Parents Need to Control thier Kids.

RCI ENFORCE RULES! :eek: I don't think they have it in them. I'm sure those same parents, willing to hire attorneys to defend their child's ill classroom behavior, would do the same after having their late night bar crawl disrupted by the captain wanting to discuss Timmy's poor onboard behavior with them.

I guess I'm really surprised to hear of such poor behavior at all. Seriously, with all the devices out their for mom and dad to shove in their kids face and plug into their ears you would find it difficult to believe they even had time to perform such acts. This would require a lot on the child's part. They would have to turn off the MP3 player, pause the gamebox/Sony Playstation, and even leave the room! I don't know if this is possible. On second thought, it is the parents fault...for not bringing enough batteries :)

Or perhaps their parents would have to sign off the internet long enough to know that their child was acting up? Come on, some of these people (not you parrot, just making a statement) posting about the obnoxious behaviour of children that "aren't theirs" have also asked how to obtain the internet online in other threads. If they are trying to get online on board, they obviously aren't watching their kids.

Noone can tell me they are watching their "little darlings" any more on the boat than they are when they are posting 1000 plust posts on this board. Think of the number of posts these people have, compared to how much time they must spend with their 'wonderful' children as they are online 'defending' their parenting and their children's behavior all day. I'd be willing to bet they have many more posts in a year than the number of minutes they volunteered at their child's school, or even asking their child what they did that day.

Isn't there another thread (about the family getting kicked off in St. Thomas) singing the praises of RCI for strictly enforcing rules? What happened here? There's something to be said for consistency. One should not have to check the captain of the ship before booking to ensure an enjoyable voyage.

We just got off the ship. Everytime I saw a kid running through the halls or jumping down the stairway I'd stop and loudly say to my kids as I pointed: "See what he's doing? He's giving every kid on this ship a bad name! I sure hope he quits or all the kids will get slammed for his behavior!" And the kid usually quit and acted embarrassed. Now granted I guess that could put my kid in a bad spot later, but my boys seemed to understand what was exceptable behavior. I noticed our family would form a single line down steps or in a hallway, but many ADULTS would walk 2 by two and bump us, very rudely. It's hard to teach your kids common courtesy, when adults (some sober,some drunk) aren't showing it. It's a 2 way street, and I can only control my children. And I do!

Karen

Not all kids are bad. I did see alot of teens that were well behaved with and without thier parents. I also saw one couple argue with thier daughter on the Promenade, the daughter was arguing back then walked away from them. The parents went chasing after her. If I did this when I was her age I would have probably got some kind of punishment. One thing I was taught was never to argue with your parents and to respect older people and people with authority. Kids today are just totally different. We were all kids once, but I never remember being this bad and showing no respect.

mbisson, good point and one to ponder...but still I ask are serving any purpose?

I count myself lucky when my teenager follows all I've taught her, but I am not always there. At fifteen she will make some choices that I will disagree with and possible some that will get her in trouble. She'll pay the consequences! However, I try not to judge others, since I don't know all the details.

The wheelchair thing is beyond bad behavior it is criminal...sick. And I'll leave it at that:)

Actually at 15 YOU will pay the consequences. Until she's 18 you are responsible legally for her actions...unless she emancipated of course. Luckily it sounds like she is a good girl and you shouldn't have to worry about that. I teach my kids right from wrong, to be compassionate but to stick up for themselves, to be independent and never never to be cruel to anyone..especially someone younger, smaller, or weaker than they are. My 2 year old was saying Please, Thank you, and I'm sorry since he was 1 1/2. Not that saying these things are everything but its a start. Still...I still worry about their teenage years. I do my best to monitor their friends without being over the top because sometimes the best kids get mixed up with the wrong crowd and they get caught up in something bad.

It's not easy being a parent and if the Parents and the Teachers would just work together it would be so much easier.

I've heard alot of crap on this board about teachers who blame parents for everything and parents who have attitudes. I'm tired of Teachers with attitudes to be honest with you. My son during the last school year kept missing the bus home from this one classroom (he had to go to this classroom when his normal teacher had a conference at the end of the day). So the last time I was called out of work to come pick him up I investigated the issue and found out that it was ALWAYS that one class. So I went to speak to the teacher in charge and explained to her (in a very non confrontational manner) that he keeps missing the bus while he is in that class in the afternoon and that I was hoping to work toward a solution of the problem with her because I was going to lose my job if I keep getting called out of work to pick him up. Her response was a snotty "I don't know why the heck he misses it...I can hear the bus announcements just fine!" I looked around the room and her desk was directly in front of the speaker. So I asked her where she housed the visiting kids and she indicated that they stood in the back of the classroom (on the other side of the speaker) against the wall. Then she said "This conversation is over, you can leave!" At no point did I get snappy with her...I was there as a concerned parent, asking questions to figure out why it is that he misses the bus in that class, hoping that she would help me fix the problem.

I know this ended up getting long but its not the first time I've had trouble with Teachers. My nephews teacher told him if he didn't sit down she was going to slap him...my sister in law called the principal and nothing was done, even though there were complaints about this teacher for years. My son had her last year and she tries to humiliate the kids by holding up bad grades and loudly exclaiming in front of the whole class "Look who got a 65 on yesterdays Science Quiz...Suzie, I guess you didn't study this week and you got the grade that you deserved!" Never mind that the material tested may have been a bit more difficult for Suzie that week...maybe she has a learning disability? My point is that you guys make these blanket statements about parents but not all parents are bad or give teachers a hard time. There are just as many bad teachers as there are bad parents.

My nephew is 13 and has never been on a cruise so I know he isn't creating havoc onboard, but he can be a handful sometimes. I don't have kids so I only have the opinion of one who occasionally takes care of them. I think video games and computers have made some kids forget how interact and play without running wild. My nephew thinks it's perfectly acceptable to play his gameboy during dinner because he is allowed to do this at home. I don't allow video games while eating at my house so he gets irritable when I try to have him contribute to a dinner conversation. I get a combination of grunts and monosyllable answers. I'm not entirely sure that he knows what a real conversation is - he doesn't understand why he has to talk to someone when he can e-mail or IM. He does okay when involved in an activity like bowling, movies, baseball games, etc. He just doesn't seem to know how to act when he is either not being told what to do or does not have an electronic device in his hands. I have never seen him being malicious, but I am sure that if he was with a group of unsupervised kids that thought running through hallways, etc., was fun, he'd join them.

...the booze on? That may be one reason for that rule.

That rule exists for one reason and one reason only: The Cruise Line wants you to buy your booze from them. It's all about the money. Anyone who doesn't think so is a sheep.

Back on topic: Last December I went on a cruise with my family. We had Santa signs on our doors with our names on it. This was helpfull to my 83-year-old father who "gets confused" sometimes. I once caught a teen ager messing with the sign on my parents' door. I stepped up quickly, got right in his face and hissed at him "You little mother ______! I catch you touching anything on anyone's door again I'm going to rip-off your ____, shove them down your throat, then throw you into the ocean." to which the little amart-ass responded, as he was shaking in his boots, "you can't talk to me like that." to which I responded "what you gonna do? tell someone? go ahead, I'll just deny it you little f____."

That's the problem with kids today: they've not been back-handed enough.

Actually at 15 YOU will pay the consequences. Until she's 18 you are responsible legally for her actions...unless she emancipated of course. Luckily it sounds like she is a good girl and you shouldn't have to worry about that. I teach my kids right from wrong, to be compassionate but to stick up for themselves, to be independent and never never to be cruel to anyone..especially someone younger, smaller, or weaker than they are. My 2 year old was saying Please, Thank you, and I'm sorry since he was 1 1/2. Not that saying these things are everything but its a start. Still...I still worry about their teenage years. I do my best to monitor their friends without being over the top because sometimes the best kids get mixed up with the wrong crowd and they get caught up in something bad.

Never used the quote thing b/4 hope it worked:o

I'm right with you on all of this. If I have consequences to pay (assuming we're talking legal) so will she. Either way she is ultimately making choices (as we all do) knowing what could or should happen. If she breaks a rule, whether it be legal or moral, she will pay the consequence. I pray every day she makes the right choices. I remind her daily to be safe, respectable, and responsible. I have worked on the foundation of that for 15 years, I've modelred it and reinforced it.

There ia certainly some question to some parental skills. I feel lucky I went to college for 2 1/2 years studying early childhood because I have used so many of the skills I learned. I often wonder what or how i would of gotten thru those terrible twos:eek: I think anyone who is going to parent a child should take some sort of parenting course. Kinda like lamaz (sp?) birthing classes. or how about reading a book, a good one that explains why teenagers are the way they are today is "get out of my life, but first could you drive me and cheryl to the mall"

Guess I fell into the thread here:p So maybe the purpose for me would be to hear what others think and express my own opinions, and reinforfce for myself not to judge others. That we all have our strenghth and weaknesses, maybe sharing helps. Raising children is one of THE hardest things to do, I wish everyone the strenghth and knowledge to it the best thay can:)

These aren't kids, they're young adults. No excuses for their behavior. Parents should parent and the cruiseline should ensure rules are being upheld.

I disagree. Teens are NOT young adults. They're teens -- not children, not yet adults -- and they still need a significant amount of guidance and discipline from their parents. When we tell them they're "young adults", that gives the idea that they share many of the same privledges as adults. Drinking, for one example. I'd be willing to bet that many of the things you described wouldn't have happened if these kids hadn't been drinking.

Parents who don't want to parent on vacation should leave their children at home.

That rule exists for one reason and one reason only: The Cruise Line wants you to buy your booze from them. It's all about the money. Anyone who doesn't think so is a sheep.

While I agree that it's all about money from the cruiseline's point of view, I also think that having alcohol sitting around the cabin makes it much easier for teens to help themselves.

I stepped up quickly, got right in his face and hissed at him "You little mother ______! I catch you touching anything on anyone's door again I'm going to rip-off your ____, shove them down your throat, then throw you into the ocean." to which the little amart-ass responded, as he was shaking in his boots, "you can't talk to me like that." to which I responded "what you gonna do? tell someone? go ahead, I'll just deny it you little f____."

What an example you set for him.

Any bets if their parents (or maybe even the kids) smuggled the booze on? That may be one reason for that rule.

That's one possibility. That still doesn't excuse RCCL . They should do something about underage intoxication. It sounds like the minors inebriated conditions were obvious to all. Security should have taken action and called parents to be responsible for their drunken kids- maybe even put the whole family off the ship.

None the less, after reading on these boards about the terrible conditions the staff works and lives under, they would be more than willing to throw an underage cruiser a cocktail for a few bucks.

It's always interesting for me (in my 40's) to read about how, "It wasn't this way in my day," or "My parents would have tanned my hide good if I'd have done that." Well, I suppose we all have either awfully selective memories or we like to forget about the mischief we, or others around us, caused in our "day."

I've been told numerous stories about out-houses that have been moved. One such story involved a farmer whose outhouse was messed with so much, he had it moved one foot forward so that the boys causing the trouble ended up IN the pit when then tried to knock it over again.

I also recall stories of back sides being found by rock salt from shot guns while attempting to steal produce from the farmers fields (watermellons, apples, peaches and such). These kids (now well into their 60's) were stealing a farmers livelyhood.

I also recall countless stories of school vandalism throught the years and took part in a few "raids" on our arch enemies campuses as well, never really thinking about "damage."

One of my friends favorite things to do with a group of his chronies in high school (different school than mine) was to pick up a teachers VW Beetle and turn it so he could not get it out of it's parking space until the cars beside his moved. At one point they managed to move the entire car to a location that it could not be removed from without enlisting the help of a number of able bodied persons to lift the car out of it's tight spot.

Teachers and schools? Well, that's another story. I'm am VERY glad my children are through school. Our eldest was taugth how to call social services if he felt he was being "mistreated" at home. When he didn't get his way, he'd routinely threaten to call them in a vain attempt to get us to "let him live his own life."

He took up smoking, something we were dead set against, before he was 18. He turned 18 his last year in school. Without his permission or his knowledge, the school administration broke into his truck (they admitted as much) and discovered a pack of cigarettes in the truck. They were going to suspend him until I pointed out the city ordance prohibiting smoking in and around public office buildings and offered to take video of such offences and press charges against the offenders. If they had caught him with cigarettes in school, that was one thing. But the boy did NOT take them into school and had them locked up in his truck.

On several occasions I had to take the childrens school work back up to the school to prove the had, in fact, turned it in. The teachers were failing them for not turning in assignments that had already been graded, just not recorded by the teachers. One such assignment was the "major" assignment for the grading period. The teacher INSISTED the work was not turned in and the boy would be failed (art class). I had to walk the teacher down the hall and show her the work, which was hanging in the hallway, with the grade of A on it in her own handwritting.

I could go on but why? The failure is society as a whole IMO. From the time of earliest recorded human history up unitl now, children have misbehaved despite the punishment we so fondly remember from our own youth. Disrespectful children have been a problem, not so qualifed education personel have been sitting behind the teachers desk and "unqualified" parents have continued to have children.

The problem will never end and we as a people must learn to either live with it or learn how best to deal with it in our own corner of the world.

I will just say this.. Its not teachers fault, cruise workers fault. etc on how our kids behave. The biggest teacher is suppose to be the PARENTS. They are the ones who are suppose to teach right from wrong. It all comes down to the parents. I don't care what anyone says but it starts at home. I am in favore of some corporal punishment, I am not saying beaten kids. It has to be taught at a younger age. A minor slap on the hands or butt, I don't consider abuse. Teens are harder. What do we do punish them, send them to thier room, whats in that room? Tv's, Computer, phones, etc. Parents need to say NO to thier kids more often, instead of giving in because they don't want to hear the whining. Be the Parent, be the one in control.

I was a kid once to, I tried smoking, I hookied school got into some mischief, But I never took some poor ladies wheelchair or break other people's property. I still repected other people.

I can overlook the envelope swapping on doors. Its kids being kids. but like I said I was disgusted with what they did with the wheelchair and damaging property.

Well, we can't be with our kids 24/7, so hopefully, what we have taught them will carry them through their time away from us. My DH and I have always believed that discipline starts in the crib, teaching right from wrong from the very beginning.

I have a hard time when I'm in public and a parent doesn't do anything, or tries to appease an unruly child. Take the kid away from the area and let them know that their behavior is unnaceptable. Do this repeatedly, until about the age of 8 or 9 and they will undoubtably learn how to manage this on their own. It's a long, hard, boring road, but the parent who disciplines while they are young will have a much easier time with a teen. If you think you can start discipline with a adolescent or teen, you're way too late.

Perhaps we are lucky, hopefully what we have worked toward has been accomplished, but our kids do not behave this way in public. We have not spanked, or back-handed as some have suggested, because we feel that is only teaching that violence is an acceptable way of handling frustration. There are other means to discipline a child without resorting to corporal punishment. BTW, our kids do not have phones, computers, televisions and game consoles in their rooms.

I work at a school and to suggest that it is somehow the responsibility of the teachers to mold the childs discipline is ludicrous. They are a part of the process, certainly, but the big part of the job lies squarely on the backs of the parents.

Finally, I highly doubt, that if you were a fellow pax and yelling at these obnoxious, ill mannered and reckless kids and teens, that they would give you their names and cabin numbers. Better to report the incident and hope the staff can find the brats parent or guardian.

I was on this cruise too, on deck nine aft. There were 25 fifteen year old girls celebrating their "quincenera" during this time, one family we spoke to had 54 members along for the occasion. I caught some younger ones pushing all the buttons on the elevators, and gave them a talk about courtesy. They just ran off. There seemed to be more problem children towards the end, in my opinion. In our party we had 2 17 YO girls, 1 16 YO boy and 2 in their early 20s, plus my grandson who is only 4 1/2 months. The girls spent their time either hanging out at the pool or taking turns strolling the baby around. They themselves remarked how dumb some of the kids were acting and wondered where the parents were.

Back on topic: Last December I went on a cruise with my family. We had Santa signs on our doors with our names on it. This was helpfull to my 83-year-old father who "gets confused" sometimes. I once caught a teen ager messing with the sign on my parents' door. I stepped up quickly, got right in his face and hissed at him "You little mother ______! I catch you touching anything on anyone's door again I'm going to rip-off your ____, shove them down your throat, then throw you into the ocean." to which the little amart-ass responded, as he was shaking in his boots, "you can't talk to me like that." to which I responded "what you gonna do? tell someone? go ahead, I'll just deny it you little f____."

I'd be pissed if kids took my door decos, too. On one hand, your reponse seems extreme (language, threats of violence), but OTOH, what else gets through to these delinquent kids?? Our neighbor's son threatened my DH week before last, "How'd you like a 17-year old to kick your a**, mother******" when we yelled at their barking dogs to shut up (at 10 pm). My DH is 6'3" and 265lbs and muscular - the kid had no clue about the potential consequences of his actions!! We ignored him, took the high road, but in retrospect should have called the police. OTOH, his parents weren't home (and are worse than he is anyway), so it wouldn't have done any good. So maybe physical intimidation is all that gets through these days?? Scary.

but first, on the topic: parents do need to control their kids. When on a vacation, or in public, or at home, parents should set guidelines and tell the kids what the consequences of negative behavior will be, then, if need be, follow through!

Next spring will be our 2 daughters' first cruise, and we have already been discussing misbehaviors with them--especially the ones we have read about where the kids' behavior resulted in the family being kicked off the ship.

I am one of those people who correct children I don't even know when they are acting inappropriately in public places. Just yesterday in Wal Mart, I saw a child (maybe 9 or 10 years old) take something off a shelf and drop it on the floor and walk away. There was not an adult around...so, yes, I did correct the child, in the same manner that I would correct my own child...adults should NEVER look the other way when children or teenagers act in ways that are unacceptable...

It's not easy being a parent and if the Parents and the Teachers would just work together it would be so much easier. .

This is so true...however (in my experience, there are many parents who do not support teachers. This needs to be a reciprocal relationship...parents and teachers should work together...we really are in it together, whether we acknowledge it or not!

I've heard alot of crap on this board about teachers who blame parents for everything and parents who have attitudes. I'm tired of Teachers with attitudes to be honest with you. My son during the last school year kept missing the bus home from this one classroom (he had to go to this classroom when his normal teacher had a conference at the end of the day). So the last time I was called out of work to come pick him up I investigated the issue and found out that it was ALWAYS that one class. So I went to speak to the teacher in charge and explained to her (in a very non confrontational manner) that he keeps missing the bus while he is in that class in the afternoon and that I was hoping to work toward a solution of the problem with her because I was going to lose my job if I keep getting called out of work to pick him up. Her response was a snotty "I don't know why the heck he misses it...I can hear the bus announcements just fine!" I looked around the room and her desk was directly in front of the speaker. So I asked her where she housed the visiting kids and she indicated that they stood in the back of the classroom (on the other side of the speaker) against the wall. Then she said "This conversation is over, you can leave!" At no point did I get snappy with her...I was there as a concerned parent, asking questions to figure out why it is that he misses the bus in that class, hoping that she would help me fix the problem.

I hope that you reported this problem to the principal...also, I am sure you realize that not all teachers act like this...

I know this ended up getting long but its not the first time I've had trouble with Teachers. My nephew's teacher told him if he didn't sit down she was going to slap him...my sister-in-law called the principal, and nothing was done, even though there were complaints about this teacher for years.

Now, in this case, I certainly hope that the complaints did not stop with the principal...when a principal does not address this kind of problem, it is time to take it to the school board level. Don't stop with the school building level administration. This type of language from a teacher is inappropriate and definitely must be addressed...if this is a continuing problem, the teacher needs to be reprimanded and trained in proper handling of students...maybe even removed from the classroom!

My son had her last year and she tries to humiliate the kids by holding up bad grades and loudly exclaiming in front of the whole class "Look who got a 65 on yesterdays Science Quiz...Suzie, I guess you didn't study this week and you got the grade that you deserved!" Never mind that the material tested may have been a bit more difficult for Suzie that week...maybe she has a learning disability? My point is that you guys make these blanket statements about parents but not all parents are bad or give teachers a hard time. There are just as many bad teachers as there are bad parents.

This is also inappropriate and it is also a breach of privacy!! In my state, this is illegal!

Now, I would hope that there are not as many bad teachers as bad parents, because there are way more parents out there...so maybe the percentage of bad parents is related to the percentage of bad teachers???

I am a teacher, and I can honestly say that I have heard of VERY few "bad" teachers in my school system. I live in a small area, so believe me, I would have heard about the teachers if they acted in the above ways...and in my system, the above mentioned teacher behaviors are NOT tolerated. Teachers are reprimanded, and training is given to address how to treat students...in some rare cases I have heard about the removal of a teacher in my state.

I love the days when parents or grandparents come to school to help or go on field trips with the class...I always hear the comment, "I could never be a teacher." It is a challenging job, but it is also an important job, just as important as parenting.:)

--Susan

On our recent cruise, only twice did I have to reprimand teens. Once were the elevator hoppers that hit all of the buttons and get in and out. I told them if they didn't get out of my elevator I was going to kick their ass.

The second was in the windjammer. I saw a teen pick up a cookie, look at it, then put it back on the tray. I told him to take it and then asked him what he was thinking. He just gave me a blank look. What an idiot.

BTW, I can't understand why so many parents bring their young teens on a cruise. Most of them aren't causing any real trouble, they are just running around bored because they have nothing better to do. I know I would have hated being stuck on a boat for a week when I was that age. Most teens simply do not get any enjoyment out of relaxing, art auctions, etc. Those are adult-style activities. The on-ship activities they offer for teens probably wouldn't have interested me much either. So, they are left with nothing but hours of free time and the pool probably gets old pretty quickly.

So, part of the problem are parents who do not know their children well enough to know they will not have a good time or are not considerate enough and just bring them along anyway because they themselves want to go on a cruise and they have nothing else to do with their kids but bring them. Then once on board, they just selfishly turn them loose so that the parents can spend time doing what they want to do. If they bring their kids on vacation, they should spend time with them and make sure that they take the time to do activities that interest their children. Dragging your kids on vacation and then expecting them to entertain themselves is selfish.

BTW, I can't understand why so many parents bring their young teens on a cruise. Most of them aren't causing any real trouble, they are just running around bored because they have nothing better to do. I know I would have hated being stuck on a boat for a week when I was that age.

(snip)

So, part of the problem are parents who do not know their children well enough to know they will not have a good time or are not considerate enough and just bring them along anyway because they themselves want to go on a cruise and they have nothing else to do with their kids but bring them.

Our experience is completely different. My kids love cruising and have more than enough activities to keep them occupied when on board (twin 17 yr old). They have now been on 5 or 6 cruises and when we last offered them a choice between the Orlando theme parks and a cruise, they were extremely vocal about their preference for a cruise. Infact, one of my kids won the Miss Carmen Maranda contest on our cruise this past Dec and that sure made this old mans heart proud ;)

-Monte

-Monte

Our experience is completely different. My kids love cruising and have more than enough activities to keep them occupied when on board (twin 17 yr old). They have now been on 5 or 6 cruises and when we last offered them a choice between the Orlando theme parks and a cruise, they were extremely vocal about their preference for a cruise. Infact, one of my kids won the Miss Carmen Maranda contest on our cruise this past Dec and that sure made this old mans heart proud ;)

-Monte

-Monte

They are in the minority. Plus, they are old enough to start being able to appreciate adult activities.

Hey Firstcruise05...

Blaming the teachers makes you look absolutely ridiculous! I am a teacher and I am going to print your post and share it with my peers. We always get a kick out of the "blamers" in our society!

Of course it is the teacher's fault when the parents give up on their marriage right? Of course it is! :confused:

Stop blaming teachers and start embracing them. Naturally there are your select poor teachers but for every bad one, you will find 20 terrific teachers who sacrifice a lot everyday to mold our future doctors, lawyers and even cruise directors!

They are in the minority. Plus, they are old enough to start being able to appreciate adult activities.

They were preteens when they took their first cruise (and they loved it then). Sorry but we missed the poll about teens enjoying or not enjoying cruises.

-Monte

Guest OBAYbee

Way to pass along the holiday spirit. What a mouth on you. IMO your behavior was just as much out of line as those removing the "Santa" from your door, actually your behavior was worse. You're an adult and should know better. Had I been the parents I would have grounded my kids for life and then headed over to your cabin and ask you where do you get off using language like that on a child. Shame on you!

Archived