Bouchart Gardens Vancover

Could anyone give me information about the Bouchart Gardens? We are planning an Alaska cruise and would be interested in visiting the gardens as a side trip. How convienent is it to Vancouver? What transportation is there, time involved etc. Thanks for your help!:)

Beverly

The Butchart Gardens are actually near Victoria, not Vancouver. We rented a car and took the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria after our Alaska cruise. It took about 45 minutes to drive to the ferry from the pier. The ferry ride was about 1-1/2 hours. Then it was another 30-40 minute drive to the Gardens from the ferry. We stayed overnight in Victoria 2 nights. We spent 6 hours at the Gardens, this included all the walking around, looking at flowers, taking pictures of flowers, having the Cream Tea at the restaurant, and shopping in the gift shop. We would have spent longer but we were getting tired! There is so much to see there.

Amanda

We did this a few years ago before an Alaskan cruise. We stayed 2 nights in Vancouver. We took a Grey Lines tour. It was an all day trip. We first took a bus and then a ferry to Victoria and then another bus to the Gardens. It was really beautiful and well worth it. After the Gardens we had some free time in Victoria where we had a late lunch.

Butchart Gardens are wonderful and worth the trip, but you do have to devote a full day if you are in Vancouver. The first time we were there, we thought we could do it on our own in less time, but found out we were overly optimistic and missed it. On our second visit to Vancouver we took the bus excursion and really enjoyed the Gardens and Victoria.

I would plan on spending a couple of nights in Victoria. As others have said, it's a bit of a hike to get there from Vancouver. I can't remember which company we used, but after disembarking from our cruise, we took the bus from Canada Place to the ferry (about 90 mintue ride counting a stop at the main bus depot), got off the bus (which goes onto the ferry so you don't have to handle anything but your carryon stuff), had a lovely ride to Vancouver Island, then reboarded the bus to go to downtown Victoria. We rented a car the next day to drive up to the gardens. There is also a winery on the way, although we didn't stop there. After the garden (we spent about 4 hours there just looking at the plants), we went to Brentwood Bay, had lunch right at the ferry stop, put our car on the ferry across to (I forget the name of the town), and then drove back down to Victoria, stopping at a scenic point for dessert. It's a lovely way to spend a day, but I highly recommend at least one night, preferably two because there are also lots of wonderful things to see/restaurants to eat in in Victoria proper.

The gardens are well worth the drive but it's a fairly long day if coming from Vancouver with the ferry ride and all. I agree with the other posts in that you might want to consider looking into staying a day or two in Victoria and then take in ALL the sights..the Legislature, BC museam, Wax museam...tea at the Empress Hotel. The gardens are beautiful in summer...and fantastic in winter with all the lights. Lots of walking so bring flat shoes!

I tried to do the Butchart Gardens in about two hours. It's all a blur. Plan for many wonderful hours there. Last year our TA contacted Grayline Tours (and she is for this year also) for a few days in Victoria. We are staying at an okay hotel (same one as last year), doing the city tour, Butchart Gardens and the high tea at the Fairmont Empress Hotel. I do highly recommend that high tea. It is kind of pricey but a really nice experience (more of a female thing, however). The ferry ride to Victoria was a real thrill for us also.

Robin :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Could anyone give me information about the Bouchart Gardens? We are planning an Alaska cruise and would be interested in visiting the gardens as a side trip. How convienent is it to Vancouver? What transportation is there, time involved etc. Thanks for your help!:)

Beverly

We went to the Bouchart Gardens when we docked from our NCL cruise. Unfortunately, we arrived there at night and although the gardens were beautiful, they were poorly lit and we could not see the beauty. If you do not have time to do them during the day don't do the gardens at all - the cost for a taxi at the pier is price set, so take the first one you can and ask the driver to wait for you and take you back to the ship.

Vacationgal...Yes, Butchart Gardens is a beautiful place and well worth a visit. Some of the Alaska cruises have a stop in Victoria others in Vancouver, some might have both? If you were coming from Vancouver, it really isn't a DAY trip from there( the ferry ride alone is 1 1/2 hours each way and then tack on up to an hour to get to the ferry terminal in Vancouver and 1/2 to drive to Butchart Gardens from the Victoria ferry terminal. That said...It is a beautiful ferry ride and Victoria is a really beautiful place. Plan the trip and try to come and stay here for a few days. You'll be glad you did.

Archived