Has anyone ever slept on the Balcony at night?

I can see taking a nap on the deck during the day but at night would never let My child sleep on the deck. It is very dark out there as one member pointed out and also what if a "Rogue Wave" hit like on the Norweigan Dawn back in April. You could be swept overboard. Many strange things have happened on Cruise Ships. Why take a Chance!

Agree with you and MrsPete!

And I really don't want to hear about anyone taking the mattress out to the balcany :eek: Sheesh for the love of Phil, I'd like to think that our mattress is free from all the garbage/dirt that one finds on the balcany.

I thought I heard it all when our fellow passengers suggested (and took) "a blow-up" pool, sorry folks this is just WAY over the top IMPO!

###

Wow... I didn't think about a rouge wave. I guess we could let him go out there until he's asleep, then quietly carry him back into his bed in the room.

Thanks again for the input!

We had cabin 1394 on the Explorer 2 years ago and my son asked the cabin attendant for a cot and he slept out there every night. Ofcourse we were on deck ten and he was fully covered every night. The roof was always over him. He loved it and the cabin attendant made up his bed out there every night.

A rogue wave washing sleeping on the balcony someone out to sea? Gimme a break!

If that were at all probably, or likely, or had ever happened in the history of cruising, then they would not be able to offer balconies at all.

Numerous people have posted that they napped out there during the day, and no one was worried that they, in their unconscious state, would be washed overboard. Why? Because it's never happened, I would venture to guess.

If it is truly stormy, and the sea is pitching and they lock the doors to the outside decks, then I would worry about a 'rogue wave' and avoid sleeping on the balcony. Otherwise, good grief, why leave the house if one is so afraid of freak occurrences?

(PS I was also an advocate for bringing a tiny inflatable kiddie pool, which was for those who have a toddler who isn't used to showering (to use as a bath) and also for those too small and not potty trained, to splash around in on a balcony or in the showerstall. Do I bring one? No, but others might find it useful. I fail to see how bringing a small inflatable thing (which presumably you throw out before departure) is more annoying than those carting cases of water, blenders, and so on.)

Guest OBAYbee
A rogue wave washing sleeping on the balcony someone out to sea? Gimme a break!

If that were at all probably, or likely, or had ever happened in the history of cruising, then they would not be able to offer balconies at all.

Numerous people have posted that they napped out there during the day, and no one was worried that they, in their unconscious state, would be washed overboard. Why? Because it's never happened, I would venture to guess.

If it is truly stormy, and the sea is pitching and they lock the doors to the outside decks, then I would worry about a 'rogue wave' and avoid sleeping on the balcony. Otherwise, good grief, why leave the house if one is so afraid of freak occurrences?

QUOTE]

Frankly, as a mom myself I would be concerned leaving my child out on the balcony overnight. Not because of a wave but because kids will be kids.

Lean over the rail too far while horsing around, or have what happened to me once while on the balcony. Someone's cigarette blew on to our balcony and before I knew it I had a ruined blouse and a burn.

If you have been following the Natalee Holloway case you must know that kids will do the darndest things no matter their age.

Adults want to sleep on it, go for it. Kids on the other hand I would frown on.

My dd (14yr old) last year slept on the balcony on the Galaxy. She did grumble a bit about the humidity. However on the second night she wanted to do it, my radar came up. I check on her when there was a LOT of noise from the balcony above. To my amazment, food was being sent down from the deck above and the there were 4 plates of food. hummmm..... I think my dd is a boy magnet or perhaps a food magnet.... :rolleyes: I had to call a halt to it. Nothing really bad about all of this, but it was really funny that she was planning a long night of fun and eating....

Our balcony was below a deck, so it was kind of a public wallking area. Just right for a bunch of teenagers.... :D

Forget about rogue waves, what if a great white were to mistake a kid for a baby seal and leap out of the water and snatch the kid from the balcony. Especially if the kid is in a blow up pool splashing around. That tends to look like an injured seal from the water. :)

... thinking more about the rouge wave scenario.

Isn't the probability of having some type of airplane "incident" on our way from CA to FL for the cruise higher than being swept away by a rouge wave from the balcony?!? People fly to cruise ports probably every day of the year.

The great white scenario is too funny...

My 10 year old son thinks he wants to sleep on the balcony during our next cruise (with blankets, of course). Has anyone ever done that?

I just read on another post that balcony doors of an Aft cabin will keep opening and closing in the middle of the night. The stateroom we're considering is an Aft Junior Suite. If we have to keep the doors shut so they won't keep opening and closing, I don't think he will want to be out there all by himself (or who knows... maybe he will)!!

My daugther who who was 12 on our last cruise slept out on the balcony a few times. we had 1688 so she had plenty of room to sleep. she plans on doing it again next year when we sail. i took some naps out there during days at sea.

Ron

Archived