Some Galveston Help please.....

Hi everyone !

We sail in October...and are flying into Texas the night before...

I am assuming that Houston in the closest airport?

and

Any hotel suggestions? Maybe between airport and ship?

(We will just taxi over to the ship in the morning ! )

Thanks and Happy 4th !!

Christine

Houston International is twice as far as Hobby actually. 1.5 hours vs about 45 minutes.

Can you fly SW?

I dont know how much difference there is in shuttle prices though since Houston International is larger.

Harbor house is next to the port and you can walk over in the morning and not need a taxi.

Or you can stay at any hotel on Seawall across from the beach (the other side of the island, about 3 miles from the port).

I stay on the beach, and love waking up and seeing the beach and walking the boulevard.

I would stay in Galveston on Seawall even if its $20 more.. who wants to stay in some little town in the middle to save $20 and not wake up on the water.

It is true there are some cheaper places to stay on the way.. but I would get a shuttle all the way to Galveston to cut down on costs to the port, so at most either a hotel shuttle (all the Holiday Inns for instance have a shuttle to the port in the morning, but its slow). or take a taxi.

You dont really want to stay in Texas City just to save a few bucks. Save a penny here, but then have more expenses to the port.. makes no sense.

If you fly into either airport the day before you cruise it would be nice to go ahead and get transportation (can't through Carnival) on down to Galveston. It's a nice town to spend the evening in.

I would book a shuttle from one of the Houston airports to a hotel on Seawall Blvd. There are several to choose from with lots of restaurants and attractions within walking distance.

On embarkation day a taxi to the pier is going to run about $20 for 2 people and takes only about 10 minutes. I usually arrive at the pier by 10:30 and we're usually on the ship by 11:30ish.

Your other option is to stay close to the airport that you fly in to ( and probably cheaper) then taxi back to the airport on embarkation morning to take Carnival's shuttle to the pier.

Which cruise are you going to be on? there are a lot of us on the 10/27 sailing.

Like Firefly said, there's IAH, George Bush Intercontinental and HOU, William P. Hobby Airport. United has a hub at IAH and Southwest hubs out of HOU. Either way, you should plan on going down to Galveston the day before and avoid a "drab" hotel in the city.

Depending on your budget, I'd go with Harbor House or San Luis Hotel. To get there, from IAH or HOU, depending on the number of folks in your party, you could take a cab, get a limo or go with Galveston Limousine. Check www.fly2houston.com for more info on transportation. IAH and HOU are part of the Houston Airport System and www.fly2houston.com is their website.

Have a great sailing.

Ive even stayed at a cheapie, like $39.99 senior special.. some place that changes name, Travel lodge? where you can see the ocean from the 2nd story windows of your room.

Just 1/2 block off seawall... hotels are so cheap, that I personally would not mess around with one in some half way city in between in the middle of nowhere. I love walking on the blvd. Its a wide concrete boulevard where there are roller skaters, dogs, everyone out walking in the morning, or at night or any time. January late at night, off season its pretty quiet, but usually a lot of fun to me.

I am with Beans here. Galveston is our favorite port and we have sailed from Miami, New Orleans and Mobile. If you stay on the Seawall you have a zillion things to see and do within walking distance. As for food, (read seafood), try Guido's on Ave. O. It doesn't get any better.

• 2 weeks later...

Casey's is right next door to Gaidos'. It is virtually the same food, it IS the same family but mucho cheaper prices! I eat there every time I go to G'town and stay @ the hotel/motel too!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can anyone give me a name of a couple of hotels on Sea Wall?

How is the weather cruising out of Galveston end of January?

Thanks

We stay at Quality Inn on 61st and Sea Wall. I think that is the address. My husband likes to cross the street and walk out on the fishing pier and watch people catch fish. I like to stay here because I always request a room on the 4th or 5th floor on the east side. I get up early the day we sail and watch the ship come in with my binoculars. They have small balconies. I forgot to add that, sorry.

I'm sure the Galveston native on this string will agree that the Seawall is great but it's several miles long. As for everything being within walking distance that depends on your condition and which hotel you pick.

If you have as hard of a time walking a long distance as I do, then this information is for you.

I don't use the hotels myself as we live too close to the port. As I recall, just about any hotel on Seawall Blvd. has a restaurant or two within a short walk. If all you're looking for is a place to sleep and eat any hotel on Seawall Blvd. will do. Some offer free transportation to the port on embarkation days.

If you want to visit some of the other attractions or want to try a special restaurant then you need to check the location of the hotel vs. the attractions or restaurant you'd like to visit. Galveston dot com will help you with that.

The last 2 times I have stayed at Sheraton Four Points.....on Seawall Blvd....across from The Pleasure Pier....walking distance to places to eat including fast food.

When I do not stay on Seawall, I usually stay at Moody Gardens....really nice hotel with lot's to do (extra costs!), but my grandkids love it!

I'm sure the Galveston native on this string will agree that the Seawall is great but it's several miles long. As for everything being within walking distance that depends on your condition and which hotel you pick.

If you have as hard of a time walking a long distance as I do, then this information is for you.

I don't use the hotels myself as we live too close to the port. As I recall, just about any hotel on Seawall Blvd. has a restaurant or two within a short walk. If all you're looking for is a place to sleep and eat any hotel on Seawall Blvd. will do. Some offer free transportation to the port on embarkation days.

If you want to visit some of the other attractions or want to try a special restaurant then you need to check the location of the hotel vs. the attractions or restaurant you'd like to visit. Galveston dot com will help you with that.

Moody gardens, San Luis .

And Galvez , Tremont , Harbor house

And couple others have there own courtesy free large buses that transfer you to the tourist sites and restaurants and nite life around town.

And there is city transfer bus between tourist sites also.

Archived