Our First Dam Ship: Amsterdam to Alaska Trip Review

Steppy08

The staff

Our observations of the staff on this cruise led to an interesting discussion, fairly early into the voyage, between Steve and I. The majority of our cruises have been 7 days, and normally on those we manage to get to know several staff members fairly well. Not so this time. It seemed to us that the staff were generally not quite as friendly as we were used to. There was no small talk in the dining room, at the bars. We did have a few conversations with the Heris as we passed them in the halls. And generally speaking, we also noticed a bit more of a language barrier, especially with the staff in the Lido when requesting food or them clearing our plates. We wonder if it's because they don't have to speak English as frequently (because they are all from the same country). On other lines, sometimes English is the only common language the crew members have, so they are forced to become more fluent in it.

The little things.

In ending on a positive note, we really liked all the little things that HAL does. The personalized invitations to cocktail receptions, lunches, and notices were nice. The chocolates on your bed every night, as well as the reminders about changing clocks forward/behind. I LOVED the cruise log at the end of the trip. (Steve and I couldn't help but wonder what the World Voyage Log looked like! Maybe someday we'll find out.) In many ways it really was the just slightly more refined version of a mass market line that we hoped it would be. So although we have not been completely converted to HAL cheerleaders, if all things were equal in itineraries and close in price, we probably would prefer HAL for cruises in the future.

Wow, that was the best review I've ever read, and I've read tons of them. So well done, great humour, lots of detail and helpful information, thank you so very much for capturing the essence of your wonderful trip. We are cruising to Alaska on HAL in August, our first time on HAL after several cruises on Princess, so very curious to see how it will be.

Just wanted to note, that in your post above you noted the little things that HAL did that you liked...personalized invitations, chocolates at night, reminders of time changes etc....well, you must try Princess...they do all of those things and more as a routine on every ship for every passenger regardless of stateroom. The service is fantastic consistently on Princess and the ships are so beautiful. Just sayin...you might want to add that cruise line to you future plans sometime. Just as I look forward to trying HAL and many other lines that I'm sure are wonderful....any cruise is wonderful, right?

Thank you again for sharing your trip with us. You are amazing!

I found this review on the list of 2013 Alaska reviews and just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading EVERY word and savoring each photo! Outstanding!! I have done several photo reviews and can appreciate all the time and effort that went into this one.

We will be spending a couple of days in Vancouver prior to our cruise next month and I was interested in how you used the all day transit pass. My plan was to use the HOHO trolley, but now may rethink those plans. We are not city people so the thought of trying to figure out the system is a bit scared to me. :eek:

I'm so glad you brought this review back to the first page. I didn't see it til now and have just spent the last 2 hours or more going through the review and all the pictures. Feel like I just read a great book with illustrations.

To the OP - thank you for a fantastic review.

Catherine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for taking the time to post this most enjoyable review. It has made me reconsider taking an Alaskan cruise. I am a "fun in the sun" kind of girl that really doesn't enjoy cold weather, but now I think that I would enjoy an Alaskan vacation. Great review and great pictures. Again, thanks.

Linda

Wow, it must be Easter because my review has just been resurrected! Thank you to everyone for reading it.

AryMay - we used the all day pass for the Sea Taxi, bus to Stanley Park, and the train back to the airport. It's good on all mass transit. It's not hard to figure out the system if you do a little research before... And it's a bit of an adventure.

• 8 months later...
Hey Amy,

Even though it is late, thanks for a great trip report.

Ira

You're most welcome! I love it when my review randomly pops back into consciousness. It gives me a chance to re-live the trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums