Why MSC is defining the new cruise industry - opinion

Skipper Tim

It's a US congressional hearing - so who are the three largest operators in the US? The ones stated.

It doesn't mean worldwide.

Where does it say that? It doesn't

In fact, it mentions the 26 members of the CLIA of their opinions on the legislation

Carnival is headquartered in the us and uk

Royal Caribbean is us and Norwegian

Norwegian is privately and publicly owned, 43 % in maylasia

And I'm sure you've noticed only pride off America is registered in the USA, all the rest are not subject to US laws such as labor etc

Msc has offices in the us, does that make it a "USA" cruise line?

It's ships are inspected by the US, does that make it a US cruise line?

The headline reads corporations, not companies, there is a difference

Where does it say that? It doesn't .

Actually, it does: "In a Congressional hearing held today in Washington, D.C., Royal Caribbean International C.E.O and President Adam Goldstein announced the three largest cruise operators-- Carnival Cruise Corp., Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and Norwegian Cruise Line"

In fact, it mentions the 26 members of the CLIA of their opinions on the legislation

Msc has offices in the us, does that make it a "USA" cruise line?

It's ships are inspected by the US, does that make it a US cruise line?

According to CLIA, "CLIA is composed of 26 of the major cruise lines serving North America."

I'm well aware of that, which is why this discussion doesn't involve Princess.

That is why MSC and NCL are closely tied in third and fourth place. Figures show that MSC are slightly larger.

That must depend upon where you live. In the UK, "corporation" is old English for "company". My company is legally "incorporated" and I have the certificate saying so.

The modern meaning for "corporation" could be stretched to an Non-Governmental-Organisation or local council, but that is quite a stretch.

Otherwise, Corporation = Company in British English.

Actually, it does: "In a Congressional hearing held today in Washington, D.C., Royal Caribbean International C.E.O and President Adam Goldstein announced the three largest cruise operators-- Carnival Cruise Corp., Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and Norwegian Cruise Line"

According to CLIA, "CLIA is composed of 26 of the major cruise lines serving North America."

I'm well aware of that, which is why this discussion doesn't involve Princess.

That is why MSC and NCL are closely tied in third and fourth place. Figures show that MSC are slightly larger.

Again, you don't the difference between Carnival Cruise CORPORATION and Carnival Cruise LINE.

"Carnival Corporation & plc is a global cruise company and one of the largest vacation companies in the world. Our portfolio of leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises (UK), and Cunard in the United Kingdom; AIDA Cruises in Germany; Costa Cruises in Southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain; and P&O Cruises (Australia) in Australia.

These brands, which comprise the most recognized cruise brands in North America, the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy, offer a wide range of holiday and vacation products to a customer base that is broadly varied in terms of cultures, languages and leisure-time preferences. We also own a tour company that complements our cruise operations: Holland America Princess Alaska Tours in Alaska and the Canadian Yukon. Combined, our vacation companies attract 10 million guests annually. "

AS we can all see, CARNIVAL CRUISE CORPORATION owns Princess, and Princess has plenty of Alaska sailings, which is in the USA too.

So, you are saying MSC isn't included because it doesn't serve North America?

That's a shocker

Maybe having it in print from another source can help you understand:

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/market-share/

But I doubt it

Again, you don't the difference between Carnival Cruise CORPORATION and Carnival Cruise LINE.

Again, you're inferring something that isn't there.

"Carnival Corporation & plc is a global cruise company and one of the largest vacation companies in the world. Our portfolio of leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises (UK), and Cunard in the United Kingdom; AIDA Cruises in Germany; Costa Cruises in Southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain; and P&O Cruises (Australia) in Australia.

These brands, which comprise the most recognized cruise brands in North America, the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy, offer a wide range of holiday and vacation products to a customer base that is broadly varied in terms of cultures, languages and leisure-time preferences. We also own a tour company that complements our cruise operations: Holland America Princess Alaska Tours in Alaska and the Canadian Yukon. Combined, our vacation companies attract 10 million guests annually. "

AS we can all see, CARNIVAL CRUISE CORPORATION owns Princess, and Princess has plenty of Alaska sailings, which is in the USA too.

Which is why it's not explicitly separated. It's part of the one group. Why you don't get this is unfathomable.

So, you are saying MSC isn't included because it doesn't serve North America?

That's a shocker

Yes, your interpretation is. I already gave the definition for the CLIA above.

Again, you're inferring something that isn't there.

Which is why it's not explicitly separated. It's part of the one group. Why you don't get this is unfathomable.

Yes, your interpretation is. I already gave the definition for the CLIA above.

Well, you can pretend all you like that MSC is the third largest cruise line or corporation all you want, all published market share figures prove otherwise.

Maritime law is much older than the U.S.A. and the politicians of the the latter have no power over the former. A ship's country of registration takes precedence over country of ownership, hence all the Panamanian registrations to avoid proper wages, working conditions and taxes.

What some bunch of politicians discuss about the cruise industry in Washington is irrelevant to the extreme.

Perhaps you should address your complaints/opinion to the editor via your suggestion thread.

After all, CC published the story in the news section of this USA based website, so someone in authority obviously thinks differently than you, a position that you've made quite clear is unacceptable to you.

Perhaps you should address your complaints/opinion to the editor via your suggestion thread.

After all, CC published the story in the news section of this USA based website, so someone in authority obviously thinks differently than you, a position that you've made quite clear is unacceptable to you.

I have made no comment on this story other than to say it is mere 'noise'.

Wait, what? You can't have free water? What if you fill it up in your bathroom sink? Or do they also charge you every time you get water from your bathroom sink? You guys just made my head spin. Is orange juice free? Any liquids free? Can someone explain the drink situation? I 've never been on an MSC ship and I'm going in December.

Wait, what? You can't have free water? What if you fill it up in your bathroom sink? Or do they also charge you every time you get water from your bathroom sink? You guys just made my head spin. Is orange juice free? Any liquids free? Can someone explain the drink situation? I 've never been on an MSC ship and I'm going in December.

If you are going on the Divina in Decemebr then you'll get free iced tap water at all meals. OJ is included at breakfast but its not great (IMO). You'll also get free tea or coffee in MDR at breakfast, not sur if theynalso do this at dinner on US sailings - it's been awhile since I last had a cruise out of the US. In the buffet there is a free beverage station open 24 hours per day serving tea, coffee, water and ice. Think getting iced tea on US sailings is also no cost, but not certain.

If on the other hand you are sailing elsewhere, if you booked through a US TA or MSC USA, you'll get a book of vouchers to exchange for bottled water at diner. Please note that references to paying for water is only for bottled water.

If you are going on the Divina in Decemebr then you'll get free iced tap water at all meals. OJ is included at breakfast but its not great (IMO). You'll also get free tea or coffee in MDR at breakfast, not sur if theynalso do this at dinner on US sailings - it's been awhile since I last had a cruise out of the US. In the buffet there is a free beverage station open 24 hours per day serving tea, coffee, water and ice. Think getting iced tea on US sailings is also no cost, but not certain.

If on the other hand you are sailing elsewhere, if you booked through a US TA or MSC USA, you'll get a book of vouchers to exchange for bottled water at diner. Please note that references to paying for water is only for bottled water.

Have you kept a count of the number of times you have answered that question Mairi?

We really should have an MSC FAQ sticky.

MSC is a new cruise line that is still learning.

They have copied some design ideas from other lines and implemented them on their ships.

As they start regular Caribbean cruises from MIA , it's imperative for them to learn how to maintain service and order on cruise ships.

Now on the Divina you'll get free tap water and iced tea with any meals in MDR, free OJ (of some quality) for breakfast in MDR and in the buffet, free tea & coffee and cold beverages any time during the day in the buffet.

We all will have it on the Divina.

If something from that is missing - make it absolutely clear to them that you want it right away.

No options - right away!

You'll get it or they will lose their business in this area.

Same for kids in the adult area - aft pool area.

If there is no order - be vocal, let them know.

I am sure they have prepared for the Caribbean cruises and will continue to "define cruise line industry" elsewhere.

MSC is a new cruise line that is still learning.

They have copied some design ideas from other lines and implemented them on their ships.

As they start regular Caribbean cruises from MIA , it's imperative for them to learn how to maintain service and order on cruise ships.

Now on the Divina you'll get free tap water and iced tea with any meals in MDR, free OJ (of some quality) for breakfast in MDR and in the buffet, free tea & coffee and cold beverages any time during the day in the buffet.

We all will have it on the Divina.

If something from that is missing - make it absolutely clear to them that you want it right away.

No options - right away!

You'll get it or they will lose their business in this area.

Same for kids in the adult area - aft pool area.

If there is no order - be vocal, let them know.

I am sure they have prepared for the Caribbean cruises and will continue to "define cruise line industry" elsewhere.

I see what you mean, MSC is conforming to the norms of the cruise industry, slowly but surely.

Last April on Poesia, we had ice water, ice tea, coffee, decaf, tea 24/7 at buffet PLUS we had orange, pineapple, cranberry and grapefruit juice at the buffet...24/7 !

The buffet itself was open 20 hours a day with food...and really good food

too

This was my 3rd time on Poesia, and I can say they have improved, catering more to our "American" tastes (and love of the food trough LOL)

The first time I sailed MSC 2 years ago we disliked the short hours of buffet but they improved that. First time we had to beg for water at dinner, big problem....this time we had water with ice, bowls of lemons (requested) every night and they would fill up our water and even leave pitchers on the table :)

Only problem at buffet was they would run out of coffee and/or ice various times when busy!

My review of the april cruise is here>>http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=218860

Skipper:

What a fantastic piece. I'm a soon-to-be first-time cruiser, sailing on the NCL Breakaway in March... unless I give in to my growing obsession and book something sooner. In looking at various lines and deciding which one I wanted to sail, price is a major factor... especially since I'm a solo traveler who winds up paying double occupancy.

When I priced a 7 day trip on the Divinia out of Miami and it came back at around $1200 for a balcony, I assumed that was either a mistake or per person. Imagine my surprise upon discovering that it was neither!

I don't care about many of the "perks" being offered left and right by lines. Flowriders and water slides and bumper cars don't mean a thing to me. I want to get on a boat, stare at the water, enjoy some food and meet interesting people in cocktail lounges.

Sometimes, less really IS more... and can actually cost less, too.

Richard/Tralfie

Last April on Poesia, we had ice water, ice tea, coffee, decaf, tea 24/7 at buffet PLUS we had orange, pineapple, cranberry and grapefruit juice at the buffet...24/7 !

The buffet itself was open 20 hours a day with food...and really good food

too

This was my 3rd time on Poesia, and I can say they have improved, catering more to our "American" tastes (and love of the food trough LOL)

The first time I sailed MSC 2 years ago we disliked the short hours of buffet but they improved that. First time we had to beg for water at dinner, big problem....this time we had water with ice, bowls of lemons (requested) every night and they would fill up our water and even leave pitchers on the table :)

Only problem at buffet was they would run out of coffee and/or ice various times when busy!

My review of the april cruise is here>>http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=218860

So, redefining the industry or getting more Americanized?

So, redefining the industry or getting more Americanized?

Your question is sound, but I believe most of the people here are posting from an American perspective and failing to take into consideration the 11 other vessels that don't sail NA.

I think the real defining characteristic of MSC is that they bespoke their cruises according to the region in which they sail, in the Mediteranean it is classical Continetal European, in South Afica is typically South African, in South America it they reinvent themselves for the South American market ( I have cruised with them in all three regions) and, from what I understand from these boards is that in NA they are bespoking their cruises to accommodate that region.

For me their defining of their cruises according to region and culture extends to the passenger in that when in the Mediteranean, South Ammerica, south Aftica etc your experiences do not start and stop at the gangplank it continues throughout the cruise. Something, which I felt I missed when on Nieuw Amsterdam in 2012; the only time I felt I was in Europe was when I went ashore and so, in retrospect HAL failed to satisfy one of the fundamental purposes if travelling - experiencing the culture of the region you are travelling in.

Your question is sound, but I believe most of the people here are posting from an American perspective and failing to take into consideration the 11 other vessels that don't sail NA.

I think the real defining characteristic of MSC is that they bespoke their cruises according to the region in which they sail, in the Mediteranean it is classical Continetal European, in South Afica is typically South African, in South America it they reinvent themselves for the South American market ( I have cruised with them in all three regions) and, from what I understand from these boards is that in NA they are bespoking their cruises to accommodate that region.

For me their defining of their cruises according to region and culture extends to the passenger in that when in the Mediteranean, South Ammerica, south Aftica etc your experiences do not start and stop at the gangplank it continues throughout the cruise. Something, which I felt I missed when on Nieuw Amsterdam in 2012; the only time I felt I was in Europe was when I went ashore and so, in retrospect HAL failed to satisfy one of the fundamental purposes if travelling - experiencing the culture of the region you are travelling in.

Does this extend to the galley? It's quite obvious that that most lines serve a corporate approved menu, It was very disappointing last year on RCCL that we didn't get any delicious local fare, it was the same generic items served stateside.

I see what you mean, MSC is conforming to the norms of the cruise industry, slowly but surely.

MSC is not conforming to the norms of the 'cruise industry'. MSC 'Divina' is conforming to the Canadian and American markets for the Caribbean cruises only. That is a big difference. I once cruised in Europe with Princess and I hated it because they did not conform to the European market. So now I only cruise with MSC in Europe. I was told that when MSC goes to Australia, they will conform to the Australian market.

My thought on that is that they might gain some popularity with the North American market in the Caribbean but they will lose an important market which is the German market. Germans travel a lot and MSC is one of their favorite cruise lines. When the Poesia was in the Caribbean, the ship had a lot of German passengers onboard because everything was done in 5 languages. Now they might go to the Caribbean with AIDA cruise line.

Here is an interesting article about the changes:

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/ken-muskat-reveals-his-perspective-whats-ahead-msc-cruises-41067

MSC is not conforming to the norms of the 'cruise industry'. MSC 'Divina' is conforming to the Canadian and American markets for the Caribbean cruises only. That is a big difference. I once cruised in Europe with Princess and I hated it because they did not conform to the European market. So now I only cruise with MSC in Europe. I was told that when MSC goes to Australia, they will conform to the Australian market.

The thing is that for the lines being compared to, over half their customer base is out of the US. It's understandable that they're catering for the bulk of the customers (although pay lip service to localising in some cases).

As can be seen here, MSC does not get a popular rating from the dominant US group, as they haven't tailored their product to US tastes as much as others do.

Does this extend to the galley? It's quite obvious that that most lines serve a corporate approved menu, It was very disappointing last year on RCCL that we didn't get any delicious local fare, it was the same generic items served stateside.

Absolutely! It is so obvious when on a repo cruise going 1/3 of the way around the World. We called at Casablanca on the Musica and sure enough we had some delicious Moroccan spicy dish - and Morocco was not then one of MSC's regular countries of call. The specialities every evening are from the cuisine of the next or current country visited. Superb! One actually feels a traveller rather than a tourist cocooned in an artificial home bubble.

I would be hesitant about the use of the word "juice". Was there any juice in the juice? I have found that the free stuff is flavoured, coloured sugar water and now avoid it. The real thing comes from the pool and spa bars but is extra unless on Allegrissimo.

Archived