lowest deck...oh no! Is this bad?

kthill

We will be on the Sensation on July 25. We cruised last summer with our sons and then many times years ago before we had kids. Not sure why this is bothering me, we've never had a balcony before but then again were never this low. The extra stairs will be good for us since we have a hard time fitting any exercise into all the other activities. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Forgive me if I've misunderstood you here...

In your original post you said you booked an outside cabin. In this post you're talking about a balcony cabin. There are plenty of cabins with (unopenable) windows or portholes, but no balcony cabins are on Riviera deck.

Can you please clarify if you booked an outside or a balcony? Thanks!

And you'll have a super time! No worries if your cabin is on the Riviera deck - I've liked it down there. Nice and quiet and closer to the gangway too!

Cathy

We were on the budget plan in an inside cabin on the Riviera deck (with our teenage boys in a room next door). The cabin was fine - I didn't even miss a window as we were hardly there except to sleep. And it is nice and quiet and as convenient as any other room. Enjoy your trip!!

We just got our cruise docs which we booked in Jan. I know we booked our specific outside cabin then but I sure don't remember it being on the lowest deck. Is this a bad thing? (We really don't have the money to pay for a better cabin at this point with one of our DS going to college in Aug.) I am claustrophobic hence the outside cabin. Any thoughts regarding the lowest deck?

Hey fellow cruiser! We are booked on the Sensation for July 25 as well. We are having a friends and family cruise with about 20 people total. All of us are booked on the Riviera deck, so we will see y'all there! Less than 3 weeks to go! Wooo hoooo!!!!!!:D

On my first cruise I was on deck 8 of NCL's Majesty. We always took the stairs, wanting to work off a little of those extra calories. I found this location perfect, we seemed to be no more than 2 decks from anything we wanted to spend time doing.

On Carnival next year, we'll be on Riveria and I'm fine with it. I don't know the Imagination's layout, and how many floors away from my favorite things I'll be, but the stairs don't scare me;) . I welcome the work out actually.

Sort of OT: On my way up to my cabin on Majesty, I heard a guy groan "uh, how many more flights?" His partner responded, "oh hush, you have to climb to get to the 'better rooms' ". I know the 145 square foot room I stayed in, I could've stayed in 2 or more floors lower and have saved a few bucks. (It was slim pickings when I booked) I have NO idea how the room on floor 8 is any better --at all-- then the one on floor 6:confused: ? People have strange ideas.

It is the lower floors that sell out first, so it does seem they are more sort after. (just speaking of reg. inside or outsides) As this tread says over and over, all you seem to be paying more for it more motion and/or noise.

Jules

You will love it! We had a midship OV room on the Glory in March on the Riviera deck and it was terrific! It was quiet, calm, roomy (there were 4 of us) and convenient. I don't think I would want to try an upper deck after everything I've read about noise. Have a great time!:)

Hey fellow cruiser! We are booked on the Sensation for July 25 as well. We are having a friends and family cruise with about 20 people total. All of us are booked on the Riviera deck, so we will see y'all there! Less than 3 weeks to go! Wooo hoooo!!!!!!:D

We are very excited and glad to hear someone else is on the same cruise! (like we would actually be the only ones :D )

Any teens in your group? Our 2 DS will be with us. Wish we could get our family (extended family) to go too, that would be so much fun! Bet you will have a great time.

I must be a "bottom-feeder". I love the Riviera deck. Always quiet, little movement, and elevators always empty.

On the LEGEND out of NYC I was upgraded from an inside to a 6A oceanview (Riviera deck). Cruising south with a large western swell, the ship's huge bow waves combined with the large western swells to generate an occasional monster wave slapping against the window. The first time this occurred I had my back turned and with the loud resulting "thud", thought the tv had fallen off its perch ! Sitting quietly on the bed for a few minutes it happened again just as I was staring out the window watching the churning seas. ;)

EXHILARATING, to say the least ! Without a doubt my favorite cabin on the LEGEND, #1265. :)

We are very excited and glad to hear someone else is on the same cruise! (like we would actually be the only ones :D )

Any teens in your group? Our 2 DS will be with us. Wish we could get our family (extended family) to go too, that would be so much fun! Bet you will have a great time.

We have a total of 6 kids going - - 4 girls (8, 10, 12 & 12) and 2 boys (10 & 12). My nephew is also going and he's 19. There are a total of 4 families. I know it will be fun! We just heard from our travel agent that our docs are ready for pick up!

When are y'all driving to N.O.? We are leaving early the morning of the 25th from Memphis and hope to be in N.O. by noon.

I like the Riviera deck. We choose to save the extra $$$ and just get o/v, and for that Riviera deck is my first choice. Like others have stated you feel less motion. Plus I like that you can see the water really well...we saw dolphins!

Jen

We have a total of 6 kids going - - 4 girls (8, 10, 12 & 12) and 2 boys (10 & 12). My nephew is also going and he's 19. There are a total of 4 families. I know it will be fun! We just heard from our travel agent that our docs are ready for pick up!

When are y'all driving to N.O.? We are leaving early the morning of the 25th from Memphis and hope to be in N.O. by noon.

We are leaving Fayetteville the 23rd, spend the night half way and then one night in NO. We did this last year and really enjoyed the night in NO; had a great dinner and went on a ghost tour. Our sons are 15 and 19 really liked it.

We just got our cruise docs which we booked in Jan. I know we booked our specific outside cabin then but I sure don't remember it being on the lowest deck. Is this a bad thing? (We really don't have the money to pay for a better cabin at this point with one of our DS going to college in Aug.) I am claustrophobic hence the outside cabin. Any thoughts regarding the lowest deck?

I prefer the lowest deck as long as it is in the middle of the ship.

EXHILARATING, to say the least ! Without a doubt my favorite cabin on the LEGEND, #1265. :)

I'm glad you liked it, because I'm in the same cabin on the Legend's sister ship, Miracle.

How was that cabin noise wise? I'm in the same cabin on the Legend's sister ship, Miracle, and I'm wondering if the nearby disco or galley will be loud.

I'm glad you liked it, because I'm in the same cabin on the Legend's sister ship, Miracle.

How was that cabin noise wise? I'm in the same cabin on the Legend's sister ship, Miracle, and I'm wondering if the nearby disco or galley will be loud.

Jim,

To give you some idea of how naive I am, I wasn't even aware that the disco and galley were close by. :)

I didn't hear any noises what-so-ever and also didn't notice any unusual traffic in the area.

In all fairness, however, I should also note that I sleep like a baby (when I was a kid, had two trains collide about a block from me - didn't hear a thing). :confused:

We are leaving Fayetteville the 23rd, spend the night half way and then one night in NO. We did this last year and really enjoyed the night in NO; had a great dinner and went on a ghost tour. Our sons are 15 and 19 really liked it.

We will see you on the cruise! 18 days and counting. By the way... I'm Debbie... in case you haven't figured that one out yet! :D

Jim,

To give you some idea of how naive I am, I wasn't even aware that the disco and galley were close by. :)

I'll take that as a very good sign then. Thanks. It sounds like it will be a good room for us. We were upgraded to that location from an inside IS guarantee also.

1265 is the very last room on the hall on the starboard side. Immediately astern of that is the galley according to the deck plan I saw, so one wall of the cabin is ajacent to the galley. Directly opposite 1265 on the port side is the lower level of the disco: Medusa's Lair in the case of the Legend, Frankenstein's Lab on the Miracle.

From what I've been told there is no entrance or exit into the disco from the Riviera deck, you have to enter on the Pomenade deck and then go down a stairs. So that presumably keeps the noise down. And I've heard the sound insulation on the newer ships is very good too. I'm a sound sleeper also, particularly after I've had a few drinks. My wife is less sound a sleeper, so she'll have to be the test to find out if it is noisy or not.

I'm curious. Is there a story behind this: "PACQUET LINES (French ship disaster) LA to Vancouver"

Archived