Magic's lucky coin...

Every ship has one.. They are supposed to be lucky .... This is an excerpt from John Heald's blog when the Magic was Christened....

It is often to be found on the funnel. Basically, it is a commemorative coin sealed in a box. Here is how John described it:

The ship was blessed for safe travels for all crew and guests that will sail with her; a champagne bottle was broken and the ship was gifted with a very special coin. According to the shipyard staff there is a centuries old tradition that calls for every ship to carry a lucky coin. The coin is welded to the hull of the ship and has to happen before the ship can touch water. The flooding of the dock is also a very special occasion as it’s the first time the ship will be in her “natural habitat” as one staff member put it so nicely.

Now, I know I didn’t describe it very poetically, but I will tell you that I saw many proud smiling faces – and even a tear or two (happy tears, of course) from both the Italian and American crew and staff during today’s events. It was an honor to witness the festivities first hand and I will definitely be looking for all the coins on the other ships (the coin is on deck 11 on the Carnival Magic, but I’m not sure where it is on the other ships. Has anyone seen any of the coins on the other ships? If so let me know what deck it’s on).

Archived