Parents Need to Control thier Kids.

I Just got back from Explorer Jun 19-26. I never seen kids 15-18 so drunk and boozed up and causing problems. And before we say its the Cruise workers fault, its ultimately the parents fault for not being able to control thier kids. I was on deck 9 aft and the Kids stole a womans wheelchair twice. She was in tears and on the hallway floor the second time they took it. Someone also shattered a glass casing on my deck also. I would think adults wouldn't have done this. Also the envelopes they hang outside of some peoples cabins for tickets and appointments etc. were now on the wrong cabins. I took some of them and put them back to the correct cabins. There

were other happenings also.

So you parents who say its not my kids. Look again, it could be. Why are parents allowing thier teens to run amuck is beyond me. I have to wonder now who the parents are, Them or thier kids.

So watch what your teens are buying on thier cards. Watch your porfolio on the tv. Then you won't have any surprises.

enough said.

That is absolutely horrible. I hope you called security about these incidents. I'm hoping to avoid all that by going the beginning of September. It's the beginning of school for most kids so the teenagers should be at a minumum.

I guarantee you that if mine did any of those asonine things you stated in your post, I would wear them up one side and down the next! They would have NO charging priveleges, and would be beside me the rest of the cruise! Then the fun would continue when we got home, because if they were old enough to work they would until they paid me off for their portion of the cruise. And they wouldn't have to worry about coming along on another one, either! UGH! The part about the wheelchair REALLY disgusts me...these are NARCISSTIC (sp?) behaviors, at best! The sad thing is if they can do that on a cruise ship you can bet they can/have done it on land. Disgusting.

Jen

Bosjoe, I'm so sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. Unfortunately, unwieldy children that have not been given the boundaries between what's right and what's wrong and have not been taught how to respect others give kids a bad name. I can't even begin to fathom that there is a child so cruel as to take someone's wheelchair. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I wonder who is really in charge in a case like that. Some people are just too eager to let their kids be someone else's problem...they don't want to be bothered...they're on vacation!

Call me bossy and nosy but whenever I see children out of line, especially disrespecting our elders, I don't and won't stand for it. I don't care who it is. I would have yelled at all those kids to stop and started asking them their names and room and told all of them i would report it to the security.

I understand people on vacation don't want to bother other people, but sometimes somone needs to stick their nose in. :eek:

Call me bossy and nosy but whenever I see children out of line, especially disrespecting our elders, I don't and won't stand for it. I don't care who it is. I would have yelled at all those kids to stop and started asking them their names and room and told all of them i would report it to the security.

I understand people on vacation don't want to bother other people, but sometimes somone needs to stick their nose in. :eek:

I'm with you. If ALL adults who witnessed such poor behavior would do the above security would'nt be needed. As a school psychologist I can tell you the fault lies with the parents who either will not or can not place restrictions on their children to act appropriately. If you think cruises are bad, try working at a school. Although the majority of kids are well behaved, the number of children that get in trouble followed by the parents excuses why their child should not be punished are too numerous to list. I've dealt with students that have caused major school vandalism only to be met at the students meeting with an attorney hired by the parents. The results is what you expect, no consequences, no remorse, back at school as if nothing happened.

On the other hand, which of the incidents did the OP actually witness being done by kids? Other than the wheelchair story, which speaks for itself as being the work of someone seriously disturbed, kid or adult; the others sound as if there is mere conjecture that it was teenagers and not others.

I'm interested to know which of those events the OP actually saw teens do. The wheelchair theft? The glass casing? The envelope switching?

I was on the Explorer June 5 and didn't see any drunk teens - nor have I on any other cruise. Not to say it doesn't happen. And not to stick up for errant teenagers! But I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on "I would think adults wouldn't have done this".

These aren't kids, they're young adults. No excuses for their behavior. Parents should parent and the cruiseline should ensure rules are being upheld.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there was little the cruiseline could do. If the teens were being served and were underage, the cruiseline has some responsibility in the matter too. It sounds like RCCL has to start enforcing "suggested" rules and stated ones. Maybe if enough minors and those supplying them with alcohol (both bartenders and "friends" buying for them) were thrown off the ship, there would be fewer problems.

We had a friend who's son got totally plastered on a vacation. Seems the bartenders were more than happy to serve the 15 year old sans and i.d. Money talks.

That is absolutely horrible. I hope you called security about these incidents. I'm hoping to avoid all that by going the beginning of September. It's the beginning of school for most kids so the teenagers should be at a minumum.

Security was up there the second time it happened. The first time I caught the beginner when the womans cabin mate was disturbed and talking loudly to the cabin stewards and some other workers.

The wheelchair incident disturbed me the most. I Know kids can be unrulely, but that was totally disgusting for them to do that to that woman.

This was my 5th cruise, First time with so many teens onboard. I still enjoyed myself. But I always got to think do parents know what thier children are up to. On the last night I was on my way up to Dizzy's Jazz Club on the elevator. Deck 12 with the Arcade the doors open up. The couldn't decide to either stay in the elevator so after 2 times open and closing the door, I said either get out or stay on, this is not a game. She got out and gave me a dirty look. The old couple next to me was in disgust of the teens. They commented and said we were never brought up like that. I agreeded and said my mother would have grabbed me by my neck. and gave me the riot act.

WOW! Everyone is pretty passtionate about this subject. There's another thread just like it!

Are we bashing unruly kids or their unqualified parents? And does it really serve any purpose...just asking!

WOW! Everyone is pretty passtionate about this subject. There's another thread just like it!

Are we bashing unruly kids or their unqualified parents? And does it really serve any purpose...just asking!

MAO, is it possible for you to change the size of your font? It is soooooo tiny I have a hard time seeing it. Not to offend you in anyway, and I enjoy your opinion, but I can barely see it.:) It's like a size 1....

So it's hard for these 40-something eyes to see it. I do have high rez, so maybe it's me? :D ;)

Sure no problem but it is actually set at 2, this is three!?! I have 40 something eyes too:) Not sure maybe I was speaking too quietly cuz I figure someone will say something to my comment;)

Sure no problem but it is actually set at 2, this is three!?! I have 40 something eyes too:) Not sure maybe I was speaking too quietly cuz I figure someone will say something to my comment;)

Haha, thank you. Maybe it's my settings too, but every time you post, I have to go get the readers.....dontcha just hate that?;) :D

mbisson, good point and one to ponder...but still I ask are serving any purpose?

I count myself lucky when my teenager follows all I've taught her, but I am not always there. At fifteen she will make some choices that I will disagree with and possible some that will get her in trouble. She'll pay the consequences! However, I try not to judge others, since I don't know all the details.

The wheelchair thing is beyond bad behavior it is criminal...sick. And I'll leave it at that:)

mbisson, good point and one to ponder...but still I ask are serving any purpose?

]

Actually, other than just purely information (and sometimes fictional entertainment) is there any purpose to anything on any boards?

-Monte

This is slightly off topic - but the comment about "unqualified" parents made me think of it...I am a teacher, and a couple years back there was a newspaper article in our local paper - the headline read.....Teachers and declining test scores responsible for the decline of civilization.....As I'm sure you can imagine, we as teachers had a few choice words in response to this article....my favorite was that if we are in fact responsible for the decline of civilization - first of all to have that much power, we should be getting paid better...but most importantly we should have the power then to correct the problem by determining which parents should no longer be allowed to procreate and which students shouldn't be allowed to procreate in the future! ;) This was just a private conversation in our teacher's lounge, but we're tired of being blamed for "unqualified" parents....

Seriously though....our school has been thinking of implementing a "parenting" class for parents of students who are repeat offenders of school rules, bullies, or just the disrespectful/unruly sort...food for thought!

Hi all:

I would be mortified if my son did any of those things. It's a complete reflection of the parental upbringing in my opinion.

We are planning our first cruise together as a family (my son will be almost 19) and I would kick his you know what if I ever, ever got wind of behavior like that. It's deplorable.

It only takes one rotten apple to mess the crop.

D

These aren't kids, they're young adults. No excuses for their behavior. Parents should parent and the cruiseline should ensure rules are being upheld.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there was little the cruiseline could do. If the teens were being served and were underage, the cruiseline has some responsibility in the matter too. It sounds like RCCL has to start enforcing "suggested" rules and stated ones. Maybe if enough minors and those supplying them with alcohol (both bartenders and "friends" buying for them) were thrown off the ship, there would be fewer problems.

We had a friend who's son got totally plastered on a vacation. Seems the bartenders were more than happy to serve the 15 year old sans and i.d. Money talks.

Any bets if their parents (or maybe even the kids) smuggled the booze on? That may be one reason for that rule.

RCI ENFORCE RULES! :eek: I don't think they have it in them. I'm sure those same parents, willing to hire attorneys to defend their child's ill classroom behavior, would do the same after having their late night bar crawl disrupted by the captain wanting to discuss Timmy's poor onboard behavior with them.

I guess I'm really surprised to hear of such poor behavior at all. Seriously, with all the devices out their for mom and dad to shove in their kids face and plug into their ears you would find it difficult to believe they even had time to perform such acts. This would require a lot on the child's part. They would have to turn off the MP3 player, pause the gamebox/Sony Playstation, and even leave the room! I don't know if this is possible. On second thought, it is the parents fault...for not bringing enough batteries :)

Archived