Small ship w/ kids review - Alaskan Dream Cruises (kind of long)

morgan5

Alaskan Dream has apparently improved their services based on these reviews and that’s good to read. We were thrilled to see Allen Marine fill the void left by Cruise West and we’re on one of their first sailings. They were stumbling during our trip but I suppose there were bugs to be worked out and hopefully that was isolated. Un-Cruise (formerly InnerSea Discoveries) was far ahead with both amenities and customer service. At least in our experience, Alaskan Dream is a good introduction to small ship cruising for less than what it costs on Un-Cruise although you get what you pay for.

I think Innersea Discoveries took over some of CruiseWest's ships. One evening we had a presentation by the first mate, a smart, solid woman who pretty much managed the whole project of taking our ship from where it had been languishing in drydock for years, through repairing and refurbishing it. Interesting stuff.

Glaciers - with over 2000 total posts and now touting Un-Cruise, while knocking Alaskan Dream Cruises, on a thread about Alaskan Dream Cruises, it sounds like YOU are the one with an ulterior motive and that you work for the other cruise line!

You do get what you pay for on Alaskan Dream Cruises - as every one of these posts states, you get an outstanding, first-class, friendly, educational and informative experience!

I agree Alaskan Dream is a great entry into small ship cruising. Allen Marine has been around for a long time and knows SE Alaska like no one else. They have apparently increased activities, particularly for youth, filling a needed niche and giving alternative to the larger lines.

Can someone who's returned recently tell me what the recommended gratuities were on Alaskan Dream? Also, whether we'll need cash or we can charge them to our shipboard account payable on credit card? Thanks!

Whale right in front of boat. I can't remember where this was, but we were leaving Hobart Bay and heading to Petersburg that evening. The ship stopped for the whale show.

That's all the pics I have for now. Quality isn't that good, because I was just using my phone.

image.jpg.d30cd2e914ed81e70a586b9ccd3fdfe0.jpg

Archived