Looks like I need to postpone my trip and I'm inside the 45 days.

bizeemom4

I would call Carnival too, as many other have said. When I just wanted to switch my room after I changed my cruise (the aft on the Conquest was not like the one I booked on the fascination) I was told I couldn't do it by two different agents, because it was a downgrade. One got her manager on the phone, and she did it for me! Yay! Hopefully that will give you a credit! I have you and your family in my prayers!

We had the same situation when we booked out cruise. My MIL ended up passing last month. When we booked our upcoming cruise, my DH talked to our PVP about the situation. At the time, we didn't get the insurance, she said the closer we got, if we had to change there would be a fee. We ended up getting the insurance on the last day we could, but my MIL took a very quick turn and passed about 2 weeks after us getting the insurance. Prayers with you and your family. Cancer is horrible and my MIL went from walking and talking on Sunday to passing on Saturday.

Call CCL and explain the situation, I think there will be a charge of some sort.

My husband is not booked on the trip. The vacation is a girls trip for my daughter and I to celebrate her graduation from Penn State and to relax before she starts law school two days after we return.

My husband said not to cancel. "Just go and enjoy the girl time because you won't have that chance once she starts school again." So I guess I'll keep it and not press them to reschedule. There's a chance we would miss her funeral if she were to pass away while we are gone.

I appreciate all the helpful and supportive comments.

You definately have my sympathies.

This next part will sound cold hearted,,, but here goes..

Let us know how Carnival handles this. If they go outside policy,,, maybe I'll just have to call and cancel my insurance. Why should I pay insurance for things like this, if the cruiseline is going to waive policy anyway.

I believe there is a HUGE difference in them waiving their policy when someone has a family member that has died or is dying and say you breaking a leg or missing your flight or whatever other reasons the insurance covers.

As for the OP, I agree with your husband. You are celebrating a huge accomplishment with your daughter. I don't know what your MIL situation is but I'm hoping for her she isn't in pain, if she is I hope she finds peace soon. And who knows she may beat the odds and live for months to come. I hope you and your daughter enjoy your cruise as much as possible!

I believe there is a HUGE difference in them waiving their policy when someone has a family member that has died or is dying and say you breaking a leg or missing your flight or whatever other reasons the insurance covers.

As for the OP, I agree with your husband. You are celebrating a huge accomplishment with your daughter. I don't know what your MIL situation is but I'm hoping for her she isn't in pain, if she is I hope she finds peace soon. And who knows she may beat the odds and live for months to come. I hope you and your daughter enjoy your cruise as much as possible!

Thank you.

My doctors said that they can't pinpoint it but it could be 6 days or 6 weeks.

One of my friend's mother received the same diagnosis when my friend was 10 years old. His mother lived to see him graduate from High School, college, and get married.

Get the family together and talk about whether you should go on the cruise or not. They'll give you better answers than any of us here. Whatever you choose, don't stop living waiting for your MIL's final day.

About Carnival:

-If you talked to an agent who gave you erroneous information about making the change without penalty, there's not a single supervisor who will honor that agent's mistake.

- Although there's a lot of people who want to think that Carnival will act compassionately on a case by case basis, think again. They are a large corporation with black and white rules to be applied equally to all guests. If they make an exception with one guest, then it's a slap in the face to all the other guest who may be in similar situations and who don't get the rules bent for them. It's also a slap in the face to passengers who buy insurance to protect themselves specifically for situations like this.

Don't want to be cold hearted, but I want to lay this out to you because this is what you can most likely expect from Carnival

I am also sorry to hear about MIL but don't give up hope. My grandmother was given 30 days and they suggested Hospice in April. My parents considered canceling a trip to China. She is doing great still and we have yet to call Hospice. She is in a nursing home but she can now feed her self, knows everyone, goes on outings, there are times she is confused but she is 93 and hanging In there.

Some children need to be there for their parents, whether the parents want them to change their plans or not.

Wishing you a peaceful passage on your upcoming voyage.

You make a good point. And thank you.

I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's prognosis. I know given the same circumstances, I would have a tough time deciding what is best to do as well (though I imagine my mom telling me to go ). Is it too late to purchase some type of trip insurance, just in the event something happens before or during your trip?

I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's prognosis. I know given the same circumstances, I would have a tough time deciding what is best to do as well (though I imagine my mom telling me to go ). Is it too late to purchase some type of trip insurance, just in the event something happens before or during your trip?

Yes, it's too late. This would be excluded because it occurred before I bought it so it's a pre-existing condition.

One of my friend's mother received the same diagnosis when my friend was 10 years old. His mother lived to see him graduate from High School, college, and get married.

Get the family together and talk about whether you should go on the cruise or not. They'll give you better answers than any of us here. Whatever you choose, don't stop living waiting for your MIL's final day.

About Carnival:

-If you talked to an agent who gave you erroneous information about making the change without penalty, there's not a single supervisor who will honor that agent's mistake.

- Although there's a lot of people who want to think that Carnival will act compassionately on a case by case basis, think again. They are a large corporation with black and white rules to be applied equally to all guests. If they make an exception with one guest, then it's a slap in the face to all the other guest who may be in similar situations and who don't get the rules bent for them. It's also a slap in the face to passengers who buy insurance to protect themselves specifically for situations like this.

Don't want to be cold hearted, but I want to lay this out to you because this is what you can most likely expect from Carnival

They also know that members go on Cruise Critic and tell their stories of how sad their situation is...death is always sad...and then how AWFUL CArnival treated them.

Carnival spends millions on Public Relations.....to have them deny a change in the case of death..CArnival will do the right thing. If not..come here....We all drop a bundle on Carnival..and if it is a real tragedy....I would book on another cruise line. When members of one's family are dying...One should not have to worry about having your money held for a few months until you can cruise.

I read your posts. Enjoy them Don't agree with you here but usually do. love that dog. We have one named RATTIE aka The Money Pit. A dog who was diagnosed by the Vet as being.."allergic to Florida. Period. Everything here. Or most of it." Very expensive. Of couse....we love the dog.....much, much, much. He lays on his back a lot...expecting a belly rub. Which he gets.

They also know that members go on Cruise Critic and tell their stories of how sad their situation is...death is always sad...and then how AWFUL CArnival treated them.

Carnival spends millions on Public Relations.....to have them deny a change in the case of death..CArnival will do the right thing. If not..come here....We all drop a bundle on Carnival..and if it is a real tragedy....I would book on another cruise line. When members of one's family are dying...One should not have to worry about having your money held for a few months until you can cruise.

I read your posts. Enjoy them Don't agree with you here but usually do. love that dog. We have one named RATTIE aka The Money Pit. A dog who was diagnosed by the Vet as being.."allergic to Florida. Period. Everything here. Or most of it." Very expensive. Of couse....we love the dog.....much, much, much. He lays on his back a lot...expecting a belly rub. Which he gets.

I feel for the OP's situation, but I don't think Carnival should do anything. The OP could have purchased trip insurance but chose not to. They gambled, lost, and now have to face the consequences of their decision. When a cruise lines makes exceptions, that raises the cost of cruise fares for everyone.

We've bought trip insurance for all of our cruises and trips outside the USA. I almost always buy the cancel for any reason option (increases my insurance cost by 50%.) I'm choosing not to gamble and I gladly pay for my decision.

I feel for the OP's situation, but I don't think Carnival should do anything. The OP could have purchased trip insurance but chose not to. They gambled, lost, and now have to face the consequences of their decision. When a cruise lines makes exceptions, that raises the cost of cruise fares for everyone.

We've bought trip insurance for all of our cruises and trips outside the USA. I almost always buy the cancel for any reason option (increases my insurance cost by 50%.) I'm choosing not to gamble and I gladly pay for my decision.

I agree, especially for the OP's family situation.

However, choosing not to purchase insurance was a risk the OP was willing to take.

It's virtually impossible now days to purchase a trip through an airline website, a 3rd party travel website, a cruiseline website, or directly from a TA without having to check a box expressly for the purpose to decline insurance.

If people choose to self insure,,, that's OK. They know the risk and accept it.

This could be the OP's 10th vacation and never purchased insurance before. If so,,, with this potential loss,,, they are still money ahead of the insurance game.

If Carnival chooses to make the OP whole,, I've got a problem.

If Carnival chooses to work with the OP, along with any associated additional fees as per policy, then I hope all works out well.

I agree. Does Carnival really know if a person is dying? How many people that wanted to cancel would use that excuse and want a refund?

I agree. Does Carnival really know if a person is dying? How many people that wanted to cancel would use that excuse and want a refund?

I letter from her oncologist stating that would suffice I would think. We could provide that if we decided to pursue a rescheduling of the cruise. We're going to go and hope that she passes after we return.

So very sorry for your troubles. You've gotten some very sound advice so I offer none. But this should be a wake up call for those who think the insurance is a waste of money. Not going is bad enough but if you get word and needed to get home, and had to fly from overseas on the spot, you'd pay a fortune to get home. I hope Carnival will work with you.

I am glad to hear you are going on your cruise. Hopefully you and your daughter will enjoy your time and come back even better prepared to deal with what lies ahead for your family and your MIL. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

As you are a travel agent, you will also now have some first hand knowledge when advising your clients re travel insurance.

So very sorry for your troubles. You've gotten some very sound advice so I offer none. But this should be a wake up call for those who think the insurance is a waste of money. Not going is bad enough but if you get word and needed to get home, and had to fly from overseas on the spot, you'd pay a fortune to get home. I hope Carnival will work with you.

I think the OP, as a travel agent, would be quite well versed as to the benefits of travel insurance but chose not to purchase it.

I think the OP, as a travel agent, would be quite well versed as to the benefits of travel insurance but chose not to purchase it.

Please excuse me for not wading thru very post on this thread but as a TA, OP should already know the answers to her questions.

Please excuse me for not wading thru very post on this thread but as a TA, OP should already know the answers to her questions.

I wasnt saying it to you per se :) Just pointing out the fact that I too think the OP knew the consequences. And yes, I agree, also knew the answers to the questions posed. FYI, even if you had read all the posts it wasnt on this thread that the TA aspect was stated...its another thread of the OP's, so you had no way of knowing :)

But this should be a wake up call for those who think the insurance is a waste of money.......

How is this a wake up call for anything? I think you are missing the point that some people choose to self-insure. That is a perfectly reasonable decision (if you can afford to cover incidents which may arise), just as buying insurance is also a perfectly reasonable decision.

I have been on some 30 cruises and many times that on land vacations, and have never purchased insurance. Nor have I ever needed it. At this point I am thousands of dollars ahead. Unfortunately, my cruising days are ending, but if I had to cover a large uninsured loss, I would probably still be way ahead. I don't see how the occasional necessity to cancel demonstrates anything in terms of choosing to insure or not to insure. It is one of the risks one accepts when choosing not to insure.

About Carnival:

I'm sorry but you are incorrect, we dealt with this exact scenario, I am the one who wrote Carnival on behalf of my parents in their hour of grief and helped them send the electronic copy of the death certificate, and they most certainly did extend a compassionate waiver for them and a full credit for the cruise (which they were able to take 6 months later)

My mother in law just got word that she's terminal - doctors said that they can't pinpoint it but it could be 6 days or 6 weeks. So I really shouldn't go on my cruise in 32 days.

In looking at the cancellation policies, I lose 50% of the fare. I guess it will do me no good to call and ask if we can rebook at a later date without losing all that money. I don't have trip insurance.

Im sorry about your MIL. How sad. :( Anyhow, when we originally booked the cruise we had 6 of us but 2 girls ended up cancelling and I ended up calling to move the remaining 4 to one room, and the lady I got on the phone felt bad that I put the whole thing on my credit card and she gave ME the $200 cruise credit for each of them, and charged us no change fees to move the 4 of us to one room. If you get a nice sympathetic person on the phone, ya never know. Good luck.

Archived