lowest deck...oh no! Is this bad?

kthill

We just got our cruise docs which we booked in Jan. I know we booked our specific outside cabin then but I sure don't remember it being on the lowest deck. Is this a bad thing? (We really don't have the money to pay for a better cabin at this point with one of our DS going to college in Aug.) I am claustrophobic hence the outside cabin. Any thoughts regarding the lowest deck?

We just got our cruise docs which we booked in Jan. I know we booked our specific outside cabin then but I sure don't remember it being on the lowest deck. Is this a bad thing? (We really don't have the money to pay for a better cabin at this point with one of our DS going to college in Aug.) I am claustrophobic hence the outside cabin. Any thoughts regarding the lowest deck?

Rivera deck is not that bad. You will feel less motion on the lower deck, mid-ship. You are closer to the gangway when stopping at ports. There are crew decks below you, so you arent at the absolute bottom of the ship.

I know after Titanic came out everyone keep thinking the bottom decks are steerage :) Its not that bad at all. You are a short elevator ride from any deck on the ship. Or you can just take the stairs and work off some of the food you are bound to enjoy.

Which ship are you on?

Rivera deck is not that bad. You will feel less motion on the lower deck, mid-ship. You are closer to the gangway when stopping at ports. There are crew decks below you, so you arent at the absolute bottom of the ship.

I know after Titanic came out everyone keep thinking the bottom decks are steerage :) Its not that bad at all. You are a short elevator ride from any deck on the ship. Or you can just take the stairs and work off some of the food you are bound to enjoy.

Perfect answer. Don't worry, it's just a deck. I honestly can't understand why people pay more for higher decks, except for spending for a balcony.

We will be on the Sensation on July 25. We cruised last summer with our sons and then many times years ago before we had kids. Not sure why this is bothering me, we've never had a balcony before but then again were never this low. The extra stairs will be good for us since we have a hard time fitting any exercise into all the other activities. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Nothing to worry about! When you are on the ship you won't even think about the fact that your stateroom is on the lowest deck. One of the good things about being on the lowest deck is that when you call an elevator, it usually arrives empty (or empties when it gets there).

I'm sitting in my office working (well, sorta...) and sure wish I was in a stateroom on the lowest deck...

I don't mind being on the lowest level at all. Once I got upgraded to a high deck. I was delighted - until I was actually on the boat and got terribly seasick from all the motion I felt. I have never had a problem on lower decks.

On our Fascination cruise, being on the Main Deck ( just above Rivera ) and was worried about being on the lower deck. It didnt bother us at all! Also, to add to piece of mind, decks are Labelled with their "Carnival " names , but Rivera is not deck one, it is 4, so on the elevator, you push "4". That kind of made us feel better as it helps not to feel as though you are on the bottom of the ship lol :)

dave

but Rivera is not deck one, it is 4, so on the elevator, you push "4". That kind of made us feel better as it helps not to feel as though you are on the bottom of the ship

Much of the crew/supplies are on decks below Riviera

My 15 y/o said it was going to be like the "ghetto" (that's teens talking). It was absolutely fine no problems , less motion, and you arent exactly on the bottom as mentioned. I'd take that "ghetto" any day.:p

We were on the Rivera deck outside cabin, on the Fantasy in May and loved it. Very quite and felt no movement of the ship. We are planning to book a trip for next year and will probably try to get a cabin in the same area of the ship.

My DW and DD are prone to getting sea sick so usually the Rivera deck worked for us. Was also liked how we could look out just above water level.

Our next cruise will be in a balcony room. We are sooo excited.

You will love the Rivera as we have!

My first cruise, I had an inside cabin on the Riviera and had a blast...but I did determine that an oceanview was important to me -- needed some sort of natural light, even though you can't open the 'window'. I like to see the weather outside and know when it's light/dark out.

The second cruise was a balcony on the Verandah -- absolutely loved it, but we'd rather spend the extra $460 on shore excursions.

We are now booked on the 07/31/05 sailing of the Valor - Riviera Deck, Oceanview. We'll have some $$ available for shore excursions and extra spending money without overextending ourselves.

You'll enjoy yourself! And the crew will go before you do (their quarters are below the Riviera).....;)

I don't care where the rooms is as long as it has a window. I get motion sickness but, am ok as long as I can look out. When it just DH and I we get a balcony, as we spend a LOT more time in the room and on the balocny.

I really prefer the lower decks although I have h ad several nice balcony rooms..but I still prefer them on lower decks as they are both smoother and quieter. On Carnival, all the rooms except the suites are the same so you are just as well off !!

We booked a GTY for our last cruise last month on the Victory. I was so disapointed as we were assigned an OV room on the Riviera Deck and I had never stayed this low in five cruises. Much to my suprise, it ended up being very quiet, very comforatable, little motion and only one deck down from our dining room. It was also a bigger room because it includes the balcony space provided on higher decks. We ended up being quite pleased and I would gladly stay there again.

Have a great cruise!

They say the lower the deck is the less motion you feel...I think that it is true! Last year on The Elation we were on the Riviera deck and on the way back it got alittle choppy. You could feel it on the higher decks but just alittle in the room!

Have a great cruise!

I travel with myself, my dd 17 & ds 11 and usually another teen we bring along. (5th cruise this August) We have always had empress or below until April. We got the free upgrade deal when we booked the spirit. I was so excited to be on the panorama deck.

NEVER AGAIN! It was so noisy and rocky and just awful. The room steward said "it's the ship there's nothing we can do about it". The ship was full or I would have asked to be moved DOWN!

Enjoy the quiet, no movement area and your right there to get off for excursions!

Happy Cruising,

Donna

Hubby and I had an OV on the Riviera deck on the Fantasy the first time around, and an inside room on the Riviera Deck on the Miracle this last time! I don't plan on booking on any other deck unless I win the lottery and feel like flinging money away for a balcony.

Less noise, less motion, convenient to everything! Love it!

Stef

We had a 6A oceanview cabin on the Riviera Deck of the Conquest last June, 2004.....it was wonderful. Loved looking out the huge window over the vast Gulf waters and watching the river pilot and port pilots embarking and disembarking from their boats. We loved it! Never bothered us taking the elevator an extra floor or two. Really didn't have to wait long for an elevator either. It was so quiet....

We cruised on Sensation in January 2005; our first cruise. We were upgraded to Empress deck oceanview midship. I have never gotten seasick before, but I was sick that whole cruise. We are wanting to take another cruise and are booked main deck near back of Elation ship. I hope I don't experience any sea sickness and I hope our lower deck has less movement. Good luck.

Archived