Last-minute shore and cruisetour excursions

ScottVan

We have left some unplanned time on an upcoming Alaska cruise (visiting Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan by ship and Denali prior to the cruise, all via Princess). We booked the excursions we were certain we didn't want to miss, but I'm wondering about people's experiences with booking excursions at the last minute (either via the cruise line or via an entrepreneur at the dock). At each of our 3 ports, there will be 4 ships in town that day. Will we find all the excursions filled up if we wake up that morning and decide we want to do something? Same question for our time at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Not that we mind some "down" time and amusing ourselves, of course.

Thanks in advance for any advice; I did check these fora for answers to this, but did not find any (doesn't mean they aren't here, of course).

We have left some unplanned time on an upcoming Alaska cruise (visiting Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan by ship and Denali prior to the cruise, all via Princess). We booked the excursions we were certain we didn't want to miss, but I'm wondering about people's experiences with booking excursions at the last minute (either via the cruise line or via an entrepreneur at the dock). At each of our 3 ports, there will be 4 ships in town that day. Will we find all the excursions filled up if we wake up that morning and decide we want to do something? Same question for our time at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Not that we mind some "down" time and amusing ourselves, of course.

Thanks in advance for any advice; I did check these fora for answers to this, but did not find any (doesn't mean they aren't here, of course).

Most of the popular excursions will be full before the cruise even starts. You might find some tours from local suppliers on the pier when you dock.Their time might not always match with port times.

We walked off the ship in Ketchikan 2 weeks ago and were able to book a seaplane flight over Misty Fjords (90 minutes with a brief landing). There were booths right at the dock and they were "filling seats that had not been sold". We went right away with Misty Fjords Air (I think that was the company), Kevin was the pilot. It was fantastic sunny weather and a great tour! Juneau also had tours available near the docks....some on the same excursions as the ships!

It significantly depends on what type of tours you want. Many will not be available. What will be available are your bulk tours,that take a lot of people. You usually can take a whale watch out of Juneau, there are now over 20 vendors. Flights are frequently sold out with the exception of Ketchikan, which does have walkup, but you are best to do this early in your port day.

In my opinion, Alaska isn't the place to "wing it". At the very least have several tours selection of interest for you. I never recommend traveling like on a Caribbean cruise, and just figure on jumping in a taxi, and letting a guide figure something out. :)

Since it appears you don't have any priorities last minute bookings may be the best option for you.

For me, I don't want down time because I was late booking tours, and nothing available of interest. Figure out your interest and direction.

Princess usually has a lot of options with lodge bookings. You may want to do this early in your visit however.

I tend to be a lot more casual about tour bookings for myself as I've been to all the major places in Alaska and know them well.

But that's me.

I prefer to just start walking and head out on my own, but that is my choice and I know where I am going and what I am doing.

for a once in a lifetime trip, I would book ahead and make the most of my time.

Archived