Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Patty, I hear you. Been there, done that. My relationship broke up 10 years ago and we still keep in touch. He still cruises -- a LOT more than I do. I just make sure I'm never on the same ship! :eek:

My 2 upcoming cruises are both solo. I've sailed with family and girlfriends to avoid the single supplement, but I actually have a MUCH better time and meet a lot more nice people when I sail alone.

Just go out there, girl, and do your own thing. You've got the right attitude. You'll find your cruising groove in no time. :)

Hahahahahahaha! Many years ago while I was separated from my husband, we ended up on the same returning flight from Italy. And he was with his new GIRLFRIEND! You can't make these things up! I was so tempted to ask the cabin attendant to bring MY HUSBAND and HIS GIRLFRIEND some champagne. LOL. She was very uncomfortable but I wasn't. As far as I was concerned, she got the worse end of the deal.:D

Since then (subsequently divorced) I have travelled a lot solo and with friends. Did the cruise thing while the kids were young, which was essentially solo but now have planned a California coastal by myself. Soooo looking forward to it. Never have an issue travelling alone. :-)

Well it's only 30 days til my first solo cruise and the excitement is mounting. Sanibel Island was nice but as usual I do what others want to do. I am psyched for a whole week of me time. I will miss my BF and the cuddling, but will not miss the care and tending of another person. The folks on this forum are so very supportive and give you the impetus to go on. Thanks.

Independence of The Seas November 22, 1014

What do solos do when on "anytime dining"? Eat alone, ask to be seated with someone? Who do you ask and when?

Thanks

If you are assigned anytime dinning, when you go to the MDR, just ask the hostess to either be seated at a large table if you want to eat with others, or a table for two if you want to eat alone. I personally always ask to be seated for a table for two.

Whenever I sail solo I usually go for a table for two. With a bit of luck I'll find a great waiter then try to stick with him/her. I've met a lot of nice couples this way which make eating solo more enjoyable. Most cruisers stick to a routine so it's easy to talk to people one runs into regularly at the buffet etc.

Independence of The Seas November 22, 1014

What do solos do when on "anytime dining"? Eat alone, ask to be seated with someone? Who do you ask and when?

Thanks

Anytime or traditional dining - as a solo, I ask the Maître D to sit me at a large table of adults. Odds are that there will be someone to talk with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I tried anytime dining, I asked for a large table and got one along with 5 other people. had a great time that night. The next night, large table with one couple from Scotland. Their brogue was so thick I couldn't understand them and they had problems with my "California" accent. so we just sat and looked at each other. I ate at the buffet for the rest of the cruise.

Since then, it has been early dining all the way, with no problems.

I'll be sailing solo on the Grandeur to Bermuda May 8, 2015.

It seems strange to fly from FL to go on a cruise!! I will combine this with a visit to my kids who live just outside Balt.

For the past 12 years I have cruised with my DH but he is now in a nursing home. Been to all of the islands soooo many times that now I will cruise to places that I have never been.

I cruised solo in the past when I was 'between husbands'. I am very outgoing and have no trouble talking to anyone who doesn't walk away:D.

Hi there -

I have been on 15 cruises and decided to go on my first solo cruise this year - Any advice (especially on the dining??)

My question to you.......Can you dine alone? Some people can't. If you prefer the company of others than you need to request a table for 6 - 8 - 10 and they will place you with lots of other folks who you can share your dining time with. If you prefer to eat alone you may ask for a small table and dine alone or go Anytime Dining and choose what you would like!

You can also go to the buffet or International Café and dine in a large environment with others around just not necessarily at your table.

There's also room service if you feel like really being alone!

It's your choice and it's your cruise, have fun!

Roz ♥

Hi Rebec31,

I've cruised solo and did anytime dining. I was seated at a table for two and initially I was unconfortable for the first few minutes thinking I must be standing out to everyone else. If I noticed someone looking at me I simply smiled and said hello to them. I think it is just as uncomfortable for others because they're trying to figure out why someone is going it alone and they bring in their own sensitivities or preconceived notions. Once you break the ice with the people at the surrounding tables everyone feels more relaxed and it's all downhill from there. If you find talking to strangers easy then you'll be fine. Do whatever works for you!

Hi there -

I have been on 15 cruises and decided to go on my first solo cruise this year - Any advice (especially on the dining??)

If you choose fixed sittings the cruiseline will seat you with other solo travelers - at least they always do on Carnival. It's great!

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to "Cruise Critic" and "Roll Call/Forums". I'm a solo lady traveler booked on the Carnival Splendor - November 16, 2014.

Are there any other solo lady travelers booked on this same sailing?

Is there a special place on this site to locate or chat (a head of time) with other solo cruisers for this same sailing?

Does Carnival Splendor schedule an on-board "solo cruiser meet and greet" or "single traveler mix and mingle" event/activity?

Hi, NYB. You should join the Roll Call for the Splendor cruise for Nov 16 right away if you haven't already and ask if there are any solo cruisers on that thread. Find out if the Roll Call has a Meet & Greet planned. Once on board you can check the Fun Times newsletter for any Singles meetings. I found that they usually are poorly attended. It does not mean there are few solo cruisers on board.

Hi there -

I had a blast in October. I did my first solo and did it with some back to backs. Was so awesome. I was always seated with other solos - at 6pm MDR. Choose a set time so I could get to know the same group all week on every cruise. Was really nice and made some friends and exchanged info.

Edited by tbbtravels

Hi, NYB. You should join the Roll Call for the Splendor cruise for Nov 16 right away if you haven't already and ask if there are any solo cruisers on that thread. Find out if the Roll Call has a Meet & Greet planned. Once on board you can check the Fun Times newsletter for any Singles meetings. I found that they usually are poorly attended. It does not mean there are few solo cruisers on board.

All good suggestions. There is usually a bulletin board near/next to the guest services counter with group meetings posted.

Rick