Valletta Malta from Port

It's fairly steep. You can take a horse carriage. You also can walk into the parking garage and take the elevator. That is still a bit of a walk but not near as steep as the road.

Read one poster that the walk from the port up the hill to Valletta is very strenuous. Thoughts? I walk and run everyday but have bad knees, so not sure.

Thanks.

You sound like you're in better shape than me and I did it, no problem. We vwere on a budget and decided to DIY. Here's an excerpt from my 2008 journal:

We were going to take the bus into town but the line-up was so long it would of filled a couple of buses. We decided we were going to hike to town following the signs. We were told to go through the “Victoria Gate” and climb the stairs to the top of town. It was 200 steps at a 45º angle. We climb to the Upper Barrakka Gardens which offered a panoramic view of the Grand Harbor. They were first constructed in 1661 for the private use of knights from the Italian langue. It was not before 1824 that the gardens were opened to the public. The garden suffered extensive damage throughout the Second World War.

After visiting the Upper Garden we proceeded to the center of town. Amongst the narrow cobblestone street and Mediterranean architecture were the finest shops and name brands that you could imagine. DW bought some silver bracelets and Medina glass which Malta is known for.

We hiked across the peninsula to see Fort St. Elmo but it was closed for repairs. We proceeded around the sea wall to the Lower Barrakka Gardens. The Lower Barrakka Gardens are full of monuments of remembrance. The garden paths are lined with busts, statues and plaques illustrating various personalities and significant events from Maltese history. The gardens contain two major monuments, one dedicated to Sir Alexander Ball and another in remembrance of the Great Siege of Malta. Sir Alexander Ball led Maltese insurgents against the French in the 1798 uprising, and went on to become the first British Governor of Malta.

We spent some time going through the area and then headed for the post office to buy some souvenir sheets before heading back to the ship at 3pm. It was a great day in port for us.

I believe there is now an elevator linking the port with the Upper Barrakka Gardens and Valletta city centre. See this link

You beat me to it, that is what I just wanted to mention. Keep walking along the seaside towards the tip of the bay.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks to everyone for your responses. looking forward to working off the pasta by walking and taking the elevator!

We just came back from Malta. The elevator is nice. Just turn right and you will eventually see a sign that says ("Town Centre - quickest route") and it will lead you to the elevator. It costs €1 to go up, but is free to come down.

It takes about 15 minutes to walk from ship to the lift (since they make you wind out of the port is such a complicated fashion). When you exit from the port area, just keep going to the right, past where the taxis and horses and buses are. There is a sign on the opposite side of the street that you'll see says Lift 500 M.

We had two stops in Malta on our B2B sailings and both times there were attendants to assist with getting the lift tickets for going up (it's free to come down). At the top is free wifi and the garden area is nice for sitting - cooler and shady. If you are there around noon, be sure to watch the demonstration and firing of the cannon to announce that it is noon - a fun thing. Also while in Valletta, find somewhere to get a pastizzi - a local snack treat that is like a pizza dough crust (only not) that is filled with ricotta cheese or mushy peas and then folded up like a pastry pocket.

Archived