Looks like I need to postpone my trip and I'm inside the 45 days.

bizeemom4

How is this a wake up call for anything? I think you are missing the point that some people choose to self-insure. That is a perfectly reasonable decision (if you can afford to cover incidents which may arise), just as buying insurance is also a perfectly reasonable decision.

I have been on some 30 cruises and many times that on land vacations, and have never purchased insurance. Nor have I ever needed it. At this point I am thousands of dollars ahead. Unfortunately, my cruising days are ending, but if I had to cover a large uninsured loss, I would probably still be way ahead. I don't see how the occasional necessity to cancel demonstrates anything in terms of choosing to insure or not to insure. It is one of the risks one accepts when choosing not to insure.

I agree that this can be a wake-up call for some. I have no problem with people deciding to self insure. What I do have a problem with is people declining insurance, something happens, and then they ask what can be done so they don't suffer a financial loss.

I know it sounds cold-hearted, but it is not fair to those of us that buy insurance for any cruise line to not follow their own cancellation policy

On a side note, a few years ago, we had to cancel for an uncovered reason (death outside the family). It was an expensive trip - a suite and airfare for everyone. I had purchased the cancel for any reason coverage so we got 75% back. The 25% we were out was a significant amount. But I didn't whine or complain because 75% was what I was entitled to by my policy. If I hadn't bought the any reason coverage, we would have been out the entire amount.

We just went through basically the same thing. We had to cancel a month before because our best friends, who were travelling with, the husband needed valve replacement. Of course we had taken out the insurance. Carnival reimbursed 1/2 of what we paid and the insurance reimbursed 1/2 of the balance. It was a very easy process. Sadly, our friend never made it home from the hospital. We only ended up losing a few hundred dollars.

I read your posts. Enjoy them Don't agree with you here but usually do. love that dog. We have one named RATTIE aka The Money Pit.

Thanks! :D It's a good thing not to agree on everything. Otherwise this board would be a bit boring. :)

Our dog Tapi is such a blessing to our family. She's been with us since we got married 10 years ago, so she's been a part of all of our milestones, including the arrival of our 2 children. She's starting to slow down and get gray hair, but she's still going strong.

I agree that this can be a wake-up call for some. I have no problem with people deciding to self insure. What I do have a problem with is people declining insurance, something happens, and then they ask what can be done so they don't suffer a financial loss.

I know it sounds cold-hearted, but it is not fair to those of us that buy insurance for any cruise line to not follow their own cancellation policy

On a side note, a few years ago, we had to cancel for an uncovered reason (death outside the family). It was an expensive trip - a suite and airfare for everyone. I had purchased the cancel for any reason coverage so we got 75% back. The 25% we were out was a significant amount. But I didn't whine or complain because 75% was what I was entitled to by my policy. If I hadn't bought the any reason coverage, we would have been out the entire amount.

I don't disagree with you, D4. Well, maybe the wake-up call bit. But the rest, I agree that if you choose to self-insure, anything you receive back from the cruise line you should be grateful for, and what you lose, that is what you should accept as a self-insurer.

One of my friend's mother received the same diagnosis when my friend was 10 years old. His mother lived to see him graduate from High School, college, and get married.

Get the family together and talk about whether you should go on the cruise or not. They'll give you better answers than any of us here. Whatever you choose, don't stop living waiting for your MIL's final day.

About Carnival:

-If you talked to an agent who gave you erroneous information about making the change without penalty, there's not a single supervisor who will honor that agent's mistake.

- Although there's a lot of people who want to think that Carnival will act compassionately on a case by case basis, think again. They are a large corporation with black and white rules to be applied equally to all guests. If they make an exception with one guest, then it's a slap in the face to all the other guest who may be in similar situations and who don't get the rules bent for them. It's also a slap in the face to passengers who buy insurance to protect themselves specifically for situations like this.

Don't want to be cold hearted, but I want to lay this out to you because this is what you can most likely expect from Carnival

I wish..... :rolleyes:

I agree with others who have already posted - and wish they were more consistent. But in reality......Carnival is famous for making exceptions - or not enforcing - all kinds of "rules" in all kinds of situations! :cool:

Archived