous price .... I think I had picked the French Quarter area, though.

I have stayed at both Embassy and Drury. We prefer Embassy . All u can drink from 5-7. Drury is 3 only and no way even if u pay for anymore. Also the free food at happy hour is pretty bad. Not sure but i think my son got sick from it for the first couple days of the cruise.

I'm not from NOLA nor do I live there' date=' but the Embassy Suites, Harrah's, Hilton New Orleans Riverside, New Orleans Downtown Marriott, Wyndham New Orleans Riverfront, Courtyard Convention Center.

Try those[/quote']

These are the best options for being close to both the port and close to the French Quarter. There are other options smack "in" the French Quarter but then you are farther away from the port. There are a few more options closer to the port, but then you are farther away from the French Quarter. Don't get me wrong, the cruise terminal and French Quarter are very close to each other but depending on the exact location of your hotel, that can make the difference on if you can (or should) walk to your hotel late at night or try to walk with all of your luggage to the terminal. Also, for me personally, I would not try to walk to the cruise terminal if I were not very, very close to it. For example, I would want to be at a hotel on Convention Center Blvd., like the Hyatt Convention Center or Marriott at Convention Center, in order to attempt to walk to the terminal. It is not as easy as it may appear on Google maps to pull your suitcase through the streets. There is a railroad track with rocks, uneven sidewalks and there is a fence in front of the terminal. There may still be an opening (large gate) down one of the streets leading to the terminal for walkers but I am not sure.

I have stayed at the Drury and it is a nice hotel but not the most ideal location. I personally think the food is awful and made me sick so I don't consider that a benefit of staying there. It is the absolute lowest quality food money can buy and the oddest combination (hotdogs without chili, baked potatoes, nachos and cheese sauce. Breakfast isn't as bad but avoid the greasy sausage and thick, white gravy for biscuits)

just checked rates at the Drury and got this message regarding construction at the hotel ---- in case in make a difference to anyone

Update - We're pleased to let you know the Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans is in the process of adding a new addition to the hotel. All work takes place between 8:00 am & 6:00 pm and is estimated to be completed in early Fall 2013. All cars will be valet parked off-site at $25 + tax, per night. Self parking is not available at this hotel. In/out privileges are available at no additional charge. Please note, no work is currently being completed inside the hotel in the lobby or guest rooms.

Becky

Archived