Flying into MIA, hotel in FLL

El_Rolfo

What would you suggest as a way of transportation when flying into MIA on a Friday afternoon during worst rush hours (I guess, plane arrives at 4 pm), and needing to get to Hyatt pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale?

You have options:

• A one way rental car from MIA to FLL is likely the cheapest way to get there - and would let you go someplace for breakfast and do some last minute shopping.
  • A taxi will run $85+ :eek:

• QLS transportation (www.qualitylimoservice.com ), MJS transportation (www.gomjstrans.com ) and Go Airport Shuttle (http://goairportshuttle.com/) are FLL based shuttle services with reasonable prices
  • American Shuttle is based inside the MIA airport (www.americanshuttle.com)
  • Larry's Limos has been suggested on these boards for Miami service - probably comparable to taxi fares, but hopefully a much nicer ride.
  • http://www.tri-rail.com/ to Fort Lauderdale and then a taxi to your hotel might save you some $$

Good luck! :)

You have options:

• A one way rental car from MIA to FLL is likely the cheapest way to get there - and would let you go someplace for breakfast and do some last minute shopping.

Unfortunately, any savings from a rental car would be negated by the $21 per day parking charge at Pier 66.

You have options:

• A taxi will run $85+ :eek:

• QLS transportation (www.qualitylimoservice.com ), MJS transportation (www.gomjstrans.com ) and Go Airport Shuttle (http://goairportshuttle.com/) are FLL based shuttle services with reasonable prices
  • American Shuttle is based inside the MIA airport (www.americanshuttle.com)
  • Larry's Limos has been suggested on these boards for Miami service - probably comparable to taxi fares, but hopefully a much nicer ride.
  • http://www.tri-rail.com/ to Fort Lauderdale and then a taxi to your hotel might save you some $$

Good luck! :)

Thank you! I'll have a look at these alternatives, and see what would suit us best. We do have a car booked already, but that can be cancelled if necessary.

If we were to drive, what would be the optimal route?

Unfortunately, any savings from a rental car would be negated by the $21 per day parking charge at Pier 66.

Still might be better than an $85+ cab (and another cab to PE) or $40+ per person for shared shuttle service (and a cab to PE the next morning). The best option of one may be different than the best option for others. :cool:

Hmm, what if I rent through avis (there seems to be an avis office at the hotel), and drop the car off the same day we arrive. Seems the opening hours are bad, though, as the office closes at 6, and we'll never make it til that. Maybe they have some kind of key drop-off at the reception...?

Hmm, what if I rent through avis (there seems to be an avis office at the hotel), and drop the car off the same day we arrive. Seems the opening hours are bad, though, as the office closes at 6, and we'll never make it til that. Maybe they have some kind of key drop-off at the reception...?

Worth a phone call! :cool:

If the office is right at the hotel, drop it off the next morning. The rate is for a 24 hr period so you aren't spending any more by not dropping it off the same day. Drive up Friday evening, return the keys on Saturday morning, then take a cab to the port. That's what we're doing when we go on our cruise.

If the office is right at the hotel, drop it off the next morning. The rate is for a 24 hr period so you aren't spending any more by not dropping it off the same day. Drive up Friday evening, return the keys on Saturday morning, then take a cab to the port. That's what we're doing when we go on our cruise.

But if he keeps the car until the next morning he pays the hotel's $21 parking fee. :( Unless he plans to use the car that night/next morning he could avoid the parking fee by returning the car to Avis.

On the other hand it may be better to keep the car, pay for parking, and then drop the car at FLL the next day and avoid paying for a cab to PE. Tricky! :confused:

• 2 months later...

Back thinking about this. :)

I've done some research, and seems Super Shuttle could take us from MIA to Hyatt Pier 66 and back on the 29th from Hilton Marina. Would cost ~$60 each way for two persons. Is this something you'd recommend? I've used them getting from LAX to the pier which worked out nicely. Even though I consider myself a good driver, I'd maybe rather use a shuttle than renting a car and driving to Fort Lauderdale during rush hour anyway (also not being familiar with toll roads might confuse me).

The car rent would be ~$40 each way + gas, so the difference is not that huge...

Additionally, American cancelled our flight home (FLL-JFK-HEL) and our reservation showed FLL-ORD-EWR-transfer to JFK on our own-HEL which just wasn't acceptable. Changed it to MIA-JFK-HEL, therefore we need to get back to MIA on our way back also, otherwise we'd just have taken the cab on the way back to FLL.

What do you think, car or shuttle? Does the shuttle take ages to get to the hotel?

Archived