Spirit - how should we split up our money?

My family is travelling on Carnival Spirit at the end of this month for 9 nights. I'm wondering how we should split up our money - how much pacific french francs do we need, how much Australian dollars, do we need US $? Will the majority of our spending money be going on our Sail & Sign card? And what do we use our S&S card for apart from drinks onboard?

My family is travelling on Carnival Spirit at the end of this month for 9 nights. I'm wondering how we should split up our money - how much pacific french francs do we need, how much Australian dollars, do we need US $? Will the majority of our spending money be going on our Sail & Sign card? And what do we use our S&S card for apart from drinks onboard?

You didn't mention what ports you are going to. With a short cruise of 9 nights it is presumably going to Noumea, maybe Isle of Pines, Mystery Island etc. I would not bother getting French Pacific Francs unless you want to catch a taxi or public bus or go to the Aquarium, Gardens or Museum in Noumea. Otherwise you can get around OK with AUD. In the other ports ships usually go to AUD is good.

On board the ship you might like to buy a souvenir or go to a speciality restaurant in addition to buying some drinks.

We have sailed a to the South Pacific Islands several times and have never had to use anything but Australian dollars, your cruise card is used for everything on board including any tours. While on the Islands we found they were very happy to accept Australian Dollars, changing money can be quite expensive. Carnival uses Australian Dollars.

We just got back from 11 day on Carnival Spirit to S Pacific. Just took AUD$ as all islands took that, I had some US$ left over from a trip but that was not accepted. You can charge everything to Sail Account, tours, drinks, gift shop, duty free etc. on board. I took AUD$800 in cash and brought back $600-, not much to spend on the Islands .

Some might be offended by what I am about to say but here goes.

Please show the local culture some respect and use local currency. If you decide to use AUD then expect to pay 20%-50% more than you would have using local currency.

If using AUD expect to receive local currency as change or for prices to be rounded to the nearest $5 as coins are not popular.

When an American asks if they can use USD in Australia, there are comments of disbelief at the arrogance of the question, the same applies to Aussies expecting to use AUD in the Pacific.

If you use AUD the locals then have to exchange it for local currency, the will charge you a worse "exchange" rate than you will get here or on the ship.

If you buy on the ship, then you can usually sell the excess back at about the same as you paid.

Please show our pacific neighbors some respect and use their local currency, you will get much better prices and deals.

Please show the local culture some respect and use local currency. If you decide to use AUD then expect to pay 20%-50% more than you would have using local currency.

If using AUD expect to receive local currency as change or for prices to be rounded to the nearest $5 as coins are not popular.

When an American asks if they can use USD in Australia, there are comments of disbelief at the arrogance of the question, the same applies to Aussies expecting to use AUD in the Pacific.

If you use AUD the locals then have to exchange it for local currency, the will charge you a worse "exchange" rate than you will get here or on the ship.

If you buy on the ship, then you can usually sell the excess back at about the same as you paid.

Please show our pacific neighbors some respect and use their local currency, you will get much better prices and deals.

I understand the point you are making, but at market stalls in several ports (Noumea, Lifou, Vila, Mystery Island) everything is priced in AUD. There have been occasions when we have asked the price in francs in Noumea when they have given us a price in AUD, and it has worked out a fair bit cheaper for us to pay in AUD. The problem with changing money for a cruise is that it is difficult to know how much you will need in each currency, or if you will need any at all.

I have only seen money exchange at some ports (not all and never in Vanuatu) and then there is usually a long long to exchange currency. P&O used to exchange AUD to Pacific francs (do they still do it?), but I don't think Princess do this. I haven't seen either change AUD to NZ$.

You may only need some Francs in Noumea. Go to the money changer counter next to the post office counter in the cruise terminal and change some there.

Some people in Noumea find it very arrogant of tourists to try and buy with AU Dollars.

If you want to buy a drink from the resort on Isle of Pines you will need Francs or a credit card, thats if they serve you at all lol

The small shop on the way to the airstrip on Isle of Pines also only accepted Franks.

Although I do appreciate what you are saying GDHpeter about respecting the locals by giving them local currency but we are talking about islanders that have already factored into any sale their exchange loss in favour of that fleeting sale they would otherwise not get if the cruisers didnt visit or visited without local currency.

In many smaller or less stable economies the locals prefer US$ and AU$

even in "Countries" like Vietnam and Cambodia they favour the dollar over local currency every time:)

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll get a small amount of francs - if nothing else, my kids will find the different currency all very interesting :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived