Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 2:59 PM, IshoHonawe said:

First ever solo cruise and cruise in general. Setting sail on August 30th on the NCL Sky out of Miami. Nervous excitement. 

I am going on the Sky transatlantic in October.  Solo.  Anyone else?  I know thats a long shot.           

Your first cruise!  I hope you enjoy it and the seas are calm.  I am hooked. Now about 50 cruises, and many of the later ones solo.

Edited by JoseyP

On 3/8/2024 at 6:18 PM, IamAlyce said:

Anyone have experience cruising solo on Princess?

TIA, A

Yes, cruised solo on Princess in November. 26 nights.  Loved it. another transatlantic. Look at my signature.

I'm solo on NCL Getaway from Lisbon to Miami in October 24, Celestyal Discovery Athens - Egypt - Athens (B2) over Christmas 2025, and Royal Caribbean Spectrum of the Seas Shanghai to Shanghai in April 2026

Too early for a roll call? lol

On 3/24/2023 at 9:13 AM, whee-sailing said:

My experience with Celebrity this February was similar to yours. In general, fellow guests just weren't as friendly as they were on other cruise lines. Still had a great time though.

Enjoy your trip in June!

I am new to solo cruising.  I just assume that the 'up-market' cruiselines' pax are probably not particularly friendly to solos.  I've never cruised luxe lines except for many years ago as a couple.  I'm just a plain girl who likes to enjoy every minute, and I have always thought that people wouldn't be as relaxed and friendly on the luxe lines.  So I don't think I'll ever book one!  I did a 2-week river cruise from Provence to Normandy in March and it was extraordinarily easy to get to know people; I had a posse of 8 or 10 women practically from the first evening.  I've not ocean-cruised as a solo, so August to Alaska on Princess will be a neat way to compare ocean and river cruising.  

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 3:38 AM, shorne said:

I'm going to take the 33-day cruise to Iceland and Norway on Princess next month. This will be my first vacation in seven years. I must admit that I am not naturally inclined to take a cruise, because so many of them (especially of the Miami-to-the-Bahamas-and-back variety) seem to cater either to children or to adults whose main interests are eating, drinking, gambling, and shopping (all in copious amounts). Princess is said to cultivate a more mature, more sophisticated atmosphere, which I certainly hope to find on this particular cruise.

Despite the cost, I splashed out on a room with a balcony so that I could withdraw from company and spend time by myself in reasonable comfort whenever I wished. After so many years without a vacation, I need a chance just to rest. Most of the first ten days of this cruise will be spent at sea, and although many people would find that unappealing, I expect that it will help me to recover from exhaustion.

Reading many of the comments in this section, I have been surprised by the number of people who refuse to dine alone. I have requested a table to myself for the first few evenings. Only the lack of information about activities (any shows or other events that might be of interest) leaves me hesitant to reserve dining for subsequent evenings. It seems that the schedule of activities will not be available beforehand, so I may not make more reservations yet.

I'm a new solo cruiser, but I've always needed my downtime out on the balcony (going to Alaska, so probably wrapped in a blanket!).  I haven't decided about dinner yet ... I usually enjoy the buffet because I can just have a few of this and that, not a big dinner.  My only concern is 'being alone' too much, so this first solo ocean cruise will be educational.  I hope your cruise was all you hoped and then some.

On 4/1/2023 at 7:42 PM, shorne said:

I too had naïvely thought that those factors would favour a more mature and sophisticated clientele, but these days it seems that there is no venue that trashy people will not overrun and destroy. Years ago I stopped attending live operas here in North Uhmerica because almost invariably they are ruined by trashy people who talk throughout or otherwise disrupt them. Fortunately, the audiences in Eastern Europe, South America, and many other places are much more respectful of art and of other people.

I'm laughing ... encountering trashy people is exactly what I'm concerned about!  I think I will do my socializing in the bars so I can just disappear to another venue if needed.  

On 6/19/2024 at 6:36 AM, jrt.mom said:

I have cruised with a dear friend I love but we're not room compatible,  I get up at 6 am and she never gets out of bed before 9, so I tiptoe around the cabin til she rises. So I booked my first solo cruise but didn't want to be sneaky about it, so I told her. She immediately booked herself on the same cruise, but in a nearby solo cabin. So hopefully it works out and all of our future cruises will be done this way!

This sounds like the best of both worlds!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1